Mens travel clothing??

+1 for pants from Clothing arts. The zippered pockets are extremely comforting. The fabric is fairly wrinkle free and looks like regular khaki slacks (no cuffs).

There used to be something called the Columbia sportswear adventure II that were darn near perfect but are of course thus made no longer.

I also just get polyester pants that look okay from Costco and have a tailor extend the pockets two or three inches deeper so that I don't have to worry about stuff falling out.

For warm weather, I usually just use some of those Dri-FIT shirts you can get at academy for $10.

And if someone else said, rolling is the way to go.

Last edited:
We travel anywhere from 30 day to 75 days at time internationally about 2 to 3 times a year. In addition we travel a few times a year domestically for about 2 weeks. We have been doing so since 2016 with the exception of 2020! We always pack carry-on only with a weeks worth of clothes. Two things: (1) pack clothes that you are comfortable wearing and (2) there are laundries both coin operated or drop off where you can get your clothes cleaned. You are traveling, not moving. Guess what the locals are going to know that you are a tourist any way regardless of what you are wearing.

Our travel regime is the same.

We pack the same way. Does not matter if it is 7 days or 9 weeks. All the same to us. Carry on only since retiring 12 years ago. Prior to that...years of business travel with carry on only.

Anyone trying to look/dress like a local in a foreign country IMHO is fooling themselves and wasting their time shopping!

We buy travel clothing based on the quality of the garment, weight, and easy care. A fair amount of Costco Kirkland brand product for that reason.

Last edited:
Wow - lots of good brand name suggestions: REI, Eddie Bauer, Kuhl, Columbia, Western Rise ,Wool & Price, Unbound, Clothing Arts, Rohan and of course the mighty Costco. Psyched about the Costco thing - it's close by and we are members. Liking the Merino wool suggestion as well. Thx!

OK - let me ask another one: Suggestions for a good travel sports coat ? I knew Orvis had a travel coat but it isn't on the web site anymore.

I found a cashmere/merino-wool sweater at Costco that is very warm and just needs a water and wind proof shell over it. I have three short sleeve shirts that dry over night. My big problem is getting pants that I can wash and will dry overnight. I do not like 100% polyester or other man-made fabrics. They feel weird to me.

You might look at this website for interesting pants with lots of storage but are not cargo pants and better yet don’t look like them. Besides you never know when you will have to fight or claw your way out of danger. :)

https://www.511tactical.com/

I agree that with patience you can assemble a nice travel wardrobe using Costco, and then filling in any missing items with the sale rack at places like REI.

Has anybody tried the wool t-shirts and underwear that we can supposedly wear for weeks without laundering and it still looks great and doesn’t smell? I am skeptical.

I am a camper who ‘boondocks’ in primitive sites. I have two wool Tshirts that I rotate (one Smartwool and one Wool & Prince- check the wool content because some brands cut corners to make more profit). These shirts are the best for travel. Unlike tech fabrics, you can wear them for days and they won’t stink. I have only worn them 5 days before washing, but that’s because I had other stuff to wash, not because of stink. They dry fairly well, but if it’s not warm they will be damp in the morning, so it’s good to take two shirts. Wool & Prince also makes a wool dress shirt for men (they have Tshirts for women on their sister site but I don’t recall the name)

... You might look at this website for interesting pants with lots of storage but are not cargo pants and better yet don’t look like them. ...
I've been wearing 511 and similar pants for years, though I have no aversion to cargo pockets.

https://www.galls.com/ is a first responder supply place that has 511 on sale right now for 20% off. They also stock similar brands, so much more choice.

https://lapolicegear.com/ is a similar site with maybe less bias towards hardware and more towards clothes.

Suggestions for a good travel sports coat ? I knew Orvis had a travel coat but it isn't on the web site anymore.

You might look at Magellans and/or Travelsmith for that. Both owned by the same outfit but often different items.

I think you’re taking too much. I know because I did the exact same thing. I’m now 78. When I got remarried 16 years ago, my wife and I were lucky enough to pool our resources , and we have taken three trips overseas every year for all 16 years. Plus some assorted stuff domestically.
We are very lucky to have been able to do so and I had a blast. I have boiled it down to usually getting by traveling with a backpack only. Yup.
It’s a big one but it’s a backpack. for at least a week on a backpack only. (Longer times, a small roll on bag. )
I take two pairs of jeans, a pair of shorts, Several T-shirts, a couple of decent shirts that I can make work in several situations, underwear, socks, etc. We get by with the basics only. And I take stuff in the shower and wash it when I need to. I overpacked for at least 10 years until I finally saw the light. If you wash it, you don’t need so much. YMMV

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom