How much do you spend on your home?

Total of 226 per month taxes and insurance. Repairs are just handled as they come up, so I don’t have a good number for that. Property taxes are low due to prop 13 (California)

3 grand a year. 2200 taxes, 800 insurance.

I don't budget.

[…] We're at $459/mo - $152 prop tax, $105 insur, $71 HOA, $58 lawn fert, $73 other, $0 mortgage. But that's going to go up next year when DW buys her dream home...
It went up for me when I bought my dream home. But gosh, for me it is SO worth it! I am hoping that your DW's dream home makes her just as happy and that her happiness brings a smile to your face just to see it.

I did not include utilities, TV, phone, etc. that would add considerably.
Same here.

Own home.

Property taxes: $5600/yr
Umbrella P: $300/yr
HO Insurance: $900/yr
Maintenance: Maybe $1200/yr, depends
$667/month

Townhouse built in 1909 (not a typo!) in a very HCOL.

Mortgage P/I: $1530 (house worth at least $850k)
Property Taxes = $460
HO Ins: $105
Umbrella Ins = $15
Total = $2,210 (no utilities)

Maintenance: Did you see the part about it being a 1909 house?

Last edited:
RE Taxes: $187
Insurance: $59
Utilities: $200
House Maintenance: $50

Total $496 a month

My intent was to find out how much you spend on your home monthly and not utilities, if you pay a mortgage please include.

I ran our numbers. All in including opportunity cost of equity is $70.22 a day.

We are renting but thinking heavily of buying next year. Seeing many low property tax total responses.
FLA for a 325k house runs about 5k yearly including the homestead rebate, although that also includes CDD fees of $800.

Can you please explain, I'm not sure what the means.

I took my annual cost of taxes, insurance, utilities, etc and added what I could earn on the equity in my home in a 2 yr cd (opportunity cost of equity) and divided this number by 365. This is what it cost me for the privilege of having this roof over my head per day. Of course this number goes up each due to rising taxes, insurance, utility rate increases, even increased interest paid on CDs. I just randomly picked a 2 yr CD as I don't see me timing up the money in my house longer than 2 years when I sell it next summer.

DW and I will be starting a nomadic lifestyle in the fall of 2019 when we become empty nesters so I am really interested in developing a range of what our average lodging costs will be for a while. Good planning tool.

No mtg, but property taxes, HO ins, Earthquake ins, routine landscaping service, and periodic tree services total ~$900/mo. Don't know what to put for repairs, although $200/mo wouldn't be unreasonable over the longer term. So, put me down for ~$1,100/mo total (est.).

Additional information: When I summarize home ownership and occupancy costs for my own analyses, I include home cleaning, pest control, and utilities like gbg svc, water, and gas/electric. Those would add ~$500/mo to the above, as these could be substantially different if I was in a different home or in an apt or townhome (and paid rent or HOA fees).

NL

We are renting but thinking heavily of buying next year. Seeing many low property tax total responses.
FLA for a 325k house runs about 5k yearly including the homestead rebate, although that also includes CDD fees of $800.

If property taxes are a concern, this will probably be useful for you, as it breaks the average tax down by county, both in dollars and percent of home price:

Property taxes: How does your county compare?

Mortgage $4k ($3k payment + extra grand toward principal)
Taxes $600
Insurance $100
Repairs, etc... a lot it seems

Should have it paid off in about 5 years

$1,700 month, includes PITI + extra principal payment.
I'm a little envious of all the folks paying such low property taxes. Ah, maybe someday

Last edited:
I'd guesstimate $450/month but maintenance/repairs vary a lot year to year. No mortgage or loans though.

Mortgage payment: $517 a month (we put 70%+ down and couldn't resist the cheap $)
Taxes: $400
Insurance: $110
HOA: $179 (includes lawn, tree trimming, snow removal and trash)

$1,196 a month. Should have the mortgage paid off in the next 3-5 years, depending on market performance.

|per year |per month
property tax| 11,434 | 953
insurance| 1,566 | 131
maintenance| 5,000 | 417
total| 18,000 | 1500

This is our pre-downsizing dream house that we bought 15 years ago when the kids were 11 and 14... 4500 sqft on 2.2 acres with a pool, spa, barn, detached living quarter, pond, and lots of trees. House is 50 years old so maintenance is high. There are 5 baths and 4 HVAC units. This is Texas where property taxes are very high, but maybe not apples-to-apples (in terms of housing cost), since we have no income tax. We're also in hail country, so insurance tends to be high. On the bright side, we get a new roof every 5-7 years for just the cost of our deductible.

We have no property taxes in Alabama if one of the owners (like my wife) is disabled. Our homeowners' insurance is $150. Upkeep is probably less than $100. We have no mortgage. Our utilities are $350-$400 most months as two large HVAC systems can hurt your pocketbook.

We also have a lake house and this reminds me I need to pay the property taxes before Y/E--$1149 on assessed value of $385K Insurance runs $40 a month, and utilities average $90 since we're seldom there.

Last edited:
Monthly taxes and insurance -$1.275. The repair costs are variable. I do a lot of DIY on my 110 year old house. If nothing big happens, I estimate $200 in supplies/repairs/upkeep.

Sparky, Nevada does a weird thing where your property tax is based also on the age of your home. Ours was built in 1950. So a old mansion has less taxes than a new home. They have discussed changing it to where that changes when the house is sold.

Main home - Taxes 4k , Insurance 2k, repairs, about 2-10k per year.

Lakehouse - Taxes 4k, Insurance 1k, repairs, 1- 7k per year

Back
Top Bottom