in the market for new vacuum

Has anyone used a Miele or Riccar upright? Such as the Miele U1 or Riccar Supralite?

I have 2 older Riccar Supralite and love them. Lightweight, huge bag and good suction. Loud motor that some may not be able to handle and also aware the dirt does go thru the motor so no picking up coins or kids toys or you could break the fan. Would I buy another one? Absolutely.

I have 2 older Riccar Supralite and love them. Lightweight, huge bag and good suction. Loud motor that some may not be able to handle and also aware the dirt does go thru the motor so no picking up coins or kids toys or you could break the fan. Would I buy another one? Absolutely.

Really liked the RSL in the vacuum store but didn't notice how loud it was until I got it home. Definitely louder than the larger, heavier upright it's replacing. The direct air / fan damage risk isn't too concerning, especially given the relatively modest price of $350 that it cost. Trying to decide if we'll get used to the noise or if it'll be better to exchange it for something like the Sebo Felix or Miele U1 Cat and Dog. I suppose a Miele canister is an option, although the top-rated Marin is $1000. Any comments or thoughts on the noise front?

DW likes to get a new vac about every couple years, perhaps because we have two hairy dogs that refuse to stop shedding. We have a Dyson Animal Cordless and the bigger Ball upright model sitting in the basement. The Shark is our go-to right now because it has a plush roller in the beater bar system that dusts hardwood floors as you go along. It also has a headlight, which I find helpful as my eyesight has dimmed a bit.

The Dyson cordless stick no longer works because the battery died and Dyson wants $100 for a replacement. You can get a whole new vac for $200, but overall I found the performance disappointing. Perhaps the model that runs on line current is better.

Inevitably, I have to untangle the dog hair that gets wrapped around the beater bars. I've found the Shark to be easier to service than the Dysons.

All that said -- I volunteer at a dog training club where malamutes and golden retrievers are in vogue, and I often pitch in to clean. The upright they have is the Hoover Wind Tunnel. It's bagless, HEPA filtered, and basically does everything the Dyson and Shark does for less than $100. The machine gets worked hard, and has held up well except for the slightly fragile canister housing that we had to replace for $30. The cord is shorter than the one on the Dyson and Shark uprights, but it retracts -- a nice feature that eliminates the chore of wrapping up the cord after cleaning.

When I had a Golden...the only Vaccum the pet hair didn't destroy was a Shop Vac. We used to have to take a razor blade to the rollers to cut out all the dog hair. Don't miss that.

Less than $100 for us. Key is the Power. 12 amp motor minimum, 11amps is pushing it. We have a $75 Eureka, forgot where we got it, but it performs well and has done for over 5 years.

Disclaimer: We have no pets. we do dog sit on occasion and have had no issues.

$500 for a Vacuum cleaner is ludicrous IMHO.

Really liked the RSL in the vacuum store but didn't notice how loud it was until I got it home. Definitely louder than the larger, heavier upright it's replacing. The direct air / fan damage risk isn't too concerning, especially given the relatively modest price of $350 that it cost. Trying to decide if we'll get used to the noise or if it'll be better to exchange it for something like the Sebo Felix or Miele U1 Cat and Dog. I suppose a Miele canister is an option, although the top-rated Marin is $1000. Any comments or thoughts on the noise front?
I don't really notice it at all. When I do it's usually a full bag or I suspect a clog in the tube. I remove the bag and if there is any clog in there it blows it right out when I turn the motor on without a bag. I think the motor runs at 6000rpm but my vacs are older, ten years old or so.

Less than $100 for us. Key is the Power. 12 amp motor minimum, 11amps is pushing it. We have a $75 Eureka, forgot where we got it, but it performs well and has done for over 5 years.

Disclaimer: We have no pets. we do dog sit on occasion and have had no issues.

The Hoover Wind Tunnel has a 12-amp motor. This is an a$$-kicking machine for the price.

Shark Navigator gets my vote too.

It does seem to have a following on this board at least.:)

We're recently in the market for a new vacuum cleaner. We have two Oreck uprights (one was bought for DW's father's house when she was helping him out) and I loathe them. I think they're overpriced worthless junk but DW likes them because they're lightweight, which I'll grant, but it is their only worthwhile characteristic.

We're in the market for something different because she and I are both developing back issues (this is taking togetherness a bit far but that's another topic) and pushing the Orecks on the carpeted areas is literally a pain.

"WE" are in the market because heretofore DW has been in charge of vacuuming; to hear her tell it my style of housekeeping is to kick the dirt around until it gets lost, but I'm really not that bad. I think.:angel: But given the back pain issues it is clear that I am going to be doing much more of the vacuuming chores, which I really don't mind doing. But I hate those Orecks, and as mentioned they're a pain to use.

One thing that DW is emphatic about is that she does NOT want a bagless type since in her view that creates a mess where none existed before in the vicinity of the emptying. Alas, it seems the Shark Navigator is of that type.:(

I've seen the comments about the Miele brand, but I have to agree with ShockWaveRider that $500+ for a vacuum cleaner is absurd, and I won't pay it. The thing just is not that complicated, hard to make, or demands that level of precision. We're not launching the Space Shuttle here. We're just trying to suck up dirt off the floor.

Given those criteria, any suggestions?

The Hoover Wind Tunnel has a 12-amp motor. This is an a$$-kicking machine for the price.

Yep, we've got the Hoover Wind Tunnel. Prior to that we had a Eureka 4670. They both have 12 amp motors. Eureka lasted 15 years, finally died when the wife used it to vacuum wet carpeting in the garage. Parts for the Eureka were cheap and readily available.

Now on 5th year of the Hoover. The only down side is the 12 amp motors in these things are HEAVY. But big motors is what gets you the superior suction power.

Ditto on the Shark Navigator. We got it at Costco. The dirt tank cracked about 10 months in and I called and they sent a new one out, no charge. 4 years later and it still sucks, in a good way. :)

Still sucks, eh? Well done....

But 1+ to Shark. Own one, plus a Dyson. Both are exceptional.

We don’t have any carpet (rugs only) so we went with a Costco Miele about a year ago. Very happy. Too bad they don’t sell them today.

Issue with standard vacuum’s is the motor that runs the brush is the same motor that runs suction. If you stop the brush (for tile or while using the wand) most just pinch that belt stopped with the motor spinning and eventually burning through the belt.

Those vacuums either don’t have enough suction to lift dirt without the brush (motor power or suction head designed for bristles) or are so loud and unpleasant.

We enjoy the option of adjusting suction/noise when babies are sleeping. Older people living alone (maybe hard of hearing?) probably won’t have that same priority. A shop vac would work but would be very loud (earplugs in a small space).

After logging off here yesterday I spent a couple of hours researching upright bag-type vacuum cleaners and we settled on the Hoover Commercial Hushtone, $290 at Amazon, plus some extra bags and belts. It has generally good reviews and I found two reviews on youtube, one of which was actually useful, so decided to see how this works out. Amazon's easy return policy was a factor in this choice. I rarely return stuff and don't like doing that unless the item is actually broken or wholly unlike the description, but I can make an exception if this thing is horribly noisy.

I tried hard to find a self-propelled one but it seems the last one made, also by Hoover, went out of production last year and is nowhere to be found now. Decades ago I had a Hoover Concept One vacuum that was great except it was very noisy and needed new belts every six months to a year. Oh, and the little headlights burned out quickly but since neither one of us vacuums in the dark it didn't matter to us. But the self propelled feature negated the issue of it being very heavy, except of course when taking up or down stairs. Oh well, hopefully they'll reintroduce one like it.

Question for the engineers: Why are vacuum cleaners almost invariably so noisy? They're not a new invention, and I think the first Hoover vac was introduced nearly a century ago so one would think they'd have that part nailed by now, but clearly that hasn't happened. Is a bit of soundproofing and using a squirrel cage fan really that much more expensive? There must be some reason for all the racket.

Another vote for Miele, worth the price, it will outlast the lower priced ones. My housecleaner owns a Sebo.

Well, our Dyson V6 cordless quit working, but it's under a 2 year warranty and they're proactive trying to diagnose the problem online. They're sending me a new battery. In the meantime, we really miss it in our 75% hardwood home.

We're using an Oreck upright--cheap and simple to deal with. We also have a Singer canister vacuum that is not so easy to push around. But everyone needs at least one vacuum with a hose. I also have wet/dry shop vacuums I use in my shop to get up the piles when we clean with a broom.

I definitely recommend checking out the Riccar Supralite, although it IS very noisy (see my upcoming post in this thread). It is crazy light weight but cleans carpet and hardwood great. Although I don't think it's technically self-propelled (ie, there isn't a motor driving the wheels), the brush/suction are so strong that on carpet, it pulls itself forward quite powerfully.

After logging off here yesterday I spent a couple of hours researching upright bag-type vacuum cleaners and we settled on the Hoover Commercial Hushtone, $290 at Amazon, plus some extra bags and belts. It has generally good reviews and I found two reviews on youtube, one of which was actually useful, so decided to see how this works out. Amazon's easy return policy was a factor in this choice. I rarely return stuff and don't like doing that unless the item is actually broken or wholly unlike the description, but I can make an exception if this thing is horribly noisy.

I tried hard to find a self-propelled one but it seems the last one made, also by Hoover, went out of production last year and is nowhere to be found now. Decades ago I had a Hoover Concept One vacuum that was great except it was very noisy and needed new belts every six months to a year. Oh, and the little headlights burned out quickly but since neither one of us vacuums in the dark it didn't matter to us. But the self propelled feature negated the issue of it being very heavy, except of course when taking up or down stairs. Oh well, hopefully they'll reintroduce one like it.

Question for the engineers: Why are vacuum cleaners almost invariably so noisy? They're not a new invention, and I think the first Hoover vac was introduced nearly a century ago so one would think they'd have that part nailed by now, but clearly that hasn't happened. Is a bit of soundproofing and using a squirrel cage fan really that much more expensive? There must be some reason for all the racket.

Being somewhat of a data nerd, I broke out the trusty Radio Shack sound level meter. All measurements were taken using A weighting with quick response and the meter at my waist.

The Riccar Supralite showed 84-86 decibels while on high (carpet) moving on lowish-pile carpet. It was 85-88 dB at low (bare) moving on wood floors. Also, the quality of sound is not great to my ear. It is higher-pitched, whiny and variable.

I decided to try a Miele U1 (upright) and it's MUCH better. 74-75 dB on carpet and 75-77 dB on hard wood. It is a better quality of sound too -- more of a lower-pitched and continuous hum.

The new Hoover Commercial Hushtone arrived today, a day earlier than promised. The delivery guy was driving an SUV and not a truck, clearly a seasonal employee/contractor.

Initial impressions are generally good. It is much quieter than the two Orecks we have been using and (this is the important part) it is much easier to push on the carpet. It also seems to clean well. One of the youtube reviews included sound measurements and it was in the middle of the pack, I don't remember the exact numbers, although that review also said the tested Oreck was significantly noisier. Although somewhat quieter at the lower speed it is not significantly so, so my thought is that is mere marketing hype and just run it on high. All that said, we'll keep it.

Back
Top Bottom