How to avoid volunteerism pitfalls

So I agree, it's difficult to volunteer and get it just right.....

I volunteer for a local trail group doing maintenance and event support.
I also work doing taxes for money.

I had to try a couple of venues for both before I got it right (for now).
I guess it is a trial and error process.

I was working for a place that packs food for food banks, they buy wholesale then we pack in individual sizes like breaking down 50lb bags of beans to one pound packages. It was kinda fun but they only allow 2 shifts of 2 hours a week because they have too many volunteers. Schools and scout troops and companies like to send in big groups for a shift or two a year. It was a waste of labor hours a machine could have done it faster and better if we weren't free labor we could have been replaced for about a dollar an hour. They only had people working because people wanted to and it gave them a chance to tell another group about the mission to feed the hungry. Our two hour shifts started late and ended early not worth driving there. All the meaningful jobs were paid jobs like fork lift driver. I told the volunteer coordinator I was an accountant and could do office work but they never offered me something worth doing.

What's mundane or worse for some may not be for you. I volunteer for the local nature foundation and Appalachian Trail club. A lot of what I do is trail maintenance. Many don't want to weed whack a mile or trail, or hike with a pick mattock to clear water bars. I don't mind it at all, and take pride in keeping my sections of trails in shape .

Something like that actually sounds like something I would enjoy doing. Locally, we have the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens in Northeast Washington DC, on the Maryland side of the Anacostia river. Sometimes they have volunteers help out to clean up, as a lot of crap gets washed in from the Anacostia River. I have fond memories of going to that place as a little kid with my parents, and have been back a few times as an adult. I'd actually get a kick, I think, out of helping to keep it looking good.

Maybe it depends on where you volunteer and what your expectations are. I volunteer at a nature center and a historic site doing gardening work. I also help with special events. These places are a great fit for me. I still work so fit this in after work and some weekends. I don't want to be the boss of others. I don't need an important job. We have had people come to volunteer and then don't want to do any jobs that are "beneath them".
Before I found these 2 places, I was asked to volunteer at another historic site. It was quite a distance to travel but I had heard the gardens were interesting. I was told they really needed someone that could whip the gardens into shape and didn't have enough gardening volunteers. First week they had me stuffing envelopes. Second week I painted the staff lunch room. Third week no one was there when I showed up & everything was locked. Fourth week I was asked why nothing was getting done in the gardens. I un-volunteered from there that day.

Volunteering for special events only is a great way to go.

+1
Being a motorcycle enthusiast, and more of a 'lone wolf plus friends type rider', special events like charity runs, etc pop up all the time. But what brings the most satisfaction for me is when the 'as needed' fund raisers come up. People in pretty much immediate needs, whether from accidents, disease, loss of loved ones, or whatever. It's a very humbling heartfelt feeling to help and donate, whether close friends or total strangers.

I have been soured on 'organized volunteer groups' for a while, though I still donate to my favorite charities. Let me explain. One group I was with for several years brought a lot of satisfaction for a while. I was even named volunteer of the year once, among 125 volunteers on this particular committee, pretty much through sweat equity. Not that I was looking for some stroke afterwards, as I am a pretty private person, but the shine did not last long. They didn't really care how hard people worked, but cared more how big the billfold is and how influential your connections are. When they found out I'm pretty much just a worker bee, well you can guess what took place after that. I took it okay for a couple more years but had heard enough of the worn out 'but it's for the kids' guilting, so I cut back considerably. What finally was the last straw for me was the deceit to the public from the upper echelon all those years. They always used to brag to the public that 100% of our fundraising goes to the scholarship funds for students. I was proud of that. Well after an investigation including IRS receipts showed that only 10% went to scholarships, and the other 90% went to the general fund, which, btw, said echelon was called out on, that's when I said "that's it, I'm getting away from this toxic atmosphere and these toxic people. I'm outta here!"

It's a shame, because I met, liked and still am friends with a lot of the other worker bees...

Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now.

My hub also volunteers for the Audubon society in our state. He does maintain a trail and did man the "desk" for awhile....then winter came, he was just sitting there reading. He did end up doing marketing for them for a year - submitting programs to various newspapers and such to help promote.

Maybe the best thing to do is to change it up. We are also thinking about doing something like that charity that builds houses for the poor (name escapes me right now). Doing that for a week - we have good DIY skills. Has anyone done this?

There was a paid job posted for my town - it was to help seniors, take them to the store, doctors appts, etc. I called to ask about this but they said you had to be 100% available - there was no set hours - they might call you the day before and tell you to show up at a certain location. I did not think this would work for me.

I've also been thinking about volunteering in the local shools - seems like this would be more "set" hours.

Maybe the best thing to do is to change it up. We are also thinking about doing something like that charity that builds houses for the poor (name escapes me right now). Doing that for a week - we have good DIY skills. Has anyone done this?

Sounds like Habitat for Humanity. I haven't personally worked on a build as I'm afraid I would do more damage than good (DIY isn't my strong suit). But our church participates on at least one build each year and people really enjoy it.

I've also been thinking about volunteering in the local shools - seems like this would be more "set" hours.

Schools need lots of volunteers - especially mentors and tutors at the middle school level, at least in our area. Be advised that volunteering with kids in just about any role now requires a formal application process with a lot of information on your background as well as a criminal background check. Just so you're prepared.

I volunteer about 300 hours a year for VITA and maybe 40 hours a year or so for my HOA. Knowing how to say "no" will eliminate most pitfalls. You can only be taken advantage of if you allow it.
I do TaxAide; not mundane ... have to keep up with the regs and certify every year, Federal + 2 states. Fellow volunteers are an interesting bunch and the clientele are very appreciative.

We managed to "volunteer" by just figuring out what we did that would be useful for a non-profit, and then offering those services. As opposed to signing on as a volunteer, and then doing whatever is assigned. A big part of this for us is giving back to the places that we enjoy so much.
-----------------

I like Nords term: self-directed volunteerism. I think that makes a huge difference. YOU figure out what you can offer, and the terms that you are willing to work under, and then you interact with the causes that are important to you. This can happen quite naturally as you get involved with the organizations and then see where you can contribute.

+1

My first year in retirement I underwent training for three different volunteering positions, but found, to my surprise, that I wasn't ready/interested to go back to being under someone's thumb. Their needs, their schedule, their rules . . . at that time it smacked too much like returning to a j#b.

It worked out best when I allowed it to happen organically, just as audreyh1 suggests above. In my case, as I got more involved with a university learning program for retirees, I got itchy to teach a course in order to share one of my particular passions. Because I got to set the rules, meaning where, when and how often, I find I enjoy everything about it.

Perhaps that makes me less altruistic than some, but that is what I found worked well for me. :blush:

My first year in retirement I underwent training for three different volunteering positions, but found, to my surprise, that I wasn't ready/interested to go back to being under someone's thumb. Their needs, their schedule, their rules . . . at that time it smacked too much like returning to a j#b.

I could see myself having the same reaction after achieving the hard-won independence of early retirement.

It worked out best when I allowed it to happen organically, just as audreyh1 suggests above. In my case, as I got more involved with a university learning program for retirees, I got itchy to teach a course in order to share one of my particular passions. Because I got to set the rules, meaning where, when and how often, I find I enjoy everything about it.

I think you're both onto something. This is enlightening...

+1

I have a feeling I wouldn't be cut out to be a volunteer because my attitude is along the lines of hey, I'm not being paid for this, I'm doing YOU a favor by even being here, so you'll be grateful for the help you get. Start barking orders at me, micro-managing every little thing, throwing in a little office politics and so on, and I'm gone.

Back in college, I helped out with the youth group in our church, for about a year. The guy who was the actual youth leader was pretty cool at first, but it didn't take long for his D-baggery to rear its ugly head.

The last straw ended up being one fall when we were going to take the kids to a corn maze. Half of them rode over in my car, and the other half in his. It was understood that the kids were paying their own admission to this thing...we weren't springing for it. Well, when we got there, we found out that a good number of the kids didn't have money. The youth leader told me that he'd cover some of the kids, and I'd have to cough up admission for the rest. When I told him no, he got mad with me and said that either I paid for them, or I couldn't go in...just like I was one of the kids! I was just a college kid myself at the time, making about $7/hr working part time at a department store, and covering most of my college costs myself!

Well, I reminded him that half of the kids rode over in my car...would he like to be tasked with taking ALL of them home, in his? He ended up covering the rest of the kids, but that was the final straw. I washed my hands of helping out that youth group after that. Not too long after that, I think that group actually got disbanded, as membership dropped off.

Sounds like Habitat for Humanity. I haven't personally worked on a build as I'm afraid I would do more damage than good (DIY isn't my strong suit). But our church participates on at least one build each year and people really enjoy it.

Habitat is a good one to do if that's your 'thing'. I like framing and drywall. Not so hot on the painting, so I just don't go on those days.

I've worked on probably six or eight houses. Sometimes just one day per house, other times I come back for many phases of the build.

Usually there wil be a scheduled team (from a megacorp, or a church or something), but there's always room for another hand...especially one who knows the ropes (most volunteer teams I meet have just a few that have been on a build before).

What I would really love is a new grandchild I can watch a couple days a week! My hub would love this too. Unfortunately, none on the horizon. My sister does this for my nephew - loves it.

What I would really love is a new grandchild I can watch a couple days a week! My hub would love this too. Unfortunately, none on the horizon. My sister does this for my nephew - loves it.

That's exactly where DW is today, taking care of her niece's six-month-old baby. It's about a once per month or every other month thing. DW is "Plan C" for both her niece and nephew's kids. She loves it.

I have a feeling I wouldn't be cut out to be a volunteer because my attitude is along the lines of hey, I'm not being paid for this, I'm doing YOU a favor by even being here, so you'll be grateful for the help you get. Start barking orders at me, micro-managing every little thing, throwing in a little office politics and so on, and I'm gone.

+1. When I quit my job, I am done with being told what to do by someone other than DW. If I volunteer, it'd be on my term (or I will go free lance - e.g, picking up trash in local park).

+1. When I quit my job, I am done with being told what to do by someone other than DW. If I volunteer, it'd be on my term (or I will go free lance - e.g, picking up trash in local park).

When I ERd, I was done with being told what to do by anyone, period.

DH and I volunteered at a food booth once. We were both out in the cold all day. It was so cold I was drinking hot water to stay warm. My hands were numb from the cold and I dropped a $150 iPod into my hot water. For 16 hours of work between us, we made $12 (gross, not net profit) and got yelled at by another volunteer for using too much sterno, which I used to heat the hot water to keep from getting hypothermia. Plus we used $5 in gas to get to the event.

So on a per hour basis, assuming even a generous 50% profit margin on the food, we made 37 cents an hour each, less the cost of gas, sterno and the wrecked iPod. If we add in our expenses we netted out to -$9.31 per hour.

Conceptually volunteering seems like a good idea, but we still haven't found the right niche, though I think now we can safely eliminate food booth worker as being the right calling for either one of us. :)

Last edited:
Fulfilling Volunteer Work

About 8 years before FIRE, I started scouting out possible volunteer situations. My top requirements were that the activity had to be fun and the people had to be nice. I cycled through a number of organizations with this in mind and like my present situation. The people are fabulous and most grateful. I choose the frequency and time limits from a newsletter of opportunities. Several of the opportunities have been outstanding and I would sign up again in a heartbeat. A few not so much. I learned that I like presenting to children and adults so I now select those activities or ones where I assist someone's else. I volunteer about twice a month and like the half day sessions best. I get to leave and don't take a pile of work home. Being a former educator, having nothing to take home is like paradise. I didn't like the activities where I had to drive across town, load up my car, drive to a different site, unload and tote the stuff around, set it up, do the presentation, and then do everything in reverse order. I simply don't sign up for those gigs anymore. I also decided early on I would not listen to any complaining. It has happened only a handful of times and I nip it in the bud. I stop the speaker, whip out the phone number of the volunteer coordinator, and suggest they call and speak with the authority. If they persist, I politely cut them off and remind them that I am a volunteer and do not handle complaints.

I guess my best advice would be "know thyself" and test the waters to find what is fulfilling to you.

I agree with this (and similar sentiments) to a point...but I can also see it from the organizations point of view as well. I value my freedom of time very much ... which is one reason I'm not volunteering at the moment, although I would like to find something.

Years ago I was a volunteer for the local crisis hotline. There was a lot of freedom as volunteer in terms of scheduling. But, once you signed up to show up at X time during the week, they expected you to be there. The goal of the hotline was to have 24/7 coverage and that meant that people who signed up needed to actually show up. It would be chaos if people could just come and go with no planning at all.

They also required a commitment to volunteer X hours over Y period. That might seem unreasonable but this was a kind of volunteer work that required a lot of training. You didn't really want to invest many hours of training in someone who wouldn't actually show up.

As far as rules and regulations, yes, I agree that some places have way too many and I wouldn't want to volunteer for them. On the other hand, for certain types of volunteering, it is important to do background checks and sometimes rules and regulations actually do make sense.

Again, I understand why some don't want to have any restrictions on their activities while retired.

I'm on a couple of volunteer boards. It's currently like "work" for me and I really dislike it. When I finally get out of these, I'll feel a lot more retired.

Well, retirement brings freedom to do what I want to do, and when I want to do. That freedom is the utmost importance to me. If volunteer work cuts into that freedom, that's a big no-no for me. I will be retiring in 6 months (or a year later) and have no plans to tie myself down to a voluntary work.

When I retire, "I see my light come shining from the west unto the east. Any day now, any day now, I shall be released"

I've found volunteer work to be generally satisfying but have said no to several requests to volunteer because I didn't think they would be. In the years I've been retired, here are things I've done and my comments on them:

- tutoring adult literacy/basic math. Very satisfying although the non-profit organizations which sponsor it are sometimes a little screwed up. Found I really enjoy working one-on-one with someone I can help and who wants to learn.
- being a member of and, subsequently, the chairperson of our church's parish council. Somewhat satisfying. By saying yes to this request I broke one of my cardinal rules of volunteering: don't volunteer for anything that involves meetings.
- being a lector at church. Somewhat satisfying.
- facilitating a workshop for volunteers working with children on appropriate conduct around kids, avoiding situations where one could be accused of sexual or physical abuse, looking for signs of potential abusers among other adults. Very satisfying.
- teaching an AARP/FINRA program on Outsmarting Investment Fraud. Somewhat satisfying.
- reading/recording a book to be broadcast (radio) to blind and other people who can't read. Somewhat satisfying.
- serving as the Service Officer for an American Legion Post. Ranged from somewhat satisfying to very frustrating, depending on the particular aspect of the job at the time.
- serving as the Public Affairs officer for the American Legion Post. Quite satisfying.

As someone who was in supervisory/management/leadership positions during my working career I've gravitated toward volunteer gigs where I'm actually doing something rather than overseeing others doing things. A common denominator in several activities has been teaching/writing/reading and I think this is because I was always thought I would be a good teacher.

My observation has been that some non-profits are not run very efficiently but I've tried to ignore this and just focus on my task. I've always been treated well/respectfully by organizations I've volunteered for. Several have asked me to regularly attend their staff meetings but I have invoked my "no meetings" rule and declined.

Back
Top Bottom