Thinking of investing in muni bond fund, but in low tax bracket, worthwhile?

joecan5785

Confused about dryer sheets
I am 61 yrs old, retired, no pension, plan on applying for SS at 67. Since I want to increase my bond allocation and I cannot put anymore in my tax deferred accounts, I will have to add bond fund(s) to my taxable account. I live in Mass and was thinking of buying VMATX (Vanguard MA Tax Exempt) The 30 day SEC yield is 2.80% which translates to a tax equivalent yield of 3.353%. My federal rate is 12% and state, 5.1%

I know that muni funds are ususally best for high tax bracket investors but when I compare VMATX to two other funds I was considering, VMATX is higher. The other funds were VSIGX (Vanguard Intermediate Term Treasury) 30 day yield of 2.52% and VTABX (Vanguard Total International Bond Index) 30 day yield of .93% So, wouldn't muni fund make sense in this instance?

With my dividend income at present, I am not paying any federal tax. I do have 3-4 years expenses in CD's, savings account, etc. to ride out market corrections. Looking for advice as to what are my best bond fund options.

Thanks

What is your equities allocation? One thing to consider is to put international and domestic equities in your taxable account and then sell any equities in your tax-deferred accounts and buy more bonds in your tax-deferred accounts. If you are in the 12% tax bracket then qualified dividends and long-term capital gains are taxed at 0% (federal) and for international equities you get to use the foreign tax credit, which goes to waste in a tax-deferred or tax free account.

Last year, my foreign tax credit was about 3 1/2 times my non-qualified dividend income, so for my international equities my effective tax rate was actually negative... my tax credit exceeded the tax on non-qualified dividends.

pb4uski,

I do have international and domestic equities in my taxable accounts and a reit in tax deferred. Also in tax deferred, I have a corporate bond fund, a mortgage bond fund and emerging market bond fund. Now I am looking at taxable. My equities allocation is 50%

Check out JPC, Nuveen preferred stock fund. Pays about 8%. Or you could look at PMF, pimco’s municipal bond fund, pays over 5%. Jmho

Last edited:
Check out JPC, Nuveen preferred stock fund. Pays about 8%. Or you could look at PMF, pimco’s municipal bond fund, pays over 5%. Jmho

The Pimco fund is a closed end fund. Just be careful. It has a negative 3 year return. Anything with that kind of tax free yield, has an inordinate amount of risk.

If bonds in taxable account is the right thing to do, agree on your choice. I actually use a mix of state bond funds & actual muni bonds.

I'm in a low tax bracket, but I keep my emergency fund in VWAHX. Reason being that the volatility is a lot less in municipals for the return.

So far it hasn't been overly interest rate sensitive, and even went up in share price the day after a few rate increases. The high yield comes from a shorter holding period rather than bottom of the barrel bonds by the rating %'s, that most of the direct comparisons in the high yield market would show.

I chose not to pursue the double tax free of a specific state, just to let the managers have a wider scope to buy better quality.

I'm in a low tax bracket, but I keep my emergency fund in VWAHX. Reason being that the volatility is a lot less in municipals for the return.

So far it hasn't been overly interest rate sensitive, and even went up in share price the day after a few rate increases. The high yield comes from a shorter holding period rather than bottom of the barrel bonds by the rating %'s, that most of the direct comparisons in the high yield market would show.

I chose not to pursue the double tax free of a specific state, just to let the managers have a wider scope to buy better quality.

Just the opposite would be true. Shorter durations = lower yield. The fund has about a 7 year average duration, so the yield comes from holding longer maturity bonds.

I'd go look at the medium and long term municipal holdings, and study the statement from that light.

I don't have a dog in the race when it comes to VWAHX, just that for what it is Vanguard has done a good job with that one fund compared to the competitors high yield offerings. Edit: When it comes to the percentage of holding that are BBB and higher.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom