How to avoid errand/to do list fatigue?

We take our big dog for an hour walk each day. I to have a list of stuff and sometimes do one or more and some nothing. It just depends on how we feel. WE also do a few events during the week. If someone asks me to do something fun and I have chores planned I just let them wait until the next day.

Scuba, I think I have the same problem as you.

{I know you can't tell tone over the internet... This is supposed to be sympathetic, not griping...}

A lot of it comes down to personality type and upbringing.

For example, we each took time off so we'd have a 4-day weekend over 4th of July. I'll try and remember everything we got done:

• replaced microwave (this was easy -- countertop model)
  • replaced toilet -- difficult. two trips to hardware store; worked till 9 pm Saturday getting it finished. {difficult because of needing to run out for replacement toilet flange, bathroom having wall-to-wall carpet :confused:, and other such oddities.}
  • Saturday-Sunday-Monday-Tuesday weeding in the garden sessions (~ 90 minutes each)
  • fixed leaky shower spout. (I think this one took 3 hardware trips)
  • smoked meatloaves and ribs
  • 2 quick grocery trips (had to buy the ribs)
  • replaced car battery
  • coordinated issues of
    1. health insurance & billing (4-5 calls on Monday)
    2. medical appointments (2-3 phone calls)
    3. a couple of random business-type calls
  • troubleshooting/fixing problem with car alarm
  • packaged and sent off auto part
  • most meals at home.

Now, to be fair, our live-at-home college kid helped with a lot of these projects. :) Also, she picked up pizzas on Monday night. And our visiting-home college kid made sandwiches for dinner after the rest of us finished the toilet install on Saturday night.

However, left to my own devices, I would have figured that half the list was sufficient. CanNOT convince DH that weekends are for sitting on your butt.

My great hope is that, when we retire, I can get him to agree that 4 hours of work (including all housework) each day is sufficient.

One of my kids says, "I wish we could put a leash on Dad, tie him to a post in the yard, and say, 'Sit! STAY!' ":LOL:

I still miss my Palm Pilot...

My favorite paper for making a list is the back of a junk mail envelope. Just the right size and heft.

When I was newly retired, I found myself spending most of the day doing chores. So I made a rule: after one or two hours of chores, it was time to stop and do something fun.

Now, after more than two years of ER, I have a different rule: I have to do at least an hour of chores before going out to have fun. I frequently break this rule.

Scuba, I think I have the same problem as you.

{I know you can't tell tone over the internet... This is supposed to be sympathetic, not griping...}

A lot of it comes down to personality type and upbringing.

For example, we each took time off so we'd have a 4-day weekend over 4th of July. I'll try and remember everything we got done:

• replaced microwave (this was easy -- countertop model)
  • replaced toilet -- difficult. two trips to hardware store; worked till 9 pm Saturday getting it finished. {difficult because of needing to run out for replacement toilet flange, bathroom having wall-to-wall carpet :confused:, and other such oddities.}
  • Saturday-Sunday-Monday-Tuesday weeding in the garden sessions (~ 90 minutes each)
  • fixed leaky shower spout. (I think this one took 3 hardware trips)
  • smoked meatloaves and ribs
  • 2 quick grocery trips (had to buy the ribs)
  • replaced car battery
  • coordinated issues of
    1. health insurance & billing (4-5 calls on Monday)
    2. medical appointments (2-3 phone calls)
    3. a couple of random business-type calls
  • troubleshooting/fixing problem with car alarm
  • packaged and sent off auto part
  • most meals at home.

Now, to be fair, our live-at-home college kid helped with a lot of these projects. :) Also, she picked up pizzas on Monday night. And our visiting-home college kid made sandwiches for dinner after the rest of us finished the toilet install on Saturday night.

However, left to my own devices, I would have figured that half the list was sufficient. CanNOT convince DH that weekends are for sitting on your butt.

My great hope is that, when we retire, I can get him to agree that 4 hours of work (including all housework) each day is sufficient.

One of my kids says, "I wish we could put a leash on Dad, tie him to a post in the yard, and say, 'Sit! STAY!' ":LOL:

Wow! That is truly amazing!! Maybe I should be grateful we aren't taking on your "list." [emoji3]

When I was newly retired, I found myself spending most of the day doing chores. So I made a rule: after one or two hours of chores, it was time to stop and do something fun.

Now, after more than two years of ER, I have a different rule: I have to do at least an hour of chores before going out to have fun. I frequently break this rule.

Thanks Philliefan, this sounds like a great approach for us to try. Somewhat unstructured, which I think is what we need, but allows for some time getting things done while allocating most of your time for fun.

Yep. I think that's a really healthy attitude!

After ~8 years of ER, I have a different rule. While out having fun, I think about maybe doing some chores when I get back. When I get back, I put them off for another day or two and then do them when absolutely unavoidable.

I assumed as a retiree I would have tons of extra time. However, being a recent ER, I was truly surprised to find the number of things I needed to get done expanded to completely fill every hour on my schedule.

Still, I'm much better off than before - now I do the things that I want to do, and don't need to deal with meetings, corporate bullsh**, boss bullsh**, co-worker bullsh**, etc.

I retired 18 months ago, and DH retired last October. We were traveling until April, and the last three months has just been crazy busy with our to do lists...I don't know how we ever did it when we had jobs!

Our last, however, does include a lot of maintenance around the house...things we held off doing until we retired (like the new roof shed that has been taking 4 days now), general maintenance like yard work or dishes (we eat at home a lot more now), as well as our to do list created by our new hobbies.

I guess it's how you look at things, right? Instead of getting frustrated and overwhelmed about the weeding in a typical hot and humid Virginia summer day, I try to appreciate the fact that I am outdoors, working in the yard surrounded by nature instead of an air conditioned office stuck on a conference call about the same issues discussed in prior calls....

I still miss my Palm Pilot...

My favorite paper for making a list is the back of a junk mail envelope. Just the right size and heft.

I've used those myself. My favorite is a 3x5 card. I work part time and have 4 days off per week. What I typically do is write down the things I want to get done over that off period. Unless something is broke/urgent, I don't really care if it gets done or not, but I like the list to give me some structure to getting things done. I used to be a GTD person, but now I don't care enough to do more than my little list for the off time.

I've had some things on my "to do" list for 6 years now. Fine with me, they'll still be there to do in 5 years when I might get to them.

I thought I was the only one who procrastinated that badly. I feel better now.
I'm having one that's been on my 'to do list' for several years, done today.

A new sump pump installation.

Perhaps one thing to keep in mind......always remember who is the master and who is the slave. During the last 2 drought yrs. we were limited to 2 specific days of the wk that we could water outdoors. For some reason I decided it would be 1 specific day. That meant doing front and back yards simultaneously so between the two, there was scarcely 15 min of free time....for meals or other tasks. I also decided that things needed to be started early in AM to minimize evaporation by sun. It was rushed and hectic.

This year I decided I would be the master, instead of the slave, so I went to 2 days. Now the free time between actions has increased to 45 minutes so meals are not so rushed. Also start whenever I am ready.....after breakfast.
There seems to be a huge difference in the "rushed/harried" factor by becoming the master.

A side benefit is that with only front or back being watered at one time, the
pressure in back is not affected by front so more water/time or less time.

Ditto !

I think over time we find our equilibrium. For some that may take days, weeks or months, for others longer. My first months of ER I was doing way too much. Then I did way too little outside the home. 2 years in and I feel I'm getting close to figuring it out. And if not - life goes on.

If you think about it the list is a direct result of owning stuff. List items are almost always fixing, maintaining or updating your stuff. The solution is reduce the amount of stuff you have. We have downsized significantly and that has made the list smaller and easier to manage. It will never go away.

