How to reenter into bonds?

wanaberetiree

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hello all,

On start of the coronavirus snafu I've sold my 'CA muni position Vanguard California Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt Fund Admiral Shares' (VCADX)

I am not regretting as muni future seems uncertain to me and I also wanted to sit on ca$h.

However sooner or later I want to get back to bonds to maintain my AA.

Now wonder where to ?

Working idea - combination of BND, BNDX (as vanguard advisor suggests) and maybe plus junk bonds.

Ideas? Anybody in the same line of thinking ?

Stay safe !

Last edited:
None of the above.

Buy individual bonds of strong technology, biotechnology, pharma, and telecom companies when they go on sale. That is the safest way to buy corporate bonds.

For long-term buy and hold investors, I'm not so keen on bonds these days. First, there is higher credit risk as a result of the coming recession. Second, with interest rates so low I am concerned with interest rate risk.

I've been investing in credit union CD specials, but it requires a lot of patience. In the meantime, park the money in an online savings account... they currently pay about 1.4-1.7% and are FDIC insured so no credit risk and no interest rate risk.

ETA: Needless to say, keep the FDIC insurance limits in mind.

Last edited:
Go to Morningstar. Lots of great tools there, a lot is free.

I would avoid ETFs. During the selloff many traded at a discount to their holdings-exactly what you do not want in a time of disruption.

And go for quality. junk bonds trade like equity. Consider them part of your equity allocation .

Also watch out for funds that use leverage. That increases your risk. Easy to identify using Morningstar.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom