I95 North and South

f35phixer

Full time employment: Posting here.
https://www.i95exitguide.com/traffic/

has anyone travel I95 from say Md to Ga during Flo's storm? We are leaving this coming Tuesday for Brunswick, Ga delaying from yesterday. :mad: i know 95 has flooded previously from storms, along with power outage and not being able to pump gas. Have been using Gas Buddy to see what stations are out of power or gas along route, there are SOME out....

Any other websites you can think of for tracking traffic, I hope I95exit will tell me that section x to y is flloded!!!

Thanks, i95 now closed N&S have to go to TN to get to GA��

Nah, 81 to 77, which isn't THAT much longer. That's 3 days away anyway. Hopefully 95 will be open by then. 81 will be in the rain by then probably, though it shouldn't flood. 29/74 is another option.

A little detour won't hurt you. The ride down I-95 through North and South Carolina is about as boring a road as there is anyway. I-81 and I-75 is much more entertaining.

I-85 to I-74 or I-77 is another option. Might be crowded though, and maybe there's a reason why they recommend going all the way out to I-81. If possible I'd wait a few more days. Looks sunny starting Wednesday.

I would never put 5 gal of gas in trunk !!!! accident waiting to happen.

We check into Jekyll Wednesday, things might be fine by then, but i also have MAJOR projects at work, two things stressing me out.

from home to knoxville is 8 hours / 500 then knox to brunswick is 7/450 vice normal 96 ~9:30 500 something....

I would never put 5 gal of gas in trunk !!!! accident waiting to happen.

Agree carrying that much gas a long distance in the trunk is a bad idea. If I thought extra gas was totally necessary, I might carry a couple of gallons and empty the can into the fuel tank as soon as I could. Then abandon the empty container open somewhere.

A far better idea would be to keep speed down for better gas mileage, then look up a couple of shopping areas with multiple stations a couple of miles from the interstate along the route if needed, so you aren't competing with long distance drivers to buy gas.

A passenger can also be using a smartphone to track availability of gas along the way.

Last edited:
That's true of course, but it made me laugh. I thought of a road trip I made a long time ago with four 5-gallon cans full of gas in the back of an SUV. And they were needed!

That was in South America in an area where gas stations were few and far between. Fortunately, no harm came to us, but it was definitely an adventure.

I had an unused empty gas can in the back of my SUV. One time on a trip across I-75 in S.Fla (alligator alley), DH was driving and didn't stop at the last chance for gas, thinking we had enough. I mentioned "well, worst case I have a gas can in the back".

Later, we ran into major traffic, lane closure for miles, complete stoppage, and were down the last handful of miles in the tank, but with at least 2 handfuls to drive. DH said "well it's a good thing you have that can of gas!".

No no, I said, I have a gas can, not a can of gas.

So, I took off walking amongst the stopped cars waving my little red can, found a trucker with a big container who gave me a gallon and saved the day.

And once we got moving again (to the next gas station), I quizzed him why he didn't give me a hard time at the idea I was driving around with a full can of gas just for no reason.

I had an unused empty gas can in the back of my SUV. One time on a trip across I-75 in S.Fla (alligator alley), DH was driving and didn't stop at the last chance for gas, thinking we had enough. I mentioned "well, worst case I have a gas can in the back".

Later, we ran into major traffic, lane closure for miles, complete stoppage, and were down the last handful of miles in the tank, but with at least 2 handfuls to drive. DH said "well it's a good thing you have that can of gas!".

No no, I said, I have a gas can, not a can of gas.

So, I took off walking amongst the stopped cars waving my little red can, found a trucker with a big container who gave me a gallon and saved the day.

And once we got moving again (to the next gas station), I quizzed him why he didn't give me a hard time at the idea I was driving around with a full can of gas just for no reason.

Great story! DH and I would have had a very similar conversation! [emoji3]

Back
Top Bottom