HVAC Seer Advice?

Thanks for all your replies. I just want to note that I've had 5 reputable companies give me quotes, and they ranged from $9500 (Goodman 13 seer) to $14500 (Trane 14 seer). The two quotes I've mentioned above, for a Bryant and Carrier, are middle of the road. Perhaps I should specify that this quote is for the outside unit as well as the air handler in the attic. These really are the going prices in the (expensive) Twin Cities. Pretty sure at this point I'm going to opt for the seer, since you are right about lack of payback.

Do you need to replace right now? Any cooling needs in September?

As another poster noted the current refrigerant (R-410A) will not be used in new systems made after January 1, 2023...OEMs are required to switch to R-32 or R-454b.

If you can wait for a replacement using those new refrigerants I'd do so rather than being stuck with one using an obsolete refrigerant.

One of my questions that I had is how does OP know that she needs a new system? Just because it is blowing warm air does not mean that it needs to be replaced.

It could be a $10 capacitor that needs replacing as this is a fairly common failure mode with compressors. Another low cost problem could be a tripped safety switch on a plugged condensate drain.

-gauss
Right or a bad $15 contactor relay, or an outside coil that is fouled with leaves or inside coil with dog hair.

As another poster noted the current refrigerant (R-410A) will not be used in new systems made after January 1, 2023...OEMs are required to switch to R-32 or R-454b.

If you can wait for a replacement using those new refrigerants I'd do so rather than being stuck with one using an obsolete refrigerant.

^^^
+10

These prices make you realize how much labor profit there is in an installation.

Most of the time, the price should include the first year or more in labor warranty. It's also pretty rare (at least in my experience) for a unit to be installed and not need a follow up visit or three to tweak and balance things. So they probably price for a couple of visits beyond the install, for a standard quote. And then there's stuff like permit fees and handling, pick up and transport of the unit from the suppliers, quite a bit of overhead beyond just the install hours.

Not saying I like paying it, and some have more profit baked in than others, but there's a lot more to the job.

Most of the time, the price should include the first year or more in labor warranty. It's also pretty rare (at least in my experience) for a unit to be installed and not need a follow up visit or three to tweak and balance things. So they probably price for a couple of visits beyond the install, for a standard quote. And then there's stuff like permit fees and handling, pick up and transport of the unit from the suppliers, quite a bit of overhead beyond just the install hours.

Not saying I like paying it, and some have more profit baked in than others, but there's a lot more to the job.
All true, but it often doesn't justify the cost above the material, especifically when you get multiple quotes on the same/same and they vary by $5000. It is a notoriously crooked industry starting with the HVAC manufacturers, running through the part supply houses and then down to the installers and repair techs.
Not that I don't care for the industry, mind you. :cool:

Several HVAC companies are running ads almost non-stop trying to sell ACs "For as little as $99/mo." Not a peep in their ads about the fact that the coolant in these units will be phased out starting next year.

Most people are missing the cost difference... it is NOT in the SEER...it is the variable system vs a single stage system...

I bought a variable stage and zoned my house as I have a two story... it works great and I no longer have the huge temp difference between the floors....

The variable handles humidity better... if that is not a problem there then go for the single stage...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom