I Just Dumbed Down My Phone and It Feels Good

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
My [-]downgrade [/-] upgrade to a replacement phone, now on Android 10 has been a headache.

Never could get the notifications to work right. Seems the culprit mainly is Android 10 (and perhaps the actual hardware itself) goes on overdrive and kills apps to save battery life.

So, I decided to pretty much set to no longer get notified for almost all my apps (except texting). Since they weren't working right anyhow, better to get no notifications than maybe just once in awhile.

The silence is deafening :popcorn:.

But if I did this, how would I know that my cat just moved in the living room and triggered my camera to record and save it for posterity?

But if I did this, how would I know that my cat just moved in the living room and triggered my camera to record and save it for posterity?

Still could check the record after the fact. Just not in real time.

That's how I'm approaching my Amazon notifications now. I can still check status in email or on PC. Just won't be camping out staring to the mobile waiting for a blip notification.

Wasn't what I wanted as the old phone had everything set right. But the new phone with Android 10 is nothing to write home about.

I turn off all notifications other than text messages and I get very few of those. The only other notification I will turn on is the interior camera when we are gone more than a few days - but with no pets, I very seldom get notificatioins for that other than twice a day when the interior light near the camera goes on in the morning and goes off in the evening.

My smartphone is just a phone. I have zero data.
So I don't get lots of notifications of anything, and therefore have no interest in alerts for all the apps.

When I connect to wifi, there is a flood of alerts about my camera's seeing movement outside, etc.

I'm thinking of upgrading to get some data, so I'll follow OP's idea of turning off notifications for most everything.

Generally speaking, those notifications do not solve any problem that I have. I have no spy cameras, either. Almost all notifications are turned off. IIRC text notifications are the only ones permitted.

Still could check the record after the fact. Just not in real time.

That's how I'm approaching my Amazon notifications now. I can still check status in email or on PC. Just won't be camping out staring to the mobile waiting for a blip notification.

Wasn't what I wanted as the old phone had everything set right. But the new phone with Android 10 is nothing to write home about.

Amazon notifications. OH. MY. GOD. Not on the phone...no issue there as I have disabled almost all notifications outside of calls/texts. But Alexa?! I swear, as soon as I disable ALL NOTIFICATIONS, they will add a new one. And using a VOICE ASSISTANT to stop it? Nope. You say, "Alexa, disable ALL NOTIFICATIONS" to which it responds, "You can easily change these settings in the app." NOT HELPFUL, ALEXA. NOT HELPFUL. :mad::mad::mad:

OK, I feel better now. ;)

I'm on Android 11 on Pixel 3. There is a feature where the system asks you on first notification if you want them to continue from the app. It's easier to find the notifications and turn them off if you must.
The ones I need are text, phone, WhatsApp, HVAC, smartphone, Google assistant, Electric utility, and a few more. In general any shopping app will drive you crazy.

I'm on Android 11 on Pixel 3. There is a feature where the system asks you on first notification if you want them to continue from the app. It's easier to find the notifications and turn them off if you must.
The ones I need are text, phone, WhatsApp, HVAC, smartphone, Google assistant, Electric utility, and a few more. In general any shopping app will drive you crazy.

On Android 11, do notifications get suppressed incorrectly? Seems that way for me with Android 10. The issue isn't too many notifications but those that don't come through properly.

For all my apps I only keep the "badges" notifications turned on with no sound. So I don't get distracted or interrupted by endless notifications throughout the day. But every time I check my phone I can easily see which apps require attention.

On Android 11, do notifications get suppressed incorrectly? Seems that way for me with Android 10. The issue isn't too many notifications but those that don't come through properly.
I've never had a problem with notifications not coming through from the app, on 9 or 10 or 11.

I suppose your phone might not support the OS fully, or other settings influence this "suppression." I've accidentally silenced notifications with the power button, and then tapping the "bell" icon. You could have a DND period set?

I was looking through the settings yesterday after you posted, but realized I can't remember what changed from 10 to 11. I just recall that something in notifications improved for me.

I've never had a problem with notifications not coming through from the app, on 9 or 10 or 11.

I suppose your phone might not support the OS fully, or other settings influence this "suppression." I've accidentally silenced notifications with the power button, and then tapping the "bell" icon. You could have a DND period set?

I was looking through the settings yesterday after you posted, but realized I can't remember what changed from 10 to 11. I just recall that something in notifications improved for me.

Thanks for the reply. The phone I have is a cheap ZTE Avid 579 on Android 10. Might very well be like what you said about perhaps phone not supporting the OS fully.

I've read reviews (just to make sure not only me) of the phone and have seen others with the same complaint as me of apps running in background getting killed. I've seen that first hand with my phone. Like locking on app to try and keep open, but then see that the app gets closed. Or setting a default message app as not the standard message app, but then that only works when the app is manually opened, then I get a notification.

Other example is I use Blokoda as ad blocker. On the old phone this worked perfectly just running in the background always active. On the new phone, the app gets turned off even when I try to keep on using Blokoda's VPN setting.

Regardless, as the heading says, I kind of like the peace and quiet of just having almost all the notifications off. This could actually be a blessing in disguise after all.

Last edited:
I would buy another new phone. It is only money.

When you buy cheap junk, you usually get cheap junk.

A good phone is more important than ever with work requiring 2 factor and 2 factor for important data.

Thanks for the reply. The phone I have is a cheap ZTE Avid 579 on Android 10. Might very well be like what you said about perhaps phone not supporting the OS fully.

Or it could be due to the phone struggling to run the app while reporting all your activity/information back to China.

...just kidding, at least I hope. :)

What's up with all the hate for older phones?

I appreciate the latest version of Android on my Pixel 3 now automatically deletes permissions for apps I haven't been using.

before retirement, I needed to be reachable in case of an emergency at work. Since retirement, I have gotten less and less reachable. I have my "do not disturb" function scheduled to come on every night and I am starting to have my ringer turned off lots during the day. I also tend to not carry the phone if I am around the house, just leave it in one place and check it whenever.

I would buy another new phone. It is only money.

When you buy cheap junk, you usually get cheap junk.

A good phone is more important than ever with work requiring 2 factor and 2 factor for important data.

My cheap junky phone still works for 2 factor. I have a new app for that where I can actually backup/restore the OTP codes :).

before retirement, I needed to be reachable in case of an emergency at work. Since retirement, I have gotten less and less reachable. I have my "do not disturb" function scheduled to come on every night and I am starting to have my ringer turned off lots during the day. I also tend to not carry the phone if I am around the house, just leave it in one place and check it whenever.

I couldn't imagine carrying my phone around the house. No way, no how. And my DND is on all the time. :)

People have their preferences for phones and how to use them just as they prefer certain flavors of ice cream.

I can imagine some users feeling that every notification is a nuisance. I can also feel the reality that I'm at a stage where each WhatsApp text or video call is important to our family.

Texts from my family are important. A lot of times it is stupid sh*t, but that is family tradition.

Email notifications are pretty important. I communicate through a health care app with physicians and I get notice of their response to my questions, as well as test results. Then I log in to the app and communicate securely, find out good or bad, and talk with the family.

So I like a lot of flavors.

I don't stay glued to my mobile (we have VOIP with extensions all over the house, basement, garage - that is convenient for me).

But I worry about that 'do not disturb' - what if someone calls with an emergency at 3 AM?

-ERD50

I've read reviews (just to make sure not only me) of the phone and have seen others with the same complaint as me of apps running in background getting killed. I've seen that first hand with my phone. Like locking on app to try and keep open, but then see that the app gets closed. Or setting a default message app as not the standard message app, but then that only works when the app is manually opened, then I get a notification.

Other example is I use Blokoda as ad blocker. On the old phone this worked perfectly just running in the background always active. On the new phone, the app gets turned off even when I try to keep on using Blokoda's VPN setting.

Regardless, as the heading says, I kind of like the peace and quiet of just having almost all the notifications off. This could actually be a blessing in disguise after all.

Go in Peace!

It does happen that the cool new features offered by apps take over your phone. I've been strict on uninstalling or turning off the permissions whenever something bugs me.

I don't stay glued to my mobile (we have VOIP with extensions all over the house, basement, garage - that is convenient for me).

But I worry about that 'do not disturb' - what if someone calls with an emergency at 3 AM?

-ERD50

Unless my DW is out at that time, no one is going to call me at 3 AM "in an emergency"...if it's a true emergency, they can call 911. :D

In all seriousness, most of the blockers will allow calls from listed contacts so unless they are calling from a strange number, I would get the call.

Unless my DW is out at that time, no one is going to call me at 3 AM "in an emergency"...if it's a true emergency, they can call 911. :D

In all seriousness, most of the blockers will allow calls from listed contacts so unless they are calling from a strange number, I would get the call.

Sure, but I imagine a case where one of my kids lose their phone, or have it stolen,so they borrow a friends to call me. Maybe they got locked out of their house/car (with phone inside). Not on the contact list.

I'm not talking life threatening emergencies for 911, but stuff happens, you never know. If we knew what they were, they wouldn't be emergencies.

-ERD50

My call blocking strategy is to allow those not on my contact list to leave a voice mail.

That's still screens out most of the robocalls yet leaves the door open for the in case of emergency callers.

Back
Top Bottom