How to use a grease gun.

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I’ve worked around cars and tools all my life but I guess I never learned how to use a grease gun or, mine is faulty. I can put the end on the grease fitting and, it stays on while I put in some grease. All good. The problem is that the tip of the grease gun won’t come off the grease fitting. I literally pulled a grease fitting out of the housing on my lawn mower. Stripped it right out.

I did notice that if I screw off the cap a bit, the tip of the grease gun doesn’t hold as tight, but then the grease comes out where the threads are. Am I doing something wrong? I’ve had to resort to putting the tip on the fitting and then unscrewing the cap to lessen the tension and pull the tip off the fitting. I’ve never had to do anything like that before and I’ve never had a tip leak where the threads are that the cap screws onto.

I thought I bought a nice grease gun, but maybe I need a different/better tip?

33319-albums249-picture2779.jpeg

Get a locking grease coupling. Comes right off when released, but stays on when connected. This is just one of many similar on ebay and Amazon.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3946106555...NUHUvxiSvC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

+1

OP - I noticed the same issue, as was resorting to screw onto the nipple and then unscrew when done. Otherwise it was tough to do.

Then I tried a locking one, and haven't looked back. It basically is performing the same thing as done when screw on/off , but much more easier and intuitive.

Save your old end, as in a really tight spot, the lever may be in the way and then you can use the old end in that case.

I still have an old grease gun that I bought back in the mid 70's , but no longer own any vehicles that have grease zerks. since about the mid 80s most vehicle have sealed joints and bearings. More $$ to be made replacing a sealed bearing. The last time I used a grease gun was on my old 1983 F150 which we sold over a decade ago. I keep it hanging on the wall in the garage every time i want to get rid of it I invent a reason to keep it.

Get a locking grease coupling. Comes right off when released, but stays on when connected. This is just one of many similar on ebay and Amazon.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3946106555...NUHUvxiSvC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

+2 on the locking grease coupling. "Lock 'N Lube" is the original trade name (like "Kleenex" for facial tissues) but they cost a bit more. Those are also rebuild-able if you do a lot of greasing. They also sell parts kits for the fitting.

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fi...683409929&sprefix=lock+'n+lube,aps,415&sr=8-5

Thanks. I’ll get a locking coupling. Still, what happened to a coupling when you just push hard when you were pumping the grease gun and then it just slid right off when you were done?

38Chevy454 - I’m not so sure about it being stripped. I was using a screwdriver to try to leverage the coupling off of the grease fitting. It’s hard to describe how tight it held onto the fitting. I can’t imagine that’s how it’s supposed to be. I also can’t imagine that the procedure is to unscrew he cap to loosen it when you’re done. Thankfully though, I did figure that out so I could finish my lawnmower maintenance. Crazy.

Thanks. I’ll get a locking coupling. Still, what happened to a coupling when you just push hard when you were pumping the grease gun and then it just slid right off when you were done?

I suspect those were high-quality grease couplers that, if they're even made anymore, are very hard to find, and in addition, "had some miles on them". When in high school I worked in a gas station and did a LOT of lube jobs and the owner had such grease couplers. I have never found couplers like that since. So I suspect the "sharp edges" on those had been worn off making them easier to use.

The locking couplers are the best replacements I've found. I bought them for the snow blower's grease fittings, some of which are screwed into sheet metal on the augers which makes them particularly easy to pull out. Press the lever on the coupler and it comes off with no strain at all on the fitting.

Last edited:
Greasing equipment is part of my daily job, and I endorse the lock 'n lube brand for ease of use and less mess.

I remember Dad showing me how to grease the fittings on a car back in the 60's.
I have never owned or needed a grease gun myself. but I don't do heavy equipment.

I never heard of locking coupling on a grease gun. I bought my grease gun at Sears back in 1971 and still use it today on various things and never had an issue keeping it on the fitting when pumping grease or pulling it off.

My solution(s) to problems such as yours. Works for me.

61iX1QZ1AML._AC_UL320_.jpg

61PNalnEWbL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Greasing equipment is part of my daily job, and I endorse the lock 'n lube brand for ease of use and less mess.

I agree. I have numerous pieces of equipment that need greasing. Not a daily thing for me but I need a grease gun.

The old-time gear box I use on my well pump has certs that are not exchangeable they are molded into the case box permanently.

On my drive line of the old ranch pickup that has two grease certs on it also plus other thing I need one for.

May be an easy solution : DON'T pull it straight off - bring it off at an angle (let it "fall" over from the vertical (relative to the grease nipple)) ... try that and report.

Proper tip (and don't ask how it works - but it does !!) : Sometimes , when trying to attach gun and pump grease in , gun will either not stay on nipple , or grease just comes out the side (ie , not into the joint) - solution - put a piece of cloth - rag / old shirt piece over the nipple , attach gun over this and try !! , works for me EVERY time ... like I say , don't ask why , just try it !
People who don't use a grease gun , must not have a "wee digger" ! .... with about 20 points that need greasing every 1 to 2 hours of use.

May be an easy solution : DON'T pull it straight off - bring it off at an angle (let it "fall" over from the vertical (relative to the grease nipple)) ... try that and report.

I did try that and it did seem to help, but it did not resolve the issue. It still would just not let go of the fitting.

I did try that and it did seem to help, but it did not resolve the issue. It still would just not let go of the fitting.

Of course, you could try loosening the grease gun end a couple of turns, so you can push it on, grease without spillage, and pull it off.

The trick will be to find the correct looseness setting.

Of course, you could try loosening the grease gun end a couple of turns, so you can push it on, grease without spillage, and pull it off.

The trick will be to find the correct looseness setting.

Tried that too. The grease spilled out with just a couple turns. What cracks me up is how was this designed? As purchased, it doesn't work.

I also pull the grease gun coupler off at a slight angle as it seems to come off a little better than pulling it straight off. For the coupler won't stay on the fitting when pumping grease problem, I just snugly push and hold it against the fitting.

Grease gun stuck on zerk fitting....

I've had the same problem on my shredder third wheel - couldn't get the thing off and ended up pulling out the zerk - had to retap and install new one.

I found this video and tried it next time it happened to me. YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom