HVAC “C” wire question

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Thinking about installing a smart thermostat and have read its best to have a “C” wire to allow the thermostat to be powered instead of battery. I pulled off the current thermostat plate and found that there’s a jumper to the C post. I’m assuming that means I don’t have a C wire.

Does anyone know what I have to do to get a C wire or power to the thermostat in general? I’m thinking from what I’ve read that I need to fish a single wire to the thermostat from the furnace room and the hook up a transformer. I’d do all that work except for the final hookup to the furnace. I’m pretty competent, but I don’t want to risk blowing my control panel of the furnace.

Any other easier ways to get power so that I can install a smart thermostat?

Thanks.

33319-albums249-picture2008.jpeg

Last edited:
It's hard to see, but it looks like the following terminals are connected in that image:

G - Fan
W - Heat
C - 24V Neutral
Y - Cooling
R - 24V for heating
.. and R is jumpered to Rc.

Is this what you have now? If so, a new smart thermostat should be good to go.

You may already have the wire there. It may be unused.

If you run a wire, run a new 5+ wire. Do not run a single wire.

My Nest thermostats don't need one.

We have an old Honeywell "smart" thermostat that does have batteries. My understanding, though, is that the batteries are backup and that the main source of thermostat power is the 24v open circuit voltage when it is not calling for heat or cooling. I can't remember when I last changed the batteries/probably years even though this is pretty old technology and probably is not as efficient as the new stuff.

You might want to talk to tech support at your specific thermostat vendor before going through all the grief to get a wire that you may not need.

Don't confuse the "C" terminal with the "RC" terminal. Your arrow is pointing to the "RC" terminal, the black wire is connected to the "C" terminal. The "R" to "RC" jumper is normal, for typical gas-fired, forced-air systems.

It looks like you have the necessary 5 wires. While the G/W/Y/R terminals refer to color coded wire insulation, the "C" wire appears to have black insulation. If you can access your furnace control board you can see where / if the black wire is connected. It should be connected to the "C" terminal there. That is the one you need for power to the thermostat.

It's hard to see, but it looks like the following terminals are connected in that image:

G - Fan
W - Heat
C - 24V Neutral
Y - Cooling
R - 24V for heating
.. and R is jumpered to Rc.

Is this what you have now? If so, a new smart thermostat should be good to go.

Yes. That is a picture of my current wiring at the thermostat.

Don't confuse the "C" terminal with the "RC" terminal. Your arrow is pointing to the "RC" terminal, the black wire is connected to the "C" terminal. The "R" to "RC" jumper is normal, for typical gas-fired, forced-air systems.

It looks like you have the necessary 5 wires. While the G/W/Y/R terminals refer to color coded wire insulation, the "C" wire appears to have black insulation. If you can access your furnace control board you can see where / if the black wire is connected. It should be connected to the "C" terminal there. That is the one you need for power to the thermostat.

Yes, this is a gas fired forced air system.

I'll take a look at the control board.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Some smart thermostats come with the required transformer for installations that don't have a c wire.

Some smart thermostats come with the required transformer for installations that don't have a c wire.

Moot, since the OP does have a C wire, but I had a Sensi Wifi Thermostat that didn't need one, and it worked great.

Jumping ahead a bit, which smart thermostat are you looking at?

There are different features. Do you want it to be standalone, with a connection to the manufacturer's servers and a dedicated app and/or web site? Or do you want to integrate it with a home automation system, Siri, Alexa, etc.?

There are pros and cons to each solution. I was pretty disappointed that my Honeywell smart stats ONLY talk to the Honeywell server. I can't get any historical data from their server, and I can't connect directly to the thermostats. Only through their web site, or their app (which really just talks to their web servers.) I don't do any voice command anyway.

Still, it could be considered handy to have the heat controls separate from all the other "smart" stuff that's controlled by a local home automation hub. And, of course, the setup is a lot easier than if I had local control.

I am very spoiled by thermostat voice control (Ecobee/Alexa). It's now a must have.

Jumping ahead a bit, which smart thermostat are you looking at?

There are different features. Do you want it to be standalone, with a connection to the manufacturer's servers and a dedicated app and/or web site? Or do you want to integrate it with a home automation system, Siri, Alexa, etc.?

There are pros and cons to each solution. I was pretty disappointed that my Honeywell smart stats ONLY talk to the Honeywell server. I can't get any historical data from their server, and I can't connect directly to the thermostats. Only through their web site, or their app (which really just talks to their web servers.) I don't do any voice command anyway.

Still, it could be considered handy to have the heat controls separate from all the other "smart" stuff that's controlled by a local home automation hub. And, of course, the setup is a lot easier than if I had local control.

If it's a "Total Connect Comfort" thermostat, I have been able to set up an Amazon Echo and a Samsung Smart Hub to control it, although it's usually just easier use the app. Both can access the web interface using your credentials. I have tried a few other smart thermostats, and I really like the older Honeywell display better than any other I've used, especially the outside and inside temp and humidity.

Attachments

• Honeywell thermostat.jpg
    Honeywell thermostat.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 18
I had not made a decision on the thermostat yet. Most of the reviews I’ve read seem pretty bad. Mostly with the process to connect and WiFi type issues. I can’t tell if it’s just their ability or the equipment. Honeywell has a good name and the have a cheap one that will do what I think I want, but once in, maybe I’ll want more. So, at the moment, looking mostly at a Honeywell and a Ecobee.

This is the Honeywell. I’m leaning toward this unless I let the reviews get to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=R98VEP0J97HQRYQTH60H

Jerry I'm using a slightly older version of that Honeywell. I chose it because it's simple, didn't need a learning thermostat since I leave it in hold mode and only change the temp when needed. Works well but connecting it to your wifi is done at the thermostat using buttons. Not difficult. App works well, I do get a monthly email with my usage. Also get an email when the wifi is down.

I had not made a decision on the thermostat yet. Most of the reviews I’ve read seem pretty bad. Mostly with the process to connect and WiFi type issues. I can’t tell if it’s just their ability or the equipment. Honeywell has a good name and the have a cheap one that will do what I think I want, but once in, maybe I’ll want more. So, at the moment, looking mostly at a Honeywell and a Ecobee.

This is the Honeywell. I’m leaning toward this unless I let the reviews get to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=R98VEP0J97HQRYQTH60H

I have four Nest thermostats in three different properties. I control them remotely from all over the USA. I never have any disconnect issues, unless there is a wifi issue. If there is, then the thermostat connects automatically when the wifi resumes, all by itself.

Most of them I have are the more expensive version.

Wait for Black Friday to purchase them. If you are a Vet, get it at 10% off at Home Depot. If you live where there is a Menards, wait for the 11% off sale, and buy them at Home Depot and get the additional 11% off via a rebate from Home Depot.

If it's a "Total Connect Comfort" thermostat, I have been able to set up an Amazon Echo and a Samsung Smart Hub to control it, although it's usually just easier use the app.

Right, The Honeywell "TCC" is their back-end server. The stat talks ONLY to the server. You can talk to the server directly through the TCC web site or Honeywell app, then the server sends your commands to the stat.

There's also an API so that third-party systems can talk to their server. Now you're talking to your system, which essentially does for you the same thing you'd do on the web page or app. That's one extra layer of communication, and one more thing to go wrong, but it actually works pretty well.

And of course, you can bring in a whole 'nuther layer by using a cloud-based voice control system like Alexa, Siri or Google. I haven't graduated to that yet, but I can see the benefit.

I have three of those. I also see them just about everywhere, and the price is not bad. Going on two years now, they've been very reliable. Between the web site and the app, they're easy to control from anywhere. Setup was a breeze (once I ran "C" wires.) Because everything's controlled from Honeywell's "mother ship" server, you don't really need to do much. They even manage their own software updates.

My only problem is that I'm a bit of a tinkerer, and I don't like the idea that I have no control, beyond what the web site and app give me. For example, every month they send me a nice e-mail showing the total time in heating and cooling mode, and a couple of simple charts comparing monthly usage. Great. But I want access to MY data, so I can make my own charts. I called, and that's not available.

Another minor annoyance: The API which allows my home automation hub (running Home Assistant) to talk to their server is limited to one connection every six minutes or so. So the heat could be on for up to 12 more (or fewer) minutes than my system knows about.

That said, you're not going to find any well-supported consumer product that lets customers tinker much. That drives support costs way up. I'm working on other ways to gather operating data from my HVAC system. As just a thermostat, these work fine.

I have heard a lot of negatives about the Ecobee, although no first hand experience there.

As others have already said, you have the correct wiring to install a smart thermostat. Be very careful and tag each wire with the lettering lit that is included with your smart thermostat. The color of the wiring jacket does not always correspond to the letter color on the thermostat plate or the furnace board. I chose to go with a simple Sensi thermostat versus a Nest or others, primarily because I did not want it being "too smart." I needed it to be DW friendly and she only wanted the ability to adjust it remotely. Which works perfectly from anywhere inside or outside the house. We did not want it learning our habits and self adjusting the temperature. DW was resistant at first, but would not do without it now. :)

We did not want it learning our habits and self adjusting the temperature. DW was resistant at first, but would not do without it now. :)

Good points. That whole "learning" thing is for people with a strict schedule. Doesn't fit well for retirement. And who wants to share even MORE intimate data about our lives with anyone?

The real benefit, and something you'll grow to depend on, is the ability to adjust the thermostat from anywhere. We do have a programmed schedule, and leave it along most of the time, but being able to change it from time to time is far more valuable than I would have expected.

Good points. That whole "learning" thing is for people with a strict schedule. Doesn't fit well for retirement. And who wants to share even MORE intimate data about our lives with anyone?

The real benefit, and something you'll grow to depend on, is the ability to adjust the thermostat from anywhere. We do have a programmed schedule, and leave it along most of the time, but being able to change it from time to time is far more valuable than I would have expected.

That’s what I was thinking. I’d like the ability to have a better programming ability and the ability to adjust it for a short time when I get a chill or it’s a bit hot. I’m going to look into that Sensi. A quick glance at Amazon shows it to have good reviews.

Happy Sensi owner myself - almost 2 years? I did buy an external 24v power supply since my cable only had 2 wires
The app has gotten better recently

Got my thermostat today (Sensi) and installed it with no problem. Seems to be working just fine. Thank you all for your help.

Got my thermostat today (Sensi) and installed it with no problem. Seems to be working just fine. Thank you all for your help.
Thinking of getting that one myself. My existing thermostat has a wire connected to its C terminal so I should be good to go. But we have two heat pumps on separate thermostats so I will need two of those Sensi's.

Back
Top Bottom