I am getting really close

WW2022

Confused about dryer sheets
I discovered this website at least 15 years ago and have lurked on and off ever since. Although, being able to retire early sounded nice, I enjoyed my career and I never did any calculations to determine how much I would need to save to retire at any particular age.

Fast forward a bunch of years. 3 years ago, I was laid off from a job that became quite unpleasant and overly stressful during my last few months there. I spent my time while unemployed reviewing our finances, trying to understand what’s needed to retire, I made appropriate changes to our asset allocation (we were far too conservative), etc. At that time, we had 20X expenses saved - certainly not enough to retire on.

I was able to find a new job quickly with the same title and responsibilities as my past positions, but the overall workload of my team was a tiny fraction of what I have managed in the past. Compared to my previous positions, this was going to be an easy job. For the next 2 years, I kept plenty busy with some large projects and implementing the process improvements that were needed. When this work was done, the days started getting boring. Really, really boring. For me, I would rather have a stressful job that keeps me challenged than a boring job – I now have a lot of time to think about the other things that I would rather be doing.

In the early part of 2021 I initially considered finding another job, but by this time I made it to 30X expenses, and all of the retirement calculators were saying I am good to go. I set a OMY timer and today there is not much more time to go. I am planning on wrapping up a 35 year career at the end of March at and age of 55 along with my wife (57). Thanks to a cooperative market, I have pushed my savings to 34X expenses.

As of today, I have 47 more days to work and it is starting to feel real. My emotions are a mix of being excited about making it to this point and feeling like an idiot for even considering voluntarily walking away from the highest paying position I have ever had.

Thanks to everybody who posted in the countless threads that I learned from over the years. Hopefully I will be able to give something back going forward.

...Thanks to a cooperative market, I have pushed my savings to 34X expenses. ...

Congratulations. One thing to think through is how you would feel if the market experienced a sharp decline that persisted for a few years. I'm not saying that is going to happen but it is prudent to be prepared for the worst.

Congratulations. One thing to think through is how you would feel if the market experienced a sharp decline that persisted for a few years. I'm not saying that is going to happen but it is prudent to be prepared for the worst.

Thanks! I am concerned about a potential sustained market drop and I think that I am adequately prepared. My current AA is 50 / 50 with over 10 years of expenses in cash - this is probably too conservative.

Congrats, I am heading out the third week of February so our timelines seem to be close.

I am looking forward to it with some angst as it is a new phase and new always takes some adjustment. Although I have taken the two weeks between Xmas and Jan 10th off and I am quite happy not going to work and taking things easy so far. :)

I am in a similar frame of mind (and state of finances). I am in my last few months of OMY.
As another poster said recently in another thread: “we humans are good at adapting”. You’ll get good at changing your mindset and rolling with your new challenges.

You have slightly more of a multiple of annual expenses, but you’re a couple of years earlier as well.

Enjoy the go! I am getting excited for all of us 2022 newbies.

Btw, I agree with your “too conservative” assessment on cash. I suspect you already have a plan for that. You’ll get get there soon, I’m sure. I get it.

Back
Top Bottom