I joined Boglehead today - but will stay here also :-)

As a new member here and a long time BH I appreciate both. I turned here as it's more retirement phase based as opposed to accumulation phase. I agree BH has gotten too big and too time consuming to go through, you can't however beat them when you have a technical question that needs an answer. While I do see the bias towards Vanguard I have no trouble with it as I have the same bias, a wide range of cheap index funds is a good thing.
I would like to see the results from the ER's Legalizing Marijuana poll done on the BH forum, it would be interesting to see if there is much contrast. Alas it would need an investing or money twist to it to qualify.

I read their forum often, but do not post. I occasionally read a comment from a poster in reference to this forum. Usually in a positive manner, but I laugh when several will over generalize that the ER Forum is full of "retired military and police/firemen with pensions". I always thought this forum to be fairly well diversified career wise.
Don't forget us engineers and burned-out IT types. :D

And today I joined the Money Mustache forum :) it looks quite good also. Wondering if many participants here are also on Money Mustache and what they think of that forum compared to this one.

I am not a BH member, but will occassionally take a peek at their posts. Have not looked at Money Mustache. Trying to keep up with multiple forums is too much like work for me:cool:

Many posters at BH seem to be anti-retirement or at least anti early retirement. I've been shocked to read opinions that people should continue to work for five more years when they clearly have more money then they need to retire. One guy had $5 million plus a future pension plus future SS payments and fairly low espenses.

Helen,

I agree with you and I think some people find their life purpose in work, not an opinion that I share, nor others here at ER. I find that if that is what they want so be it.

I always remember a statement from a consulting engr from SC, "people up north live to work, where as the people of the south work to live"

I am not a BH member, but will occassionally take a peek at their posts. Have not looked at Money Mustache. Trying to keep up with multiple forums is too much like work for me:cool:

I haen't looked at the forums, but money mustache the blogger has my BS Artist Meter jumping off the dashboard.

Reactions: W2R
You cannot even discuss a bond active fund like PTTRX. Lots of snide remarks about Bill Gross and by implication the poster who mentions PTTRX in positive fashion. It's a bit too much. Or if you had a position in Vanguard Small Cap Growth Index (I don't at the moment) and wanted to discuss it, you'd also probably get lots of ugly remarks.

PTTRX? Vanguard Small Cap Index Fund? That's nothing. Try asking them about convection ovens. Talk about ugly remarks!

I haen't looked at the forums, but money mustache the blogger has my BS Artist Meter jumping off the dashboard.

Why does he have your BS meter going off? The guy has seemingly done nothing but be open an upfront with all that he does. He's even up here in Seattle tomorrow, but it doesn't make sense for me to try to meet up with him.

Many posters at BH seem to be anti-retirement or at least anti early retirement. I've been shocked to read opinions that people should continue to work for five more years when they clearly have more money then they need to retire. One guy had $5 million plus a future pension plus future SS payments and fairly low espenses.
BH members are not unique in their views on (early) retirement, this place is...to each his/her own.

Last edited:
Why does he have your BS meter going off? The guy has seemingly done nothing but be open an upfront with all that he does. He's even up here in Seattle tomorrow, but it doesn't make sense for me to try to meet up with him.

Uh, just off the top of my head:

- Its nice that dude quit his day job, but he is self-employed rather than retired. Good for him, but disingenuous.

- His wife apparently had a full time job for quite a while and finally quit maybe 6 months ago. Selective reporting on his part on the family income.

- Little details come out from time to time that are surprising and make the claim of being retired/whatever suspect.

- Sunshine does not fly out of everyone's butts all the time, the skies are not always clear, and bad things can and do happen with depressing regularity. Any hapless/foolish readers of his stuff would be lead into thinking that everything is always roses.

There is more, but I won't belabor the point. Its nice that he can spin such a lovely confectionary of a story and it makes for entertaining reading.

MMM's forum average age is probably 20 years younger than here.. It's like the young dreamers section of these forums, but a whole forum like that.

It's inspiring if you're that age, probably a bit tiresome if you aren't.

The median savings rate over there is about 50% though, as many save more than that as save less, so it's a good group if you're looking for budget cutting tips and similar advice.

Whether or it your think MMM is retired or not based on your definition of retired, the message he writes about (less consumerism) is a great one. I think his blog is worth reading beginning to end for someone new to frugality. Many of the LBYM folks here may not get a lot out of it besides entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom