how to complain at hospital

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have called the patient advocate and they are supposed go get me a case manager but seem overall pretty uncaring and uncommunicative - to put it mildly.

I will be working on round 2 of this mess tomorrow so any suggestions appreciated.

I also voiced a complaint about a particular nurse's comment and her manger seemed completely disinterested. Still, my main concern is updates on the health of the patient.

Last edited:
A call or letter from an attorney usually gets the "uncaring and uncommunicative" to suddenly focus like a laser.

Last edited:
Well the nurses give me updates on the wrong people . . . I would think providing name and birthday would allow them to get to the correct chart.

*One of the doctors called this afternoon and set the record straight on some of the items but I have not heard from the other doctor or the case manager I requested so there was some improvement today but it has been dismal until I started to fuss

Last edited:
Not an excuse, but recognize that the healthcare system, in general, is way over extended these days. Nurses especially are in high demand and most places are running short staffed.

When I was in the hospital, there were good days and not as good days in terms of how staff did relative to my care. Overall, they did pretty good. Unfortunately, you I could sense the overall stress they were dealing with. I’m glad my condition did not require a lot of care (lot of testing and waiting). I feel for anyone who is truly out of it and doesn’t have a family member or a good friend as an advocate. There were a couple times where they did not get the doctor’s orders correct. If it weren’t for me and my DW both being there when talking to the Dr., who knows what would have happened.

Personally, I would follow through with the patient advocate/case manager and also share any concern with the primary doctor. Doctors are the financial lifeblood of a hospital and still garner the highest respect/authority in a hospital. Stay calm and be direct. Burning a bridge at a time when a loved one is in their care is not a good outcome.

Personally, I would follow through with the patient advocate/case manager and also share any concern with the primary doctor. Doctors are the financial lifeblood of a hospital and still garner the highest respect/authority in a hospital. Stay calm and be direct. Burning a bridge at a time when a loved one is in their care is not a good outcome.

I called his doctors office and they said they could not help as he is not under their care in hospital (even though the sent him there directly from his appointment). They gave me the patient advocate ideas.

But things like telling me he just had angioplasty (which didn't happen) is a pretty big mistake IMO. The doctor that called this afternoon seemed very very good so there is still hope but this process is more confusing than I expected. I was felt like it has been quite difficult to get this far after 5 days admitted.

Last edited:
I suggest you go in person.

I called his doctors office and they said they could not help as he is not under their care in hospital (even though the sent him there directly from his appointment). They gave me the patient advocate ideas.

But things like telling me he just had angioplasty (which didn't happen) is a pretty big mistake IMO. The doctor that called this afternoon seemed very very good so there is still hope but this process is more confusing than I expected. I was felt like it has been quite difficult to get this far after 5 days admitted.

There is a doctor assigned to the patient. That’s the doctor you want to be in touch with. It could be a persons family doctor, but usually not. Typically, it’s a hospitalist - employed by the hospital. That doctor makes rounds usually every day. You need to be there and talk to them directly.

The hospital doctor called me today as well after I called the patient advocate.

I am cautiously optimistic things will improve but puzzled why it took me 5 days of asking nurses for information to get this far. I guess this proves not only am I badatmath I am badatcommunication or badatcommonsense.

Last edited:
The hospital doctor called me today as well after I called the patient advocate. He said he met him this morning (after 5 days in hospital) so apparently they rotate them a lot?

They do rotate, but they work as a team. Talking to one is good. Talking to all of them is best. I was in the hospital for a couple weeks and it wasn’t too hard to figure out which doctor was the lead. They carried their self differently and asked more direct and relevant questions.

Yeah I'm learning. Prior experience with such a thing I had no issues getting updates from nurses but I suppose that depends how busy they are and how complex the problem is.

Last edited:
IMHO it's all about the tone of voice and attitude . First I assume no one is setting out to give me bad or incomplete info. And I understand you are stressed yet staff deals with stressed people all the time it's not easy.

Does the hospital use a patient charting portal? If so can you get access to it? I find up to date patient portal infos to be exceptionally useful. Are you authorized to actually get info on the patient? Our cardio doc clinic uses Epic...I would make this my number one goal for tomorrow....everything you want to know is in the charts.

Doctors office and hospital care should hopefully all be in one system.. epic is the big one I think...
I could literally get real time results on my phone during my DH's hospital stay....also daily summaries by the surgeons staff and the hospital doctor, these doctors usually rotate which IMO is a good thing different eyes and different thoughts.

Last edited:
Good thought on the chart. I have never heard of epic as we use a diff chart here at my doc but yes I will check on this. I really do not need constant updates just more than none. I was pretty tolerant the first few days knowing it takes some time for them to test for things and so on. Prior hospitalizations were all pretty straightforward like "patient has x we will do y" and so on.

Last edited:
Not an excuse, but recognize that the healthcare system, in general, is way over extended these days. Nurses especially are in high demand and most places are running short staffed.

I sometimes chat with my phlebotomist at the local blood donation center. Sometimes, they are nurses or CNAs and I ask "why are you here?" Their answer is burn out. Blood donations are a break from the insanity of the other settings. One told me that she quits every few years (or less) and works at the center (for about 1/2 pay) just to get away from the pressure of the hospital or care setting. Then go back after their working sabbatical. There's never a problem getting a job. Sure enough, she was gone in 3 months. I've seen that pattern repeat a few times.

The hospitalists (MD) are the ones to get most medical information from.
Nurses are overworked and may have many more patients than is really safe (sad, but true, was even an issue when I did hospital nursing 40 years ago!) I would hope that this was a one off, as most of my experience is that the nurse (RN, not anyone else) has the best overall daily info from (emotional, physical, general wellbeing) and usually are quite willing to discuss with family.
Also, if you are not next of kin, or have an ROI, they may not be able to talk with you anyway.
An agree, on line EPIC access is a great idea if you have the patients portal log in availability (and OK!)

The “hospitalist” system sucks. Seemed like I had a different one every couple days. I liked it when your Primary Care doc followed up with you.

Are “Concierge” docs, where you pay an annual fee for your Primary Care doc, able to “make rounds” in the hospital? If not, I’d guess they’d still be your conduit with the hospital. Anyone use Concierge docs?

Hospitalist systems sucks? See its attitudes like this that cause communication issues. They exist to troubleshoot all problems that might occur in the hospital. Different eyes can be a good thing...primary docs have never filled this role. U think your primary doctor has time to read all your hospital notes no they dont...

Hospitalist systems sucks? See its attitudes like this that cause communication issues. They exist to troubleshoot all problems that might occur in the hospital. Different eyes can be a good thing...primary docs have never filled this role. U think your primary doctor has time to read all your hospital notes no they dont...

+1

The question itself is a problem. "How to complain". Nobody likes a complainer. You need to get the staff all "wanting" to help you and/or your patient. Nobody wants to do a bad job. I know it seems that way, but everyone will do their best if properly motivated. No, it is not easy.

The question itself is a problem. "How to complain".

Yes I was pretty grumpy when I wrote that but I assure you I have been nice IRL. Or maybe I should say via VM because my opportunities to get a live person seem to be extremely limited.

Last edited:
The question itself is a problem. "How to complain". Nobody likes a complainer. You need to get the staff all "wanting" to help you and/or your patient. Nobody wants to do a bad job. I know it seems that way, but everyone will do their best if properly motivated. No, it is not easy.

+100

I couldn't agree more.

Forty years ago I worked for a couple of years as a floating ward clerk in multiple hospital departments. In the last 15 years I have been an in-patient at two different hospitals, being treated for both moderate and life-threatening issues. I've experienced hospital environments as both an employee and a patient.

In every case, I can assure you that once you become known to the nurses as a "complainer" you will be SOL as far as gaining their cooperation. Why should they invest their time and energy in going above and beyond for someone who is just making their work lives harder? Their work lives are almost impossible as it is, believe me.

But if you get the charge nurse on your side, and you approach the nurses with a positive attitude, and treat them with the respect they deserve as the professionals they are, you will be amazed at how much more information and help you and your relative will receive. You want more access to the doctor(s) treating your relative? The nurses are the key to that.

Nurses are not stupid, and if you make a bad first impression on them, it is very hard to ever win them over.

I have called the patient advocate and they are supposed go get me a case manager but seem overall pretty uncaring and uncommunicative - to put it mildly.

I will be working on round 2 of this mess tomorrow so any suggestions appreciated.

I also voiced a complaint about a particular nurse's comment and her manger seemed completely disinterested. Still, my main concern is updates on the health of the patient.

I've had pretty speedy response upon contacting the Attorney General of my state. YMMV. I realize that is a pretty high leap to go straight to the top of the food chain, but AGs have LOTS OF POWER.

Yes I was pretty grumpy when I wrote that but I assure you I have been nice IRL. Or maybe I should say via VM because my opportunities to get a live person seem to be extremely limited.

Imagine every patient has one or several family members trying to contact staff.remotely...an early post suggests you go to the patient...I sat with hubby 18 hours a day and was there when staff was in the room. In person or chart access is your best choice. but these professionals are doing the best they can. I know its frustrating for you. .

Yes it this person often is in the hospital for 1-3 days so at first I assumed that would be the case this time. So I am just trying to get a diagnosis to determine next steps. I did not think flying amid the flight cancellations a few days ago would be of much value but am open to leaving this weekend. It looks like I could grab a flight pretty easily at this point. A little concerned about bringing new germs into the patient as well because I do no think he can fight off much. Also of note it will agitate him if i just sit there in his room. Seriously. He will and has insisted he is not helpless and does not need anyone.

Last edited:
I feel for you you are in a tough spot..family dynamics can be tough in the best of times .you are doing your best and I'm sure the staff is trying their best. I just remembered when my DH was in the ICU and they didn't want us in the room.the nurse said give me one contact number and that's the person I be communicating with

Back
Top Bottom