how many scheduled hobbies/activities do you do now that youre retired?

retiringat50

Recycles dryer sheets
do you have something scheduled every day? couple things a day? couple things per week? do you find if you dont have something scheduled you tend to slow down more? get bored?

Same here! No, no, no!

In fact, we don't even know where we are going to be a week in advance (fulltime RVer).

Flexibility is priceless!

Audrey

I don't do much, don't wanta do much, and just enjoy not having to do anything.

do you have something scheduled every day? couple things a day? couple things per week? do you find if you dont have something scheduled you tend to slow down more? get bored?

i've been contemplating my navel quite a bit lately. i schedule navel contemplation a few times a day. i would do other things but contemplating my navel doesn't leave much time for other activity. when i don't schedule it, i get lazy about contemplating. when i get bored, i place a craigslist ad to contemplate somebody else's navel.

I play poker three times a week. I spend an hour swimming laps every day. I have an average of 1 meeting per week on homeowner association issues. We go out to dinner with friends at least twice a week. How did I ever have time to work?:D

Grumpy

I do have a scheduled gardening session twice a week, which I'm starting to resent. I'm going to cut back to once a week so it will be more enjoyable.

I don't schedule anything....especially not hobbies! Yuk!

Many years ago I had a friend that came over about every week or 2, and he would always comment that I hadn't got much work accomplished on my railroad layout. I told him that I just did things at a very leisurely pace, 'cause I was in no hurry. My hobby was (is) for relaxation.

He kept it up, and I blew it off.....until one day when I had my fill. I told him, "This is a HOBBY....NOT a JOBBY...so shut your d*mn mouth!" I guess that p*ssed him off, 'cause he quit coming by! :D

So, no, I don't 'schedule' hobbies or other activities. BTW, I still thoroughly enjoy that guy's absence! :)

Some days I go fishing, some days I don't. Go for walks or bicycle rides if the weather's decent and I'm not fishing. In winter I hibernate - me and cold weather do not get along well, I only go outside to buy food and get the newspaper. Wife feels the same.

Right now dealing with a family member who is moving, but hasn't moved since 1964 and is more than a little overwhelmed. Help with father-in-law who is a nice guy but mechanically challenged at keeping up a house. Last summer wife and I painted four rooms that hadn't been done for 20+ years. Post irrelevant messages here. Read, watch TV some, I'm starting a part-time job next week just to get out more, but knowing that working is optional is good. If they're not nice I'll just give 'em the finger and go home.

Having to be somewhere at a specific time sounds like work to me ;).

I don't like to punch the clock but I keep busy everyday. Got a whole pile of projects that I work on.

One night a week I take a class at the city owned Cultural Arts Center from 7-10. Getting some of my city income tax back that I don't pay anymore. :D Taking a class in copper enameling right now and maybe in the spring I might take the bronze casting class.

One night a month I have a woodworking club meeting and one night a month I have an arts guild meeting.

In three months of retirement I haven't been more than about 15 miles from home, just too many things going on to waste time riding around burning up gas.

At about 9 every morning I'm out in my shop working on the latest project. I'm into sewing right now, taught myself how to use DW's sewing machine and took a class in upholstery about a month ago. My first project was new chair seats in the dining room and then I moved on to valances and jabots for the dining room windows. Waiting on a fabric order now to make new cushions for chairs in our sunroom.

Part of the drape project.

DRAPE1.JPG

I have no hobbies scheduled. I exercise daily and enjoy it, but consider it a healthy habit rather than a hobby.

Oddly, I was intensely involved in hobbies and hobby clubs before I retired and I am not sure why. I suspect it was because work was so stressful that I needed to "escape" from it by losing myself in several hobbies.

I've acquired a couple of new interests since retiring, but the involvement is casual and sporadic.

When I called it quits at 41, I did very little for a couple of months, then I started projects around the house. Worked myself silly for a while. Then I got tired again.

Nine years later, the only scheduled time I have is for volunteering at my local police dept. Sometimes I find myself looking around the house and I think that I need to get going on another project. Most times, I just wave my hand, and figure it can wait until another day.

When I was working, I'd schedule after-work activities in order to be able to tell the boss "It's 5:30 PM and I need to be at my ____ class in an hour." I still go to tae kwon do three nights a week at 7 PM.

Perhaps that boss-avoidance tactic has made me allergic to appointments or schedules, but now I find that I even resent having to drag my butt into the doctor's office at an appointed time. I enjoy tae kwon do and I know it does good things for me, but most nights I still have to give myself a stern talking-to before I get going. If my kid wasn't in the same class then I'd have a hard time getting motivated.

Otherwise I enjoy an unscheduled life. I check the surf forecast every morning, work on honey-do projects if I'm not surfing, enjoy lunch when I'm hungry, nap if I'm sleepy, and spend the rest of the day with family or reading. It's too bad that more avocations couldn't be like that.

Except for this time of year, I play golf regularly on Tue, Wed, Fri, and Saturday. I leave the other days open for anything else, sometimes more golf. :) I also walk 2-3 miles everyday with my mutt.

So, I wouldn't call it a schedule. More of a routine.

I don't have any items scheduled on a daily or weekly basis.
But I do try and do my stretching exercises and take a daily walk so my back doesn't 'go to hell' on me. I also try to practice my Mandarin lessons (one of my things to do before I croak) on my mp3 player. Also on the 'try list' is to once a day take a peek at this forum (although I have been pre-occupied with more important (hard to believe I know) things on occasion. I am trying to get to get re-acquainted with my old 'fishing' hobby, but I haven't yet gotten to it. Oh I do run through my bank and investment sites online at least 3 or 4 times a week.
... but NO, nothing scheduled.

Last edited:
So, I wouldn't call it a schedule. More of a routine.

I'm answering for my FIRE'd parents (they are too busy to hang here) I see them enjoying their routines...braille transcription on Tuesdays - with monthly luncheons on Fridays (Mom), groc shopping on Thursdays (Mom), aerobics Tues pm (Mom), RAC planes first thing in am then bike riding along the Sac bike trails M-F (Dad)...all the other fun stuff they do just fills in the gaps around their routines :) Such great role models for how I plan to retire! (they have been through phases - yoga, Sac RR museum volunteer, team sports, LOTS of biking, hiking, golf, Italian lessons, travel, the list goes on! They just do stuff that interests them for the time being, sometimes it requires a temporary schedule) Doesn't look painful a bit!

Such great role models for how I plan to retire! (they have been through phases - yoga, Sac RR museum volunteer, team sports, LOTS of biking, hiking, golf, Italian lessons, travel, the list goes on! They just do stuff that interests them for the time being, sometimes it requires a temporary schedule) Doesn't look painful a bit!

That is exactly what I want my retirement to be like, too! That sounds idyllic.

My exercise goal is running 20 mi/week but I stop running if a minor injury developes or I get sick or we go on vacation. Then there is French at the JC. Also paint in oils (my avatar is a part of a painting). Then there are the blue bunnies -- oops, shouldn't have mentioned those.

I've got pretty good at starting fires in our fireplace on these winter evenings and then turning off the house forced air heat. That's generally around 4pm when I can settle down with a glass of Cab and a piece of gruyere cheese -- tough life.

My exercise goal is running 20 mi/week but I stop running if a minor injury developes or I get sick or we go on vacation. Then there is French at the JC. Also paint in oils (my avatar is a part of a painting). Then there are the blue bunnies -- oops, shouldn't have mentioned those.

I've got pretty good at starting fires in our fireplace on these winter evenings and then turning off the house forced air heat. That's generally around 4pm when I can settle down with a glass of Cab and a piece of gruyere cheese -- tough life.

You painted the painting in your avatar?!!! I'm impressed. I think it is so cool. :)

Nothing more scheduled

than weekly beer busts at a local bar with friends.

Back
Top Bottom