I guess it's how you look at things, right? Instead of getting frustrated and overwhelmed about the weeding in a typical hot and humid Virginia summer day, I try to appreciate the fact that I am outdoors, working in the yard surrounded by nature instead of an air conditioned office stuck on a conference call about the same issues discussed in prior calls....

+++1. My sentiments exactly.

Also, unlike when my job competed for my time, if I've had enough for the day, I've had enough. So, in NC, I might wrap up any summer yard work by noon (or earlier). Maybe do indoor stuff or errands in the afternoon. Or, like today, head to the neighborhood coffee shop and read, surf, and chat the afternoon away!

Also, it is nice that the lawn doesn't demand a TLR (top line revenue) report from me. Nor do the shrubs want to audit my T&E expenses each month.

If you think about it the list is a direct result of owning stuff. List items are almost always fixing, maintaining or updating your stuff. The solution is reduce the amount of stuff you have. We have downsized significantly and that has made the list smaller and easier to manage. It will never go away.

I agree 100%! We rented in the USVI's for 3 months and had a totally carefree lifestyle. We live in a condo in CA, but even so it seems like the to do list is much longer here.

+++1. My sentiments exactly.

Also, unlike when my job competed for my time, if I've had enough for the day, I've had enough. So, in NC, I might wrap up any summer yard work by noon (or earlier). Maybe do indoor stuff or errands in the afternoon. Or, like today, head to the neighborhood coffee shop and read, surf, and chat the afternoon away!

Also, it is nice that the lawn doesn't demand a TLR (top line revenue) report from me. Nor do the shrubs want to audit my T&E expenses each month.

[emoji23]

+1

Hi this seems to be the most current to do list thread so adding to it.

I was amused to find an to do list dated about 3 years ago, when I was consumed with downsizing preparation and fixing up 100 yr old family home of 25+ years to sell by having it look uncluttered, sharp and well maintained. I spent about a year getting ready and then the place essentially sold immediately.

Amazing how "effortless" the check offs seem in retrospect and how much work they were in reality. Example of one.. Digitize all tax records, and investment documents for all accounts for the last 25 years.

I keep a to do list and goal sheet in my financials spreadsheet, but so many tabs I forgot I had that there.

I had about 20 things that really were accomplished in a timely manner and finally removed.

Time for some new goals and to do lists.

I find that if you have 10-12 things flying around in your head that you know you need to do, it seems like 100. I find that by just writing them down, they don't look as bad.... and some take you all of 30 seconds to do.

I keep a Notepad text file in my desktop, "dolist.txt". Real simple, it lists the days of the week and what I need/intend/want to do that day. Rule is you can't delete anything until it is either done.... or you have made the decision not to do it ever. I have items that have been moved along throughout the week for a YEAR. But it works for me, usually because I keep thinking of things I want to do and am afraid I will forget.

And DW does not have access to this file!!!

I spent the first two years on fun. I've heard of many people that kick the bucket shortly after retirement. I wanted to make sure I had my fun time covered and skipped out on a lot of adult chores. Now, at the two year mark, I am beginning to clean closets, throw out old VHS tapes, etc. I think I should move to a condo or a house with less maintenance. I am anxious to get back to my non-adult lifestyle.

I find that if you have 10-12 things flying around in your head that you know you need to do, it seems like 100. I find that by just writing them down, they don't look as bad.... and some take you all of 30 seconds to do.

I keep a Notepad text file in my desktop, "dolist.txt". Real simple, it lists the days of the week and what I need/intend/want to do that day. Rule is you can't delete anything until it is either done.... or you have made the decision not to do it ever. I have items that have been moved along throughout the week for a YEAR. But it works for me, usually because I keep thinking of things I want to do and am afraid I will forget.

And DW does not have access to this file!!!

I used a similar method when I was working. Back off an envelope list. It started with the most critical (medical). Each month I transferred the list to a new envelope. Now that I am not w*rking, I don't seem to have the time.:)

Back
Top Bottom