How many times did you move the goal posts?

Planned on 62.
Three months after DW passed I met with Fido rep and realized I was FI. Three months later my department had a RIF and I let it be known I would be happy to take one for the team.
So once, 62 to 54.

Also, keeping fingers crossed that a big reorg at Megacorp makes the decision for me with a comfy "get-lost" package.

I kept hoping for the same thing. After about 5 reorgs, spinoffs, buyouts, mergers, corporate restructurings... All involving layoffs... I gave up. I worked for General Instrument, which was acquired by Motorola in 2000. Went from over 130k employees to about 8k at the time my division was sold to a much smaller company. And still my name was never on the layoff/severance package list. I'd let my manager, and his manager know that I'd be happy to "save" someone else's job if they needed names to write down. Ended up quitting without a package. 2 years later they did lay off some folks from my group.... so perhaps I should have hung in there. ...nah!

It was easier for me to adjust the spending side of the equation instead of the income side.

Well said. In this culture so many people don’t get that, thinking if they only had more money all their problems would be solved. Having more money is just as much a function of spending less as it is earning more...

Well said. In this culture so many people don’t get that, thinking if they only had more money all their problems would be solved. Having more money is just as much a function of spending less as it is earning more...

All the same, I'd rather have money and not need it than need it and not have it.

Since I was a young fellow, my goal was age 55, which would have been in 2014. However, the 2008-09 stock market meltdown did two things: 1) it wiped out well over half of our portfolio; and 2) it convinced me that I should add a bigger cushion in our plans. The current goal is age 60 in 2019. If the market continues on its current tear, we could move that up a year.

Grumpy
I am almost on same timeline (59.5 or 60). I am moving timeline from Dec 2018 to Feb 2020. I am doing this because although market is doing well, what goes up must come down. Most cases lol. For us, it is all about the residual income that is cola’d. DW and I will both have pensions and she will get her SS in two years when she turns 65. These factors make it possible to bring in almost 8k monthly guaranteed income cola’d plus our 900k investments. We can actually live okay on 7k but want to travel and leave the kids and grandkids something..
Getting close, with vacation and so forth m, 24 months from December. It will be nice to start the count down [emoji106]

I've lost track, as I always had a moving target, that was constantly being massaged as I got older, gained experience, and saw the stock market do scary things.

I think the first goal I set was back in 1999, when I was 29. At that point, I had just finished paying off a bad divorce, got my credit back together, got a few raises, refinanced the condo, etc, and thought I was sitting pretty. I figured that if I had $1M, and no mortgage debt, I'd be ready to pull the plug.

But, over the years, inflation, as low as it was, chewed away at that figure. 2000 and 2001 were very volatile years where I pushed to new highs, but come December 31 was still down overall. And 2002 just seemed to be a bad year overall.

Then, housing prices started shooting up, but I figured that wouldn't factor in much, because even if I bought high, I'd also be selling high. By 2005-2006, I started focusing on age 46, 2016. April 1, 2016 to be exact. My birthday is April 2. Even though my birthday fell on a Saturday that year so I'd be off work anyway, I was looking forward to waking up on my birthday, knowing I'd never have to go back to the office again. I thought 45 was a nice, round number to retire at, but 46 would give me a built-in "one more year". Also, I had a spreadsheet that calculated, at the rate I was going, that I should break $1M with room to spare in 2016.

Then, the Great Recession hit, and I lost half of everything. At that point, I figured I'd just see where the economy went, before focusing too much on anything. Plus, it was still far enough away that I figured anything could happen. I recovered pretty quickly from the Great Recession though, so I started focusing on 2016 again.

But then, in 2011, I went on a trip to Aruba. And I liked it. That was the first real vacation I had been on in ages. I also started realizing that I didn't want to live out my retirement days where I currently live, but I still want to stay somewhat in the DC area, so my housing costs might be more than I think in retirement.

At some point, I did come to the realization that $1M really wasn't enough, even with a paid off mortgage. BTW, I ended up hitting $1M briefly in 2014, about a year and a half ahead of plan. And I think, as I got closer to $1M, I started realizing it wasn't so exotic, after all.

I think it was around 2013 I started to shift my thinking that age 50 would be a more reasonable goal, and the spreadsheet predicted I could have close to $2M by then. FireCalc also predicted that I'd have a pretty good chance of survival of living off of $50K per year, if I retired at 50. At the time, I was living off of nowhere near that amount, after taxes were taken out, so $50k seemed like a lot of money.

In early 2015 I ran another calculation, that said I'd have a good chance of making it on $60K per year, if I retired at 50. But then the economy flattened out. So, I started figuring okay, no later than 51, unless the economy is totally shot. And if I wasn't quite where I'd want to be, I'd just take my chances, rough it a bit here and there, etc.

Then, in 2016, a chain of events that would have a pretty big impact started to unfold. First, my Grandfather passed away less than a month from his 102nd birthday. My Dad, who had been taking care of Granddad, had let his own health go, but wouldn't tell anybody, and he passed away in March of this year, 3 days after his 71st birthday. It turns out they had both saved up a lot more than I had ever imagined. Both estates are still going through probate. However, the majority of assets have cleared, and the last time I added everything up, my total investible assets are around $1.8M. I do still have a mortgage, but it's only around $63K.

Anyway, now that I'm closing in on that $2M mark, I hate to say it, I do occasionally question whether even that is still enough. But, I think that's just OMY syndrome setting in. FireCalc says I could retire in 2018 and have a 95.7% chance of making it on $80K per year, and a 94.9% chance of making it on $100K, if I wait until 2021, at age 51. So if I really wanted to, I could pull the plug right now.

Realistically though, I think I'm still going to wait a bit. I've tried pre-qualifying for a mortgage, and it's been more complicated than I thought...even with the assets I have. And once I retire, I'd need a bigger down payment. So, I think I want to work at least until I have a new house secured. And, when I do go out, I want it to be in the early part of the year, so I can do another Roth, go out right after raises kick in so my leave gets paid out at the higher rate, get my spring bonus, etc. Plus, I look at spring as a time of re-birth, so I think that's a great time to retire.

I'm also burning out at work though. So regardless of what happens, I think I'm still looking at no later than age 50...unless the market really tanks. Anyway, thanks for reading...hope this wasn't *too* much to wade through! :D

Our first goal was age 54, when I reached 30 year pension goal. We had been to a few FA and looked at spending, pension and our savings and were told we were "good to go". At age 54, I started to investigate and realized the healthcare benefit at age 60 was far too valuable to leave behind, so that became our goal. From 54-60, I really started to hone in on our spending budget, and look at the whole picture. In 2015, found this site and really began my education. Retired age 60, doing fine. Have to say that the spending part of retirement budget was the most important to me. It was easier to become more frugal than work longer for more income!

Andre1969, thanks for this post, you and I are almost in exactly the same boat, including age and assets. I've moved the goalposts all over the place as well. I once posted that determining when you were FI and ready to ER was like trying to grab a fish.
Great thread, good luck to all!

I've lost track, as I always had a moving target, that was constantly being massaged as I got older, gained experience, and saw the stock market do scary things.

I think the first goal I set was back in 1999, when I was 29. At that point, I had just finished paying off a bad divorce, got my credit back together, got a few raises, refinanced the condo, etc, and thought I was sitting pretty. I figured that if I had $1M, and no mortgage debt, I'd be ready to pull the plug.

But, over the years, inflation, as low as it was, chewed away at that figure. 2000 and 2001 were very volatile years where I pushed to new highs, but come December 31 was still down overall. And 2002 just seemed to be a bad year overall.

Then, housing prices started shooting up, but I figured that wouldn't factor in much, because even if I bought high, I'd also be selling high. By 2005-2006, I started focusing on age 46, 2016. April 1, 2016 to be exact. My birthday is April 2. Even though my birthday fell on a Saturday that year so I'd be off work anyway, I was looking forward to waking up on my birthday, knowing I'd never have to go back to the office again. I thought 45 was a nice, round number to retire at, but 46 would give me a built-in "one more year". Also, I had a spreadsheet that calculated, at the rate I was going, that I should break $1M with room to spare in 2016.

Then, the Great Recession hit, and I lost half of everything. At that point, I figured I'd just see where the economy went, before focusing too much on anything. Plus, it was still far enough away that I figured anything could happen. I recovered pretty quickly from the Great Recession though, so I started focusing on 2016 again.

But then, in 2011, I went on a trip to Aruba. And I liked it. That was the first real vacation I had been on in ages. I also started realizing that I didn't want to live out my retirement days where I currently live, but I still want to stay somewhat in the DC area, so my housing costs might be more than I think in retirement.

At some point, I did come to the realization that $1M really wasn't enough, even with a paid off mortgage. BTW, I ended up hitting $1M briefly in 2014, about a year and a half ahead of plan. And I think, as I got closer to $1M, I started realizing it wasn't so exotic, after all.

I think it was around 2013 I started to shift my thinking that age 50 would be a more reasonable goal, and the spreadsheet predicted I could have close to $2M by then. FireCalc also predicted that I'd have a pretty good chance of survival of living off of $50K per year, if I retired at 50. At the time, I was living off of nowhere near that amount, after taxes were taken out, so $50k seemed like a lot of money.

In early 2015 I ran another calculation, that said I'd have a good chance of making it on $60K per year, if I retired at 50. But then the economy flattened out. So, I started figuring okay, no later than 51, unless the economy is totally shot. And if I wasn't quite where I'd want to be, I'd just take my chances, rough it a bit here and there, etc.

Then, in 2016, a chain of events that would have a pretty big impact started to unfold. First, my Grandfather passed away less than a month from his 102nd birthday. My Dad, who had been taking care of Granddad, had let his own health go, but wouldn't tell anybody, and he passed away in March of this year, 3 days after his 71st birthday. It turns out they had both saved up a lot more than I had ever imagined. Both estates are still going through probate. However, the majority of assets have cleared, and the last time I added everything up, my total investible assets are around $1.8M. I do still have a mortgage, but it's only around $63K.

Anyway, now that I'm closing in on that $2M mark, I hate to say it, I do occasionally question whether even that is still enough. But, I think that's just OMY syndrome setting in. FireCalc says I could retire in 2018 and have a 95.7% chance of making it on $80K per year, and a 94.9% chance of making it on $100K, if I wait until 2021, at age 51. So if I really wanted to, I could pull the plug right now.

Realistically though, I think I'm still going to wait a bit. I've tried pre-qualifying for a mortgage, and it's been more complicated than I thought...even with the assets I have. And once I retire, I'd need a bigger down payment. So, I think I want to work at least until I have a new house secured. And, when I do go out, I want it to be in the early part of the year, so I can do another Roth, go out right after raises kick in so my leave gets paid out at the higher rate, get my spring bonus, etc. Plus, I look at spring as a time of re-birth, so I think that's a great time to retire.

I'm also burning out at work though. So regardless of what happens, I think I'm still looking at no later than age 50...unless the market really tanks. Anyway, thanks for reading...hope this wasn't *too* much to wade through! :D

Once. Got talked into working part time (was a generous offer) for six months. Obviously not generous enough.

I don't have net-worth goalposts - it's a range, and it can be re-evaluated.

There are certain ages (other than "now" and "ASAP) such as 55 or 59.5 etc where certain rules kick in that come into consideration. I'm asking myself, can I last until 55, and do I need to.

Also as a late parent and hopeful early retiree, the FAFSA crunch may make it make sense to quit work before kids get to college.

I adjusted the target age when I was in my early 30’s. When I hit the age, it was all smiles. The goal of 100% salary replacement was met sooner. When I hit the age, the money picture had been upgraded from a “print to a painting.” The posts weren’t NFL for me, I’m into NHL and the goal posts could be knocked off and put back on.

I wanted to retire at 50 when I would get not only my pension but also health care for life. I moved it back 2 years to 52 so that I could pay off my house before I retired. Then I walked out. After a few months I went back to work but for myself. I worked for myself for a few years until I was bought out. Then I worked for someone else for two years until I had enough. By enough I do not mean enough money, I mean I was really tired of the hostile work environment there. So I guess you can say I move the goalposts three times.

Initially:. Partial DBP + HC
1st: Paid off primary residence
2nd: Bought out
3rd: Fed up

I'm targeting retiring before I hit 50 in 2020. Let's see if that happens. I don't have a specific number and any previously target number I likely would have hit already.

I started a career late in life and set a goal to retire at 60.
Delayed that to 62 because of a very large stock option vesting at that time.
Like others who retired in 2010, the increase in net worth has been unexpected but welcome.

Shortly after 2010, I set it at the summer of 2023. I don't think I will move my target, as it is not tied to any financial goal. It is when my younger kid goes to college.

I have a 10k day thread here to track my target.

This sort of begs the questions which I didn't really pick up on the replies... did your projected RE budget/income go up/down/match your final expense/income years? From your earlier plans for FI, how much did your FI number change (i.e. 20 years ago you thought $1M was the number and now its $3M or projected desired income was $50K, but now it's $150K)? How much do you contribute to the creep vs just missing the mark?

I set a goal to retire at 50 when I graduated from college. I had no idea how much money I would need. When I was 40 I looked to see if I was "on track" but it was a disorganized attempt. When I was 45 I started to do real calculations. I was "on track" given the little education on ER that I had at the time. When I was 48 I started reading and realized I was very close to meeting my goal. I then set a withdrawal rate goal and got VERY serious about looking at what my potential budget should be. The budget moved ALOT over the next 2 years (upward - I was getting more conservative and overestimating lots of expenses in an attempt to develop "belts and suspenders"). At 50 I moved the post when I set a 3% initial withdrawal rate goal (down from 3.5%). I retired at 52. Not far off a goal that I set 30+ years ago !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom