How much should you tip in each Country

Luvtoride

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know there have been a lot of threads and posts on tipping (and how its gotten out of control in the US) but I just came across this helpful article linked from the Morning Brew that I thought would share here.

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/cp...utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=morning_brew

Besides the charts shown, which might be a bit difficult to read, there is a dropdown box further down in the article, which allows you to find a specific country and it will show the customary tip amounts for restaurants, hotels and taxis.

Looks like the US tops the lists... I wonder if folks from California could comment on their region. When I was working I traveled to the SanJose/San Fransisco area a lot and the waiters and waitress there sure seem to "expect" bigger tips compared to other others in the US. Globally it looks like I "over tipped".

Looks like the US tops the lists... I wonder if folks from California could comment on their region. When I was working I traveled to the SanJose/San Fransisco area a lot and the waiters and waitress there sure seem to "expect" bigger tips compared to other others in the US.
How did you determine how much tip the wait staff expected around the country?

Reminds me of an old Candid Camera episode where the diner is asked how much the tip will be before taking the order.

How did you determine how much tip the wait staff expected around the country?
What the "locals" have told me and what I've experienced. When traveling (and I traveled a lot) I'd often go to lunch/dinner with a local vendor or local company employee. I once had a waiter get very PO'd when I only tipped him ~20% at a California steakhouse. I'll never forget that one.

What the "locals" have told me and what I've experienced. When traveling (and I traveled a lot) I'd often go to lunch/dinner with a local vendor or local company employee. I once had a waiter get very PO'd when I only tipped him ~20% at a California steakhouse. I'll never forget that one.

Thanks for the response. I wouldn’t generalize for an entire region based on my personal experience.

We should probably let the discussion return to the thread topic, which is tipping around the world.

Thank you, and very timely for me. Leaving for London and Paris at end of this month and I was just thinking about this!

Like most things, a global traveler would do well to be aware of local customs and etiquette before booking their trip. It would be create a very awkward moment for your host, in Japan, for example to attempt to tip.

I agree this is useful info.

Not sure why California was singled out but I'll answer... Like all tipping it depends on the service given. If it's standard, friendly, good service I give 20%. If it's extra slow, wrong orders, lack of attention on refills of water or coffee or bringing the bill, I lower the tip by the level of the issue. If it's exceptional I start with 20% and round up to the nearest $5 increment, but also make a point of thanking the server for the excellent service.

I just returned from Mazatlan and applied the same thing there, but with 15% as the base. We ate at Casa 46 one night and they had exceptional staff and a lot of them... That tip got bumped up 5% (but there were more servers to split it). Side note - if you're ever in Mazatlan I can totally recommend the Duck Carnitas Enchiladas in a Mole sauce - AMAZING!

There isn't much guidance on what to tip a tour guide.

We've had great full day, pricey private tours in other countries. We tipped 20% in Japan and the guide seemed very surprised-I guess that was too much. I'm thinking now more like 10% for a private tour.

A tour guide is much different than a server. Someone that is with you for 4-8 hours showing you all the things you have requested. Twenty percent extra seems like a small price to pay for something you may never do again.

We've had great full day, pricey private tours in other countries. We tipped 20% in Japan and the guide seemed very surprised-I guess that was too much. I'm thinking now more like 10% for a private tour.

A tour guide is much different than a server. Someone that is with you for 4-8 hours showing you all the things you have requested. Twenty percent extra seems like a small price to pay for something you may never do again.

Luvdogs, that is a tough one. When we were in Italy in October we used a couple of guides who were self-employed and not provided by a company. We knew they were getting the full amount of the hourly rate charged so there was no need to tip above that.
On a couple of small group tours booked through Viator or other tour companies, we did give tips to the guide and bus driver based on the quality of the tour and discussion with some other tourists.

WHO actually decides on the so called 'right' amount to tip:confused:

Those being tipped, those doing the tipping?

Our experience is that tipping in the US has gone out of control. Everyone has their hand out for a tip. Tipping is expected no matter the service level and expected even when absolutely no personal service is involved.

Seems to me that one reason tipping has gotten out of hand in the US is because some people like to brag about how much they tip or over tip. A certain amount of bravado about socio economic status is attached to it.

We tip for good service. We absolutely refuse to tip for bad service, no service, or service that should be expected as part of the the product. What is next....tipping a cashier at a retail store?

What is next....tipping a cashier at a retail store?

Well, Brett I guess that would mean tipping myself[emoji23] Was at WalMart yesterday and not a single cashier. Self checkout only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since retiring 12 or so years ago very little of our travel is in the US. Most of it is Europe, SE Asia, Australia, Mexico. More often it is a case of changing planes or connections that involve a one night stopover in the US.

When we do travel in the US it has become incredibly noticeable over the past few years to us just how many people have their hand out for tips compared to other geographies. It seems to us to be an entitlement regardless of the service or the level of service.

Not certain why this has happened.

Last edited:
I think it depends on whether you have a tour guide for a few hours, or are travelling with a commercial tour company. Local guides, I would suggest 10-15% (depending on the locale). Commercial tour $9-10 per day.

Looks like the US tops the lists... I wonder if folks from California could comment on their region. When I was working I traveled to the SanJose/San Fransisco area a lot and the waiters and waitress there sure seem to "expect" bigger tips compared to other others in the US. Globally it looks like I "over tipped".

I tip 20%. I can't remember the last time I didn't but if the server was a problem they would get less/nothing. I don't penalize them for food issues or anything beyond their control.

In Canada, at a restaurant I generally tip 10% , because in Ontario the waiter is paid $15/hr. Lots of other $15/hr folks don't get any tips there.

Once in Spain, we taxied from the airport to our hotel out in the local neighborhood (not tourist area). The cost on the meter was about 31->32 Euro's, so I gave the driver 35 euros. He was baffled when I refused the change, as I guess it was not common to tip taxi drivers.

PS - The tax ride was exciting as we raced along the streets just inches from other cars and motorbikes, so glad I didn't rent a car.

I travelled often on business to Europe and Asia, but its been 7 years, so maybe it has changed. My experience in Europe was: When dining with a local, who paid the bill, a minor round up was typical and well received. When dining by myself, the minor round up was obviously not enough. It appeared there was an was an expectation that the dumb American would tip like they do at home. There was even a line for tipping when paying by card.

In China, the minor round-up was very welcome and appreciated

I travelled often on business to Europe and Asia, but its been 7 years, so maybe it has changed. My experience in Europe was: When dining with a local, who paid the bill, a minor round up was typical and well received. When dining by myself, the minor round up was obviously not enough. It appeared there was an was an expectation that the dumb American would tip like they do at home. There was even a line for tipping when paying by card.

In China, the minor round-up was very welcome and appreciated

This is true. In France suggesting a tip is against the law but some of the tourist areas will have a (illegal) line for it on CC slips. Don't fall for it and just leave a few euros. Rounding up is usually acceptable in most of Europe. E46 would go to E50

In China, they'll take as much as you'll give them but, having also lived in Japan as well as France, tipping is generally insult.....almost always in Japan....unless no one is looking. But it's still an insult.

Last edited:
I agree this is useful info.

Not sure why California was singled out but I'll answer... Like all tipping it depends on the service given. If it's standard, friendly, good service I give 20%. If it's extra slow, wrong orders, lack of attention on refills of water or coffee or bringing the bill, I lower the tip by the level of the issue. If it's exceptional I start with 20% and round up to the nearest $5 increment, but also make a point of thanking the server for the excellent service.

I just returned from Mazatlan and applied the same thing there, but with 15% as the base. We ate at Casa 46 one night and they had exceptional staff and a lot of them... That tip got bumped up 5% (but there were more servers to split it). Side note - if you're ever in Mazatlan I can totally recommend the Duck Carnitas Enchiladas in a Mole sauce - AMAZING!

Thanks for the recommendation. We've only been to Mazatlan once on a cruise but we liked it and are booked for a week next April to experience the total solar eclipse. Casa 46 is just a 5 minute walk from our AirBnB and has super reviews on Google as well.

I just came back from Vegas. Seems like everywhere I paid for something the tip options were 25%, 30%, or 40% or custom. FU. I'm generally a good tipper and would do 20% in most cases for adequate service. But just for being aholes I would leave 10% or 15% when I saw they expected more.

MODERATOR NOTE: Once again, this is not a thread for complaining about tipping in the US, or in general. It is an informative thread for travelers so that they can be aware of the expectations and practices in other parts of the world.

10 years ago I was working in UK and one of my expat staff was tipping 30%, and then expensing it to the company. This was in situations where our UK peers would tip less than 10%. We had to have a discussion about "reasonable and customary."

This is true. In France suggesting a tip is against the law but some of the tourist areas will have a (illegal) line for it on CC slips. Don't fall for it and just leave a few euros. Rounding up is usually acceptable in most of Europe. E46 would go to E50

Yes and Yes. The OP link above overstates France --- restaurants should be rounding up as shown above or a few euros, and nothing is not unusual.

And yes, tipping will often be handed back in Japan. It is an insult.

I will note the UK is an exception in Europe. The 10% (or even a bit higher) is general practice, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
We recently returned from Australia. The zero tipping was our experience, especially at restaurants. A few fine dining restaurants that had lots of tourists did welcome tips and had a line for them on credit card receipts, but most did not.

On our liveaboard SCUBA boat, we did tip a substantial amount. The people on the boat work really hard and wear multiple hats. We didn’t tip as much there as we did in the Caribbean or Palau, but felt they deserved something extra.

Back
Top Bottom