Is an index stock fund portfolio strategy still valid?

lwp2017

Recycles dryer sheets
I posted this on Bogleheads, would appreciate your perspectives.

How can a 3-Fund Portfolio investment strategy using a SP500 index fund ( VINIX) still be valid with only ten companies (FAANGS) dominating market earnings?

No longer is risk of loss spread amongst a broad pool of 500 companies in different sectors; changes in a few companies or a single sector ( technology) significantly affects the index. Thus changes in a few results in greater volatility.

Thus a key benefit of a stock index fund from risk diversification is greatly diminished.

Personal Perspective for context:

I've been using Vanguard index funds with satisfaction for 25+ years, I stayed 70/30 in 2000 and 2008 and did well in the long run as the stock side nicely rebounded.

However, this spring 2018 I transitioned from a three fund portfolio to a fixed income and bond portfolio yielding avg 2.7% until I gain a personal comfort level with these atypical market conditions.

I just retired in April, had been concerned our retirement plans were vulnerable to sequence of return risks with a FANGS dominated stock portfolio. Eliminating VINIX allowed me to sleep better.

I'm fortunate to have living expense needs met with a pension and the 2.7% fixed income return allows all of our retirement plans to be fulfilled.
We are in a high spend travel phase (3% withdrawal rate) for the next 10 years, assuming health stays good, then we will phase back to 2.5% as the travel itches are satiated.

I don't expect these market conditions to last more than 2 or 3 years and do plan to transition back into SP500 index fund assuming a reversion to the historical mean.
" Market timing" is a a red flag, but I see these conditions analogous to being in a hurricane landfall zone of uncertainty. It's gonna hit, just when and how bad?

Thanks

Reference:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... half-gains

"David Kostin, chief U.S. equity strategist at Goldman Sachs, highlighted that more than 100 percent of the S&P 500’s total return of nearly 3 percent in the first half is attributable to just 10 equities. Amazon.com Inc. alone accounts for roughly two-fifths of the benchmark gauge’s advance"

There’s another thread about whether or not people are concerned with FAANGS domination of index funds and the market overall. My answer was a resounding “no”, and I don’t really understand the concern. As a percentage of holdings, the top ten stocks in VINIX make up 20%. And Berkshire Hathaway in itself is diversified, and those top ten stocks are spread across several sectors. Even if you’re worried about being overweight FAANGS in VINIX, you still have 80%+ of its holdings not residing with those (particularly strong) companies.

That’s my $0.02 anyway.

If you prefer, you can go with a Total US market ETF like FSTVX.

I think you are making a tempest in a teapot.

First, IIRC the 3-fund portfolio would use Total Stock rather than S&P 500 index.

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/portfolio/VTSAX/quarter-end-holdings

Facebook, Apple, Amazon and Google (Alphabet) account for 9.5% of Total Stock.... while Netflix doesn't make the top 10 list, let's say that they are an additional 1% so FAANGs are 10.5% in total.... even if they we just big and not outsized they would be 5% (1% each) so at worst there is an extra 5.5% in there... not a big deal IMO.

Own the market.

First, IIRC the 3-fund portfolio would use Total Stock rather than S&P 500 index.

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/profile/portfolio/VTSAX/quarter-end-holdings

Facebook, Apple, Amazon and Google (Alphabet) account for 9.5% of Total Stock.... while Netflix doesn't make the top 10 list, let's say that they are an additional 1% so FAANGs are 10.5% in total.... even if they we just big and not outsized they would be 5% (1% each) so at worst there is an extra 5.5% in there... not a big deal IMO.

Own the market.

And that ~10% in the total market index is only one of three funds in your portfolio, further diluting the total portfolio percentage they add up to.

If you prefer, you can go with a Total US market ETF like FSTVX.

Sorry to semi hijack the thread, but was just looking into the concept of replacing my equity holdings with FSTVX, but keeping my International fund.

I currently have index funds in Fidelity for Nasdaq, SP500, Mid Cap and Small Cap (plus International).

It seems to be roughly the same returns overall, so perhaps simplify?

I'll throw in a pet peeve here, one that the OP may have been touched by.

The academic research says that (per Eugene Fama) "We have to hold the market portfolio." This means: everything. The rationale is that sectors go up and down unpredictably, but taken in aggregate "everything" has steadily increased in value, though with a lot of volatility.

This idea of "passive investing" has been conflated with "index investing" and IMO that is a problem for people who are not really into this stuff. To the point of the OP, the S&P 500 is a sector fund. To hold only this sector fund is to hold less than half of "everything."

As several have suggested, holding FSTVX (total US market), is getting closer to "everything" but FSTVX avoids the half of the world's stock market cap that is outside the US. So to truly hold "everything" one needs to own an everything fund like VTWSX (total world stock market.) For those who prefer some home country bias, there is research that says that 30% or so non-US is the sweet spot for minimizing portfolio volatility. Holding some VGTSX (total international) for example.

One factor that might push one towards home country bias is concern about currency exchange rates affecting the portfolio. (If the dollar increases in value, foreign holdings look like they went down and vice-versa.) Personally, I expect the dollar to decline over the long term so I am doubly happy owning "everything." YMMV, however.

An index fund strategy is still valid. An S&P500 index only strategy was never valid.

For many 401(k) plans, the only index fund offered was an S&P500 index fund. It is easy to see why many people might believe incorrectly that the S&P500 index fund might be the only index fund in the world.

Own the market.
+1

Although I do own 30% Wellesley, most of my portfolio is in three index funds (VTSAX, VBTLX, VFWAX). This is perfectly fine IMO.

Hope so. I've got most of my dough in index funds.

This idea of "passive investing" has been conflated with "index investing" and IMO that is a problem for people who are not really into this stuff.

+1000

And it’s a problem for folks that really should know better too.

Back
Top Bottom