Ideal house/apt size for singles?

What is the ideal house/apt square footage for a single woman in her 60's?

• 250-750 square feet

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • 750-1250 square feet

Votes: 62 52.1%
  • 1250-1750 square feet

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • 1750-2250 square feet

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • 2250-2750 square feet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2750-3250 square feet

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • >3250 square feet: Go for the McMansion!!! :)

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
I love high ceilings .My living room is two stories high all windows .The curtains cost as much as my first car and they are very plain .

LOL!! Now that you mention it, I remember a house my ex and I had with 17' ceilings in Texas. We had to have the curtains custom made, and they cost a fortune. Then, our macaws chewed on them. But what we lost in the cost of curtains, we made up in the prices of Christmas trees. Right before Christmas, they would nearly give away big Christmas trees since they won't fit in most homes.

I had a 1800 square foot house when I was single .It was three bedrooms and two baths new construction with an open concept and a two car garage no basement . I think between 1600 -1800 is a perfect size not too small but not too large . I 've had basements in New Jersey great for storage .

That sounds like a very nice house. I don't know if I would need the storage in a basement. If I stored something there, I probably wouldn't ever use it so I might as well throw it out. To me, the basement would be just for peace of mind when tornados were threatening. But then, that's not a small thing for me since I worry a lot and there are a lot of tornados in Missouri. Peace of mind is desirable.

It seems like the group as a whole prefers houses from 750-1250, or 750-1750 square feet. Considering all the six figure salaries and millionaires here, I wasn't expecting that!! I was the lone person who put 1750-2250 square feet.

So my suspicions were right - - I should consider the fact that I would be perfectly happy in a smaller home than that. I guess the fact that I could afford such a huge home in Missouri was causing me to wonder if I should try a larger home.

Last edited:
I am single, and my home is a relatively new 1450 sq. ft. I don't want to share walls, prefer a newer home, and enjoy having 3 bedrooms and 2 baths along with an open floor plan for the kitchen, dining, and living area. In my case, I have a huge covered patio and a nice yard with several trees which I hire someone to mow. I fractured my foot several months ago and had to hire someone until it healed. It was so wonderful having that task done for me that I continued with the arrangement even after the cast was off. When my 80 yr old do-it-yourself aunt comes by, I just limp a little. ;) That woman has no fear of getting on a tractor and mowing acres of property any time she decides it needs it!

I like puttering with my big flowerbeds and landscaping but mowing is just a PITA to me.

If I had to move and couldn't find something this size, I would definitely buy smaller rather than larger. I could probably be happy with 1100-1200 sq. ft. but I would probably give up one bedroom in order to have larger living space.

I love the home I have now and can't imagine having anything larger. It seems just about perfect to me.

Enjoy the search!
TG

So my experience is that when I was designing my eventual retirement home, the stock market was soaring and money was barely a factor, so it ballooned. I wound up with about 3800 sq feet, and lots of deck space. 3 levels including a walk out basement. I still love it, but if I was to do it again I know there's some rooms I'd cut out or shrink. I've considered downsizing but there's too much I like about the house and I figure the real estate commission hit will be more than the extra utilities, etc. Part of the problem is that I still haven't really settled in and I have some ideas to make some cozy areas, and I still need to do things like area rugs which should also help.

I also live temporarily in Texas. For awhile I lived in apartments from 600-900 square feet and they were way too small for me, especially with my daughter with me some weekends. So I bought a ranch. I was looking in the 1200 sq foot range but to get in a neighborhood and condition I wanted, I wound up with 1800 square feet. All I have in the the front living room / dining room is my computer desk and side table so that's a lot of space I don't need. The rest of the house is a very nice size, great plan, and I often feel more comfortable here in what is essentially a starter+ tract house than in my custom built house. If I was to design a new home from scratch I'd probably start with this house then the other one. Then again, I might decide I wanted my game room and that would start getting it closer to the size I wound up building anyway.

btw I think it makes perfect sense to have a standalone house if you like some privacy and quiet. I hear from so many people that they don't like yardwork and maintenance. I suggest hiring a mower or a complete yard service, and they balk at the cost, but yet have no problem paying HOA dues for a condo or townhouse that is much more expensive! That doesn't make sense to me. I happen to like taking care of my yard, but if I didn't I'd just hire it out.

btw I think it makes perfect sense to have a standalone house if you like some privacy and quiet. I hear from so many people that they don't like yardwork and maintenance. I suggest hiring a mower or a complete yard service, and they balk at the cost, but yet have no problem paying HOA dues for a condo or townhouse that is much more expensive! That doesn't make sense to me. I happen to like taking care of my yard, but if I didn't I'd just hire it out.

Privacy and quiet are really important to me, so that is what I'll probably do.

I can really relate to ending up with an 1800 square foot home in order to get the condition and neighborhood that you want, not to mention a large enough lot to keep considerable separation between me and my neighbors. I am not sure why these factors should be related to the size of homes in an area, but they are.

Thanks for the story about the 3800 square foot dream house. Maybe that will help me to keep grounded in reality, instead of thinking "I can afford it, so shouldn't I just get it?" I can also afford a smaller home. :2funny:

I am single, and my home is a relatively new 1450 sq. ft. I don't want to share walls, prefer a newer home, and enjoy having 3 bedrooms and 2 baths along with an open floor plan for the kitchen, dining, and living area. In my case, I have a huge covered patio and a nice yard with several trees which I hire someone to mow. I fractured my foot several months ago and had to hire someone until it healed. It was so wonderful having that task done for me that I continued with the arrangement even after the cast was off. When my 80 yr old do-it-yourself aunt comes by, I just limp a little. ;) That woman has no fear of getting on a tractor and mowing acres of property any time she decides it needs it!

I like puttering with my big flowerbeds and landscaping but mowing is just a PITA to me.

If I had to move and couldn't find something this size, I would definitely buy smaller rather than larger. I could probably be happy with 1100-1200 sq. ft. but I would probably give up one bedroom in order to have larger living space.

I love the home I have now and can't imagine having anything larger. It seems just about perfect to me.

Enjoy the search!
TG

I will, and thanks for the input!

Lots of people have heart attacks while mowing, and I get just as much exercise and more, safely, in the gym, instead. At least that is what I tell myself! Besides, there is more to life than perpetual mowing.

Having lived for 5 years in a 160 sq. ft. studio apt and having loved every minute of it, I would say less is more when it comes to living spaces. However, now that I have enjoyed living in a bigger space, I would say my ideal home size would be about 500-800 sq ft for a couple and about 400-500 sq ft for a batchelor.
In my 160 sp ft "cozy" studio I had a bathroom, kitchenette (sink, fridge, stove, oven, and a few cabinets) with kitchen table and chairs, a desk with an office chair, a sofa/bed with coffee/bedside table, and bookshelves. What else could I possibly need? If you use multifunctional (and folding) furniture, make use of the latest gadgets like flat screen TVs and laptop computers, a single person does not need much space at all!
Gosh, I even was able to entertain up to 3 people in my studio (though not formally).
Now I understand that it is not for everybody and now that I experienced living in a bigger space I would like to have at least 1 bedroom separated from the rest of the space, a full kitchen even if on the small side, and a dining area outside the kitchen (though it could be a dining/living combo area). So if it was just me a 400-500 sq ft condo would quite easily fit the bill. If it was for my wife and me, I would want a second bedroom to use as an office so that we would not step on each other's toes.
My mom has been living for 20 years in a 950 sq ft condo (3 bedrooms, dining room, living room, bathroom and kitchen) and she finds the place too big for her now (she is single and in her 60's). She wants to downside to a smaller condo, maybe 500-600 sq ft, with only 2 bedrooms, a living/dining combo area, kitchen and bathroom.

Having lived for 5 years in a 160 sq. ft. studio apt and having loved every minute of it, I would say less is more when it comes to living spaces.

The smallest I'd heard of previously was 184sf.

I'm rethinking converting the garage (12x20).

i use a bathroom, kitchen, florida room, bedroom & one bedroom as the office. i have no idea why i have a 3rd bedroom or a living room.

i'm still undecided about vagabonding or sailing. every so often i consider one of these:
1786402_1.jpg

there's one for sale in south florida & i've been tempted to have a look. probably only about 400 sq ft of living space but the views can't be beat. the backyard is huge. and if the neighbor's dog starts to bark ya just toss off a few lines and move.

I live in 500 sq ft. It is fine, since I go out a lot. Mainly if I am here, I am sleeping, reading, using the computer or cooking. None of this takes much space. If I didn't have to pay up for it, I probably would want an additional 500 sq. ft.

Ha

Big houses are great but remember they come with big utility bills ,bigger insurance bills and more maintenance .

In my 160 sp ft "cozy" studio I had a bathroom, kitchenette (sink, fridge, stove, oven, and a few cabinets) with kitchen table and chairs, a desk with an office chair, a sofa/bed with coffee/bedside table, and bookshelves. What else could I possibly need?

Peace and quiet? I dunno. I lived in an apartment before I bought my house, and it was a reasonable place to live. Some of the aspects I didn't like about it were the parking situation, listening to my neighbors boots stomping across the floor over my head, and knowing people were all around me, whether I heard them or not. All of these were more related to the fact that it was an apartment, than due to the size, though.

If I buy a small house, I am going to have some remodeling in my future (ugh). I haven't seen many houses in Middle America with the amenities I want like granite countertops, French doors, crown molding, and a huuuuuge tiled shower, on a third of an acre with no homeowners' association, that were in the 750-1250 square foot range.

Big houses are great but remember they come with big utility bills ,bigger insurance bills and more maintenance .

Not to mention property taxes. But then, the area of the country that I am moving to is very low in cost of living, and I could spend more on these things if I wanted to. I just don't know if I really want all that extra space or if it will be more of a pain in the rear than it is worth.

i use a bathroom, kitchen, florida room, bedroom & one bedroom as the office. i have no idea why i have a 3rd bedroom or a living room.

i'm still undecided about vagabonding or sailing. every so often i consider one of these:
1786402_1.jpg

there's one for sale in south florida & i've been tempted to have a look. probably only about 400 sq ft of living space but the views can't be beat. the backyard is huge. and if the neighbor's dog starts to bark ya just toss off a few lines and move.

Ah, that is the life! I lived on a large trimaran (with someone) for a while when I was 19, back in the 1960's. It was wonderful, for several reasons! But these days, it is such a pain getting a live-in slip. Besides, I am just not as suited to that life any more and I am headed to Missouri.

Idea house/apt for singles?

Ah, that is the life! I lived on a large trimaran (with someone) for a while when I was 19, back in the 1960's. It was wonderful, for several reasons! But these days, it is such a pain getting a live-in slip. Besides, I am just not as suited to that life any more and I am headed to Missouri.

Is your heart set on Missouri?

Would you consider moving to the GREAT STATE of TEXAS? If yes, Lubbock and Corpus Christi are nice.

The cost of living in Lubbock is not bad and the price of homes are going down.

As for the ideal SF for a single person I guess that would depend on what you would like and how much you have (things, furniture, etc..., etc..)

Texas can always use a few more GOOD people and if you decide to come down I am sure you would be welcomed.

GOD BLESS:angel:

Is your heart set on Missouri?

Would you consider moving to the GREAT STATE of TEXAS? If yes, Lubbock and Corpus Christi are nice.

The cost of living in Lubbock is not bad and the price of homes are going down.

As for the ideal SF for a single person I guess that would depend on what you would like and how much you have (things, furniture, etc..., etc..)

Texas can always use a few more GOOD people and if you decide to come down I am sure you would be welcomed.

GOD BLESS:angel:

Well thank you for such a wonderful compliment!! I lived in College Station from 1984 to 1996, and really liked Texas and the down to earth, practical attitude that Texans often seem to have. Although Texas doesn't have an income tax (which is nice), I still remember the property taxes there which were sky high. I also remember the scorching, withering heat without a drop of rain to cool things off in the summer. But still, I haven't completely ruled out Texas. My dear friend Frank, who will be retiring to the same place as me, isn't too crazy about the real estate tax situation there but maybe he will "see the light".

Peace and quiet? I dunno. I lived in an apartment before I bought my house, and it was a reasonable place to live. Some of the aspects I didn't like about it were the parking situation, listening to my neighbors boots stomping across the floor over my head, and knowing people were all around me, whether I heard them or not. All of these were more related to the fact that it was an apartment, than due to the size, though.

Well apartment living is not for everyone.I grew up and lived most of my life in a condo, so it is the kind of things I am totally used to. Plus the condos I lived in were all made of reinforced concrete with good sound-proof insulation so noisy neighboors were never a problem.

If I buy a small house, I am going to have some remodeling in my future (ugh). I haven't seen many houses in Middle America with the amenities I want like granite countertops, French doors, crown molding, and a huuuuuge tiled shower, on a third of an acre with no homeowners' association, that were in the 750-1250 square foot range

My dream is to eventually exchange my current house for a smaller condo loaded with luxury features. I don't care about spending a lot of money for ever more space, what I want is top notch construction quality, architectural details, marble counter tops and custom cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom, bathroom tiled floor to ceiling with high quality porcelain sink and tube, high quality fixtures, etc.

Sooo - you print out this thread/get your yellow highlighter/underline the stuff you want in your house/take it to an architect/tell him it's for SW Missouri or Texas - and you have your ideal house.

Now finding the low property tax ex-cow pasture/perfect subdivision to put it in - that may be another thread - perhaps with a few Texas jokes.

:confused:How come I never hear Missouri jokes - cause there are none! Dorothy/Toto/OZ/Kansas but poor Missouri gets no respect!

heh heh heh

Last edited:
If I buy a small house, I am going to have some remodeling in my future (ugh). I haven't seen many houses in Middle America with the amenities I want like granite countertops, French doors, crown molding, and a huuuuuge tiled shower, on a third of an acre with no homeowners' association, that were in the 750-1250 square foot range.

My shower is one of the things I really love about my house. I put in a walk-in shower, a lot like this: Professional Builders - Shower Systems Walk In.

The only difference is that I put a shower head on the wall that becomes curved, so we had to put in a row of tiles to house the plumbing. The back walls have the same tile and I think it looks even nicer than this one. The light from the glass blocks makes it seem roomier, and it's really nice not dealing with a door or stepping over the side of a tub.

Sooo - you print out this thread/get your yellow highlighter/underline the stuff you want in your house/take it to an architect/tell him it's for SW Missouri or Texas - and you have your ideal house.

Now finding the low property tax ex-cow pasture/perfect subdivision to put it in - that may be another thread - perhaps with a few Texas jokes.

:confused:How come I never hear Missouri jokes - cause there are none! Dorothy/Toto/OZ/Kansas but poor Missouri gets no respect!

heh heh heh

I just might do that. Builders are going to be needing some work after this housing bust, after all. Having a house built could take a couple of years, but I would (probably?) end up with a house that I like. Well, I know they would probably say 1 year, but whatever they say I would mentally double or triple the time.

Don't know about the Missouri jokes. Maybe they have them in Kansas? :)

My shower is one of the things I really love about my house. I put in a walk-in shower, a lot like this: Professional Builders - Shower Systems Walk In.

The only difference is that I put a shower head on the wall that becomes curved, so we had to put in a row of tiles to house the plumbing. The back walls have the same tile and I think it looks even nicer than this one. The light from the glass blocks makes it seem roomier, and it's really nice not dealing with a door or stepping over the side of a tub.

I love the glass blocks on your shower, and not dealing with a door! These were already part of my "fantasy shower" concept, and the size of your shower is just right too. One thing that I really love in a shower is the feel of small tiles under my feet instead of just a flat surface. My fantasy shower would have those, too, as well as a small, sturdy tile bench across one end for sitting to scrub my feet, or for when I get old.

My dream is to eventually exchange my current house for a smaller condo loaded with luxury features. I don't care about spending a lot of money for ever more space, what I want is top notch construction quality, architectural details, marble counter tops and custom cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom, bathroom tiled floor to ceiling with high quality porcelain sink and tube, high quality fixtures, etc.

Ah!! Now you (like me) are someone who can appreciate a little luxury in life. :)

you had fun in the 60s, didn't you? hey, you could always put a houseboat on the big muddy.

just came back from taking a peek at a cheoy lee motorsailer, similar to one pictured. $200k and she'll take you around the world a few times. very tempting. if i had a partner my house would be up for sale and i'd be shopping for life jackets today. as a single guy it's gonna take more thought.

hard to judge the square footage. my first guess might be right or maybe just under 400 sf. two little heads with showers. three staterooms. two without full headroom over the bunks but the master is of decent size and not at all claustrophobic. enough windows in the pilothouse that natural light flows down into the galley/main salon. plenty of storage under decks and in bulkheads. even a washer/dryer unit hidden in solid teak cabinetry.

living small is a good exercise in efficiency. first thing i'd want to do in the galley would be install a deeper sink but investigating under the sink shows that a deeper sink would cut off a bunch of valuable storage space running back to the hull. so there's a lot of compromise but the payoffs can be enormous.

even if i don't do a boat soon i'd like to be in something smaller. i think i could be very happy vagabonding in studio apartments. for me, that's 5 extra rooms i won't have to clean.

Where do you keep the drum set?

At a friends house close by- we play there. I can't practice as much as I want to, but I couldn't in my apt anyway becasue of noise. I do practice on conga and doumbek (the North African belly dance drum)

Ha

Back
Top Bottom