IRA rollover

Golfguy1455

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am a recently retired, 47 Years old, with a question about rolling over $1.2M 401k. My brokerage rep has been asking me about it. Should I do it? if so, when and how?

My current thinking is to roll over the 401k into Traditional (pre tax) and Roth IRA (post tax) after I establish residency in Florida in 2020. I would have a tax exposure with the roth rollover portion as my current post tax gain is $200k. If not for the Roth opportunity, my initial thinking is to leave as is and not roll it over. The fund has low expenses and great performance.

Portfolio Overview totals about $3M (ex real estate) which is roughly 50/50 between taxable and retirement:

Retirement Accounts
a) 401K totals $1.2M with 100% allocated to T Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth fund. Out of the total balance, $0.35M is post tax ($0.15M contr. / $0.2M gains).
b) Roth IRA totals $0.15M.
c) Defined pension totals $50k/yr at age 65 with no COLA. The present value is likely in the $0.3M range
d) Social Security - intending to wait until 70 assuming I am healthy. This may kick in about $25K/yr, but that is just a guess.

Taxable Accounts
The various accounts total $1.2M in mutual funds (aggressive growth) and $0.3M in stock.
My house is valued at $0.5M with about 50% equity.

My annual expenses will total about $90K/yr including healthcare, taxes, etc.

My general bias is to be aggressive with my portfolio.

I don't have any children

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom