iPad issue

aja8888

Moderator Emeritus
Disclaimer: First of all, I am an Android person and have no history with Apple products.

Now that we have that out of the way, DW has an iPad Air 2 (older generation) that is maybe 4 years old. She uses it every day so it has gotten plenty of use.

Recently, any photos on the device are "washed out" looking like half the colors are gone. This is either a saved photo or one on Facebook where she resides most of the time :)().

Question I have relates to: is the machine dying? Is there a setting to fix this (we have looked and anything we find related to the display has not helped)?

If the machine is done in, what may be the best "affordable" replacement and is a refurbished one (are they available?) a possible good solution?

If a new one needs to be bought, where's the best deal?

Thanks!:cool:

Is the issue limited to photos or does it also happen to web images while browsing?

Hmmm - sounds like a hardware failure to me because I’ve never seen such a thing on an iPad or iPhone. Is there an Apple Store nearby that she can show someone the problem?

Hmmm - sounds like a hardware failure to me because I’ve never seen such a thing on an iPad or iPhone. Is there an Apple Store nearby that she can show someone the problem?

There's one in our Mall. Maybe I'll take it there Monday as today it will be packed with people.

You probably have an Apple Store within driving distance, so make an appointment for service.
https://support.apple.com/ipad

They have all the sophisticated testing equipment there and will quickly be able to tell what the problem is (and fix it).

Personally, I would be ready to replace a 4 year old iPad, but if they can fix it for a fraction of the price, I see no reason you shouldn't expect at least a couple more years from it.

Here's a photo of what the problem is (web image):

test.jpg

I don’t know if you can get into that state from screen settings as I have never seen such a thing. But perhaps the screen or screen electronics are failing.

DH suggests rebooting the iPad.

Last edited:
I don’t know if you can get into that state from screen settings as I have never seen such a thing. But perhaps the screen or screen electronics are failing.

We have messed with the screen settings and nothing changes except I can make it brighter or darker. My feeling is that the iPAd is about to die.

Looks like a hardware issue, but you might power down the device and reboot it. Doubt it will help, but that is the first thing they will do at the store anyway. While you are at it, might make sure it has the latest OS version installed as well. (But all of that will probably not help - this looks like a display driver IC issue).

The couple of times I have needed help over the years, the people at the Apple store have been most helpful, so that is your best shot. Make an appointment to avoid waiting around the store for someone to be available.

Looks like a hardware issue, but you might power down the device and reboot it. Doubt it will help, but that is the first thing they will do at the store anyway. While you are at it, might make sure it has the latest OS version installed as well. (But all of that will probably not help - this looks like a display driver IC issue).

The couple of times I have needed help over the years, the people at the Apple store have been most helpful, so that is your best shot. Make an appointment to avoid waiting around the store for someone to be available.

Thanks, we have tried re-powering and updating the OS to no avail. We will make an appointment at the local Apple store.

Yep, that’s all you can do at this point. Plus back it up if you haven’t already.

Back
Top Bottom