How much have you been spending on Auto Fuel Lately?

Today's gasoline can indeed separate it's alcohol content from the rest of the formula when sitting around and exposed to the air. I prove it every time to folks by putting a bit of gas into a clear glass and letting it sit for 30 minutes, after which, I hold the glass up and look at the bottom. There will be several beads of raw alcohol rolling around the bottom of the glass. Just the little moisture in the air, 25% humidity, has combined with the alcohol and precipitated it out of solution. Add a couple drops of water to a gallon of gas and the whole 10% of alcohol in today's fuel will pull out and sit down there at the bottom of the container.

The good thing is that all cars today are required for their fuel systems to be air tight. You might notice when opening the cap, that there's a hiss as pressure is released. Excess pressure is routed from the tank to the engine for burning through a charcoal canister as part of the emissions system. SMOG checks test the cap for it's ability to still hold it's seal and so is the tank. At least here in California they are. Fuel stabilizer additives help emulsify fuel so the gas and alcohol won't separate.

As for the reason there's alcohol in gas to begin with, it isn't a hydro carbon so it doesn't produce the pollution fossil fuels do. One way to 'cheat' a smog test is to run the fuel down very low, last 2 or 3 gallons, then pour in some HEET from the auto parts store. Yellow label, the red label isn't the same stuff, maybe 3 or 4 bottles worth. The emissions will read much lower during test than straight up gasoline. Not that I"VE ever done that, but older cars having trouble to pass SMOG have figured this out. Maybe that's why HEET is still sold; there's a market for it.

We spent about $500 from Aug. 1 to 15 or so. One of our vehicles is an RV getting 10mpg, and we're traveling. Still, we've shifted our travel style specifically due to this number being *way* out of hand.

EVs. No gas. No Oil. I think I filled the can for the lawn mower in the spring if that counts. And our solar array has covered 100% of the electric for both cars (average 130 miles per weekday since march).

You need a Ryobi lawnmower. Mine works great for a quarter acre lot.

$40 last month, a bit less than half of what we usually spend. We're going out less, but still have errands and try to plan day trips to outdoor spots like parks, lakes and gardens, plus we've had some get togethers with social distancing.

Just throwing out my 2 cents. Leaving partially full tanks of gas sit in your car for long periods of time can potentially cause problems down the road. Moisture can build up in your gas tank and cause serious fuel system issues. It's best you research a fuel additive/stabilizer to add to your fuel tank and use it.

We citizens here in the Midwestern United States were taught that from a very early age.:cool:
Great tip!

Our main auto is a Kia Niro Hybrid. We filled it on April 13, and we have just under a half tank left. Gas was low in April, so we probably filled it for $30.

Since selling my 2004 Mustang GT with 4.10 gears (15-17 mpg), and buying a 2013 V6 Mustang (26-28 mpg), I have cut my costs down to about $20 a week. My wife does engineering site work for a new home builder. She has been busier than a one armed paper hanger in a storm traveling mega miles in Jeep, but she has a company gas card, new housing starts are going wild (even with a huge lumber surcharges).

In July we spent about $35. We travel to parks daily to get our hiking in. Didn’t track expenses the last part of August. We took off in the camper and our truck has a 36 gallon capacity; so I’d estimate about $200 in August, without checking our credit card statement. Didn’t travel too far. Now that the seasonal campers are done for the year, we’ll do more camping and travelling. Easy enough to social distance, and do curbside pickups from Walmart for food and needs.

A ton didn't on fuel, we took a 2500 mile road trip to Colorado hauling an offroad ATV at maybe 13 MPG. Then we rode it for several days out there. I took a 1000 mile road trip to the gulf to fish pulling a boat. Multiple fishing trips locally again trailering our boat. Tennis matches all over the state almost every week. Business trips across the state. I'd say just like normal.

The theme of the thread is how little people spend on gasoline these days due to Covid. Indeed, I have no place to go, while my original plan for this summer was to spend many $K for a long RV trip to the Great Lakes region.

YA, the virus hasn't changed my life one bit really. I live in no mans land and don't see people. I use a mask if I have too, go to the store. Life in my world is just another day just like before the pandemic.

I posted $125 a month but I actually spend ~$175 a month on gas and in the ball park of 2019.

Last edited:
During my weekly trip to Costco, I noticed the trip odometer turned up 21 miles. IIRC it's been 3 weeks since last fill up. Guess that's about $2 worth I've burned or about $.70 per week. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom