Introduce yourself here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
rluetgenau I am aware of that kind of program with State Parks in the west.  The challange would be coordinating the assignments. Yakers comment about CA is also true for OR and WA.

OPM has a program for employees planning retirement in the next year, ask your personnel office to sign you and your spouse up.  While most on the board talk about the financial aspects of retirement, the impact on your personal life can be huge.  There are significant territorial issues, for one.

Yakers, that is one other thing I dont have any college expenses, my daughter graduated from college last May and was also married last May.  So all the big stuff is out of the way.  That was a double wammy in one month, but it is all paid for now.  There is a web site for Workamping at, WWW.workamping.com.  No endorsement and I have no affiliations with them except I do get their newsletter. Good luck to you when you pull the plug, I am leaning more and more in that direction. I am thinking about Sept 3, Sept 30 or at the latest 3 Jan 06.

Hi,
My wife and I are new to the sight.  I'm a battered veteren of the deregulated airline industry.  I still love the flying, but security hassles, ingrate thieving management types and ever more odious schedules make me long for my independence. :p
Maybe with the help of the various calculators I can get a handle on the possibility of ER. :D
Anyway, we're off to the Tx hill country to look around this weekend with some old friends from Chicago.  Although, I think I would prefer Arkansas.  We'll see.

Wow, what a site... I quit my civil service job last year, just 2 years short of 'official' retirement, moved to Florida, and I haven't looked back !! I was also a 30-year AF Reservist (won't get $$ until age 60), and I won't get civ svc retirement for 2 more years, but GUESS WHAT :confused: I have absolutely NO REGRETS !!

Just yesterday I was deciding how to get around the 10% penalty for early withdrawal from my TSP, and voila! I found this site, and the calculator helped me decide which of the SEPP types to choose.

Also, I have found a great way to make a few extra bucks... substitute teaching. And in the Florida educational system they don't do Social Security taxes, they have a thing called FICA alternative, which is essentially a 401(k) kinda thing, and even substitutes are automatically enrolled. Subbing is a great way to keep busy, make a few extra bucks, and meet some great people. Plus, I find out a few things about my teenaged daughter that she might never volunteer to tell me, lol.

I am pleased to find this site ! And I want to say that life is good... every day is a gift. It's NOT about the money. I went from workaholic $90K a year last year to qualifying for the Earned Income Credit in the span of one tax year and the past year has been the BEST ONE of my life.

Greetings to all... from Jill :D

Hey, welcome alterego!

I'd love to hear a few $$ details as to how you are making this all work.  I'm civil service as well, and signed up for an early retirement effective in September.  The pension is not quite what I would like to live on (providing I stay in this high cost of living area), but I'm nervous that I might not get another chance for another 8 years.  I'm just at a point in my career where I have "seen it all before," and I would like a change.  A major change.

Was the move to Florida part of what makes it all work financially?

tozz

alterego said:
Just yesterday I was deciding how to get around the 10% penalty for early withdrawal from my TSP, and voila!
Welcome to the board, Jill! Sounds like you "get it".

My spouse is a Navy Reservist with about $8K in the TSP. When she retires we'll eventually have to draw that down, but it's small enough that I'd be willing to leave it in the TSP (at a 0.10% ER) and not bother with a Roth conversion.

Where did you find out the TSP withdrawal rules-- is that on the TSP website, or is there a better reference?

Welcome Jill and yes, some most of these guys are brilliant. If they don't know, they know somebody who does know. Use their expertise, cause they do not mind. I have a couple of friends who sub-teach here in Texas. I think local school board will pay $70/day to sub with no experience and it goes up over a $100 if you have it. Only if I get desperate for loot. No patience, thank you very much.

OK, here I am.  I've been lurking for a while, and I'm fascinated by the discussions!  Hubby (52) has retired, then got another job, then quit that job to go back to his original company for 6 months and is back to being retired again.  I (50) am planning (carefully!) to work for 2 more years where I am.  I love my job but the commute is lousy, and I just want to have more time to do what I want.  I am planning to work part time no matter what, as I love the social part of working, but I also want to do some volunteer work.  We've planned and saved pretty carefully to get to where we are.  Not having kids sure helps.  ;)

I really appreciate all the insights you all have, and so many of the discussions hit close to home.  So I thought I'd jump in.  Thanks!

CJ

I will be on the retirement payroll Aug 1/05. At this point I am not sure if I am happy or sad.

starwarrior said:
I will be on the retirement payroll Aug 1/05. At this point I am not sure if I am happy or sad.

That's a heck of a sad (or happy) way to introduce yourself. Starwarrior, the retirement doctor(s) are in. Please lie down on the couch and tell us about it... :)

REW

starwarrior said:

You're probably in shock. :D

After working for a lot of years, you may no longer be able to recognize the emotion sometimes called "happy".

You're happy.

Well, I have been lurking for a few months. I am a retired municipal civil servant and retired after 27 years 4 months and 10 days at age 46. The misses retired from teaching a year later. That was nearly 16 years ago so if you do the math that brings me out to age 62 and the beginning of SS. Having a tough time deciding if I want to invest the SS or use some of it to pay down my mortgage. :confused:

Really enjoy reading all the posts and learning new ideas. Keep up the good work and thanks for all the informative postings.

Ed

hola, ok i dont speak spannish vary good.but looks like ill have the time to learn more.just like the rest of you.im close,but still have about a year to go.i just signed up today.hope to get to know others better.i have lots of questions.i hope some one can help with some good advice.until later,bye everyone

Hey everyone

I am planning on retiring next May at age 64. Was planning on retiring in January but some work situations came up and was asked to stay on for a while longer.

Have some tax questions on SS and earned income when not at the full retirement age. Will post in an appropriate category.

Bill

I have been posting here a little while but have been familiar with this site for awhile.

I am a 32-year-old environmental engineer from Wisconsin. I am planning on a possible early retirement at 40-45 depending on what comes up and if I get married (maybe retire sooner if married.  ;))I am an active saver and investor and LBYM. The LBYM was taught growing up in a cash strapped family (learned how to garden and find interesting reuses for dryer sheets :LOL: Even though we had very little "cash resources", I had a good education. I guess that the LBYM was just taught from childhood and consider "wasting resources" to be very foolish.

My optimum is to be finacial independent in my 40s so that I can work part time in something that interests me or just buy some run down properties and remodel for fun.

I invest in index funds when mutual funds are nec. and use several dividend reinvestment plans. in my taxable investments. I suspect that my investing is 20-25% of my income (and think dollar cost averaging is the way to go and buy a little more on dips in my drips. I have learned to be a good contrarian.

I will easily have my house paid off in the 40-45 range. I read the millionaire next door and find this describes me.

We went foreign. Make money on long-term currency fluctuations. No house though. I watch all you guys with your 20% per year rising house values and turn green. Oh well. Someday we'll come back then plop our fortune on a house, then start all over.

Yves

Please start a NEW thread (not in this thread) when introducing yourself - ensures we all meet you!
Dory; why not freeze this thread so new posters get their day in the sun with a NEW thread each?
Cheers!

Hi everybody , my name is Arturo , I was kinda forced into an early retirement by a construction accident at age 47. Sorry , no huge settlement here. I'm 58 now. I lived in Mexico for several years until Mexico became sooo expensive. (thanks NAFTA)My wife ,Maria Elena and I live in southwestern New Mexico now, not far from Silver City. At almost 6000ft elevation the weather is almost perfect and the cost of living is quite reasonable. Just happened upon your site and was real impressed by it . Hope to contribute something over time.

What part of Wisconsin? My wife's family is around Tomah and Wasa (sp?).

I am in rice lake area, about 2 hours east of twin cities (st. paul /minn.)

maddythebeagle said:
What part of Wisconsin? My wife's family is around Tomah and Wasa (sp?).

I am in rice lake area, about 2 hours east of twin cities (st. paul /minn.)

Maddy, is that Rick Lake along highway 53? Know the area well and have relatives in Ladysmith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom