Mens travel clothing??

Flyfish1

Recycles dryer sheets
OK - I'm finally retired and booked two trips already : Australia/NZ and 6 months later Scotland / England, both with Tauck - with a detour afterwards to Oktoberfest!!

Anyways, now that some of the dust has settled from retiring a few weeks ago - I realized all of my clothes are the very wrinkly cotton type of things and quite out dated. Searching around there are a billion companies advertising travel clothing. Also , I don't want to look like the tourist in the khaki/cargo pants with 24 pockets... I need trousers , sport coat, some shirts, etc

So, any suggestions or favorite brands amongst the gentlemen travelers out there ?

We have been traveling fairly extensively for the past 13 years. Since retiring we only travel with carry on. One week or two months. Our first post retirement trip was 7 months....we each did carry on only. Partly because of where and how we travel and partly because we only take what we can each physically handle in any situation. We do not want to have to depend on others...sometimes that help is simply not available. Not for everyone but it works for us.

Now we only buy travel friendly clothing. I have shopped at the travel stores. So far, the very best travel shirts that I have had in terms of weight, no wrinkle, and easy wash have been purchased at, believe it or not, Costco!

We sometimes pick up last minute cruises but I do not travel with a sports coat.
I travel with a cotton sweater and a waterproof wind jacket. Everything is layered. Two pairs of shoes. The comfortable walking shoes on my feet and a pair of very basic, lightweight Teva waterproof sandals.

Roll clothes up rather than folding them. They pack up smaller and come out with less wrinkles.

I know you said you don't want khaki/cargo type pants but my husband loves convertible pants--the ones that zip off to turn into shorts. We left the US in winter and he wore the pants long and when we arrived in NZ it was summer and he zipped them off in the airport. very versatile. His favorite brand is REI Sahara.

A lot of times travel clothing looks like travel clothing.
I’ve had good luck with shirts made from Tencel. It looks and breathes like cotton, but doesn’t wrinkle. I pack easy wash base garments, some Frebreze and plan to wear shirts multiple times changing the base daily. I pack what I wear at home so I look like me and not some tourist and include some comfy stuff from brands like Viori and Carbon 2 Cobalt.

Agree, a lot of those travel clothes look just that, travel clothes. Especially those zip off pants which most people probably roll an eye at not to mention they scream tourist. They also tend to be worn by older men. Not something most of us newer retirees want to hear!

Nothing wrong with buying some new clothes but in reality most people in foreign countries dress just like Americans these days, including the same brands. In all my many foreign trips I don't think I look any different than anyone else clothes wise. I do agree that people in many foreign counties dress a little sharper than us though. I do try to dress appropriately for where I go though.

I just don't wear anything that screams USA like so many people do. Seems tacky not to mention it draws attention when you might not want it.

Roll clothes up rather than folding them. They pack up smaller and come out with less wrinkles.

IF they wrinkle, hang them in the hotel bathroom and turn on the shower hot water. Wrinkles relax and your clothes look freshly ironed.

One other suggestion. Carry on, only. Wait until you arrive and then buy local. Ship home/buy suitcase if you can't part with them or don't want to donate, etc.

Oh and I like a previous suggestion to wear clothes more than once. Outer wear, worn to events that don't make you sweat should be okay for multiple wears. You'll know if they are not fresh enough.

Check out Duluth Trading. I have found their "expedition" line very well made and comfortable. Took both long and cargo shorts on last trip and will be ordering more for Sept trip to Med. My cargo shorts have 8 pockets including 2 front pockets with zippers.
Not inexpensive but you do get quality

Another carry-on only couple here (unless we are diving...). For shirts, smart wool and tech fabrics (outdoor research for me) are your choice for everyday and hiking wear.

I used to wear prana pants with zip off legs, but have switched to a cheap Amazon knockoff that looks much nicer for Michelin starred restaurants, has slightly larger cargo pockets, and is lighter weight (I run hot). If room in the bag, I'll occasionally take a pair of black or tan linen pants that also dress up nicely.

Collared shirts are easy; a couple of them go a long way and if I'm wearing a jacket, don't even need long sleeves unless the hikes or varmint protection require it.

Shoes can be an issue. If a hiking trip, I'll wear hiking boots on the flights, and include dress shoes and flip flops in the bag. If not a hiking trip, it is easier.

I wear a linen jacket on the flights to our destinations, then pack it away until DW thinks it is needed.

Carry-on worked for a 2.5 month trip that ranged from Easter island to Antarctica to extensive hiking in Patagonia--and fancy restaurants in Buenos Aires, montevideo, and Santiago. So too, for a three week Italian trip that included a black tie wedding. (Tuxedos actually pack well!)

Make sure to bring a silicon drain stopper and a couple of clothes lines so that you can do the vast majority of your laundry in your room when needed!

My husband is a big fan of the Columbia button down shirts... both the PFG and the Omnishield. They are light weight, can be washed in a sink, and dry quickly.

Agree with Brett on the one pair of good walking shoes, and one pair of tevas sandals.
Agree also with carry on only. Pack a few pairs of pants, double the number of shirts, and layered outerwear. (We did a spring trip in Italy with a just light pullovers and windbreakers... layering worked.)

If you're worried about doing laundry - look into the laundry sheets - makes it super easy to do laundry in a sink.

REI is a pretty good brick and mortar option. Once you're schooled, you can switch to Amazon, but there's nothing like touching and trying-on stuff.

As to "you'll know it if it's not fresh", I'm not sure that's universally true. There were comments on a cruise travel forum to avoid the elevator if you see people with "travel clothes", LOL! But these are probably the people that travel with two, fifty pound monsters a piece. I went for 5 weeks with a 22" roller and a personal item backpack, but had a ukulele, Britta pitcher, binoculars and a coat in another suitcase, all of which I planned to abandon. I ended up bringing the uke home because I realized my airline ticket included two checked bags (I checked the roller on the way home). As much as I like having all my stuff in a carry-on, it's a pain to lug in a place as huge as Heathrow.

I really like the lightweight clothing from outdoor research (their ferrosi pants and shirts). It can be pricey, but lasts a long time. I second sengsational's REI recommendation - I enjoy browsing their clothing racks and always stop in when I'm close by their local store. I really like to try on clothes before I buy. Having said that I often buy shoes/sandals/boots from their online site (free shipping) because its so easy to make returns at their local retail store.

I found a cashmere/merino-wool sweater at Costco that is very warm and just needs a water and wind proof shell over it. I have three short sleeve shirts that dry over night. My big problem is getting pants that I can wash and will dry overnight. I do not like 100% polyester or other man-made fabrics. They feel weird to me.

You might look at this website for interesting pants with lots of storage but are not cargo pants and better yet don’t look like them. Besides you never know when you will have to fight or claw your way out of danger. :)

https://www.511tactical.com/

I agree that with patience you can assemble a nice travel wardrobe using Costco, and then filling in any missing items with the sale rack at places like REI.

Has anybody tried the wool t-shirts and underwear that we can supposedly wear for weeks without laundering and it still looks great and doesn’t smell? I am skeptical.

All good suggestions - closest REI is an hour away, but EMS is 10 minutes, may check their first as well as Costco - since I am a member and it's another great excuse to go to Costco!

Forgot I had a couple of pants from Rohan, a UK company, they don't fit anymore ...due to Costco most likely...lol. But, they were great , non wrinkle travel pants that had a nice concealed security pocket and looked like normal nice pants.

I found a cashmere/merino-wool sweater at Costco that is very warm and just needs a water and wind proof shell over it. I have three short sleeve shirts that dry over night. My big problem is getting pants that I can wash and will dry overnight. I do not like 100% polyester or other man-made fabrics. They feel weird to me.

You might look at this website for interesting pants with lots of storage but are not cargo pants and better yet don’t look like them. Besides you never know when you will have to fight or claw your way out of danger. :)

https://www.511tactical.com/

I agree that with patience you can assemble a nice travel wardrobe using Costco, and then filling in any missing items with the sale rack at places like REI.

Has anybody tried the wool t-shirts and underwear that we can supposedly wear for weeks without laundering and it still looks great and doesn’t smell? I am skeptical.
I have merino wool base layers I use for cycling and they do not retain odors.

I bought some (expensive) wool t-shirts. Can't wear them, they itch to much. I suspect it's just me since they seem to be popular

For travel shorts, and indeed everyday shorts, I wear Kuhl Renegades. They come in three inseam lengths; 8", 10" & 12". I'm tall so I like the 12" length. Yes, they're cargo shorts, but the cargo pockets are hidden with a zipper that runs along the outside seam so they look presentable. I carry my slim travel wallet in one of the cargo pockets. The wallet doesn't show that much and I believe that a pick pocket would have a hard time getting to it in all but the most crowded situations, which I avoid. I take two pairs with me on trips and alternate them.

https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/shorts/renegade-short/?color=Khaki

For summer shirts, I like Tommy Bahama silk shirts or a silk blend. They breath really well and do not wrinkle that much. For cooler temps, I take at least one cashmere sweater. They don't wrinkle and are very warm, especially for their weight. I wear a light-weight base layer from Patagonia underneath all my shirts and sweaters. When needed, I do laundry for socks and underwear.

For dressing up, I take dark jeans and a fitted, white dress shirt that is wrinkle free. Depending on the trip, I will add a blue sport coat to my checked bag. The only cotton I take with me is a t-shirt for sleeping. Bamboo, or its variants, is also nice against my skin.

Eddie Bauer has a number of nylon-spandex styles that are light, comfortable and wrinkle-resistant. Some of them also have a BO-inhibiting factor (how they do that I cannot guess).

I'm a big Eddie fan. Apparently the line is popular with the hip-hop crowd as well. So I be stylin while feeling comfortable.

Imagine reporting to your new j*b and finding out your assignment is to sniff worn wool t-shirts and underwear. Like Rocky said (in the first movie) "It's a livin'"

Anyone know on vicking cruise is a sport jacket required?

Been on 5 Viking cruises and never worn jacket and only seen a few worn--mostly by gents used to the bigger ships.
Only requirement for specialty restaurants is that men Must wear slacks--no cargos, shorts etc. Maitre will stop you at the door and send you back to room to change. Business causal does the job,

Back
Top Bottom