Ireland or Scotland Camino

tmitchell

Recycles dryer sheets
I did a two week camino in N Spain before I pulled the trigger on RE. Really had a great time.

Now starting to research another walk. Any experiences in Ireland or Scotland? I know the weather won’t be quite as nice but love the cultures.

These will give you some good ideas.

One that has been on my "one of these days" list is the Great Glen Way, from Fort William to Inverness. But there are many great walks in the UK.

We walked the Dingle/Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland. If you don’t mind walking in lots of sheep dodo and getting rained on often, I highly recommend it. Some of the best hikes we’ve done.

Attachments

• B9EA04F6-F7C7-4D14-B483-CC7760C088E9.jpg
    B9EA04F6-F7C7-4D14-B483-CC7760C088E9.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 36
My wife’s sister did the West Highland Way not long ago. Along with a group of 6 other walkers they did the 96 miles in 8 days. (Glasgow to Fort William) She then spent an extra night in Fort William to meet her son who had just run it within 24 hours. Both he and his brother are ultra marathon runners. A few years ago he ran the Cleveland Way, 110 miles, and we met him and waved him on as he passed through our town.

https://www.westhighlandway.org/getting-started/getting-to-from-the-route/

We walked the Dingle/Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland. If you don’t mind walking in lots of sheep dodo and getting rained on often, I highly recommend it. Some of the best hikes we’ve done.

Looks beautiful thanks. Will check it out.

DW & I have done the Kerry Way in Ireland and the West Highland Way in Scotland. They were both wonderful. The descriptions above sound pretty accurate to me.

What month did you go?

What month did you go?

Early September.
If you hike/walk in Ireland I cannot stress enough the need for good Gore-Tex or waterproof boots. We saw people on the trail with tall rubber boots. The soil never really dries out. Every step has a squish to it. Along with good rain gear and a sombrero like Gore-Tex rain hat. A rain fly on your pack too.

Attachments

• 9C1C3B92-306C-4426-89C4-168BAA870F74.jpg
    9C1C3B92-306C-4426-89C4-168BAA870F74.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 18
My wife’s sister did the West Highland Way not long ago. Along with a group of 6 other walkers they did the 96 miles in 8 days. (Glasgow to Fort William) She then spent an extra night in Fort William to meet her son who had just run it within 24 hours. Both he and his brother are ultra marathon runners. A few years ago he ran the Cleveland Way, 110 miles, and we met him and waved him on as he passed through our town.

https://www.westhighlandway.org/getting-started/getting-to-from-the-route/

I have walked the west highland way. It’s great. The highlands and lochs are really beautiful. Its likely to have some rain at some point, So , as mentioned , you want a good rain shell with armpit vents etc. And good footwear for that. Gaiters are good to have also. The rain fly on your pack you definitely want. a lot of the route is not “squishy” because it uses old “military roads” for sections, which are not really auto roads more like something you could ride an atv on. They were used by the British way back when to chase around after the pesky natives, with little success. They are gravelly or packed enough dirt wise to not be boggy. There will be sections that you might get some squishy conditions. I would not go for tall rubber boots unless they where made for hiking. You want stable foot ware. Gaiters will provide most of what you’d get from rubber boots if you have goretex water proof/resistant shoes. I wouldn’t do leather unless you have them and you know they work well in wet conditions. I used an organized tour group HF holidays and it was well worth it. Infinitely less trouble and more fun than doing it yourself

Last edited:
Another idea I just remembered. In case you might like to try "something completely different" as John Cleese used to put it.

The Old Forge is the most remote pub in the UK, and there are no roads leading to it. You can only get there by a 7 mile sea crossing or by an 18 mile cross country hike.

I was there in 2018, although I took the easier sea route. There is a wonderful sense of community in the small town and I was immediately made to feel welcome.

Currently being refurbished, but should be open again this Spring.

Attachments

• of1.jpg
    of1.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 11
  • of2.jpg
    of2.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the advice all. Gear recommendations are awesome. I'm thinking of going in June, but will expect rain whenever :).

@Braumeister that's a cool pub! Hard to choose between Ireland & Scotland...

We walked the West Highland Way in 8 days last May and loved it. Used Mac's Adventures to book our accommodations and transport our luggage from place to place. Have to admit that our longest day at almost 20 miles from Balmaha to Ardlui along Loch Lomond was kind of tough. The Devil's Staircase wasn't as hard as we anticipated but we did it in a driving rain. Don't skimp on the rain gear.

Looks like a great way to see the countryside. Where do you spend the night on these multi day trips? Camping, lodging, etc ?

Looks like a great way to see the countryside. Where do you spend the night on these multi day trips? Camping, lodging, etc ?

Lodging. I don’t recall doing a twenty mile leg on the one I did. So just scrutinize the itinerary mileage. Sometimes tours skip a night and have a longer leg. They should have a van that transports your stuff between lodges so you just need a daypack which is way more enjoyable than schepping a big pack. Find a different provider if they don’t have that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom