I need a new router

Most consumer tech items like this are designed for about 3 to 5 years. Some fail early, some go on forever. You are getting on the long end of it working OK (power supply, capacitors, etc).

However, I'm more worried about the software and settings in your case. The default settings and operations of routers have progressed quite a bit in 10 years. By default, they tend to stop the worst of hacker attacks. Your 10 year old router probably is wide open in comparison.

At 10 years, start your search for a replacement. It is time.

Thanks for the response - did not know this. Now I'll start to look for a new one. Wish I knew what features/specs to look for (w/o breaking the bank).

Thanks for the response - did not know this. Now I'll start to look for a new one. Wish I knew what features/specs to look for (w/o breaking the bank).
You have made it this far apparently OK. Don't rush. There are plenty of options for affordable prices, mentioned on this thread.

Is $105 breaking the bank? Amazon has the router that Midpack linked to in post #47, for that price today ($125 minus $20 coupon if you click in a box on the webpage). It's the number one best selling router on Amazon, so apparently it has the features/specs that many people want.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R2AZLD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How long do routers last? I have a old blue Linksy router which must be 10 yrs old.

It is a wireless- G 2.4 GHZ broadband. Is this considered a dinosaur? I know next to nothing about routers. What specs should one look for a reliable router?
Probably dual band 2.4/5 ghz. Note if you have computers without the 5 ghz adapter, then you can buy a usb dongle for it for less than $20 at amazon. 5 ghz has a somewhat shorter range so you are likley to have less congestion from neighbors. (If you scan for wireless networks on G do you see the neighbors?

Here is the router I have... Actually I have both, an Arris Surfboard cable modem. SBG6900-AC.

media

I got mine on sale at Staples for $109 a few months ago. Seemed like a deal to me too.
I think it's a great deal for what it is. After reading your posts about it last spring, I was sold! I bought one on Amazon at that time and I have been quite happy with it.

I love the range. Frank can easily log into my router from his house next door (using my password), for example. Not that he does that normally, but it's nice to know that he can if necessary.
That looks like an excellent router, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom