I'm doomed. My doorbell rang tonight

We have 2 granddaughters selling them this year, so we'll buy 5 boxes from each one. They live pretty far away, so we'll pick them up sometime in the future. Just opened the last box of Thin Mints from last year, so we're not big cookie eaters.

Girl Scout Cookies are a long-time tradition, but I tend to agree with athena53 in post #32. Think the Girl Scouts should have branched out and started offering popcorn or all that fruity stuff Harry and David are always pushing around Christmas. Obesity is a real big problem in America, and the Girl Scouts aren't providing much of a solution.

When I was the age of the GS cookie sellers, I don't think anyone added that stuff to food. But they did serve green jello with all kinds of odd ingredients in it and called it salad.

DH is old enough (77) to remember when the Girl Scouts baked their own cookies to sell. I'm sure the quality varied wildly, but I like the "homemade" aspect!

Yes, they put some pretty weird stuff in jello in the 1950s and 1960s. There was one Web site devoted to awful recipes from that era and most contained jello. They sure had great marketing people.

Last year I was accosted outside the grocery store by the Girl Scouts. I purchased a case of Thin Mints in self defense.

Just say no. If you want to support the Girl Scouts, write 'em a check.

I try to watch what I eat but I also want to support the Girl Scouts. I just give them a donation.

With the exception of GS cookies we often try to do that. But it's not always that easy. With six grandkids we've seen it all and have always tried to support in some way. More and more often we're seeing those deals where you order online through a third party. Instead of paying $14 for two ounces of cashews that we don't need anyway, we look to see if they offer a "cash donation" pass-thru. Often they don't. And yes we can just donate directly to the school or whatever but then our grandkid misses out on getting the credit (for whatever that's worth.) So it's a case-by-case thing at our place.

As for the GS cookies, they know they can each count on us for a few boxes. And I hate to admit but off-season I've been known to very occasionally fall victim to the Thin Mint & Samoa knock-offs at Aldi.

Do the girl scouts a favor...go to walmart and buy the keebler cookies that taste exactly like girl scout cookies. I think walmart has their brand also...cheaper and also taste great.

Then when a girl scout comes to your door hand them a couple bucks and tell them to keep it. The GS get pennies on the box...its sad.

Oh, yummy. Corn syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, corn syrup solids, palm kernel oil, whey, soy lecithin... how come I never find these ingredients in the cookie recipes that DH and I enjoy baking? I can't get over the cult following GS cookies have when they're as loaded with artificial ingredients and preservatives as any other junk food in the grocery store aisles.

Just say no. If you want to support the Girl Scouts, write 'em a check.

This post inspired me to try making my own batch of thin mints. I don't why, but it never occurred to me before. So today, while watching the Super Bowl, I made a batch. Still need to wait for them to cool, but so far they look good and preliminary testing says they are also tasty.

Thanks Athena!

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1454903530.986557.jpg

Are they frosted? Recipe??

Dipped in semi-sweet chocolate. I used the following recipe: http://leitesculinaria.com/97036/recipes-homemade-thin-mints.html

I used regular all-purpose flour, butter, and less sugar (1/2 a cup).

I also tried cutting them instead of rolling out the dough, but that didn't work well. So I ended up hand forming them, which gets hard when the dough gets warm. Next time I'll roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter. This will give them a more consistent shape, unlike the batch I have.

I haven't tried them yet, but my wife tried them when I was dipping them in chocolate and said they were tasty. I'm waiting for them to cool down and the chocolate hardens.

Back
Top Bottom