Is Discovery+ worth it?

Poopycat

Recycles dryer sheets
I’m beyond disgusted with what was one of my favorite channels, Investigation Discovery. That channel used to have tons of good content. My DVR was full of Investigation Discovery recordings. Now, when I go to record, I can look out over a full week of programming and find no first-aired content. It’s all repeats. And I thought this was sweeps month when networks air their best stuff.

Has all of the good stuff migrated to Discovery+? It really irritates me that I have to pay for content that used to be free. If the price for D+ really is only $4.99/mo, maybe it would be worth it.

Has anybody subscribed to this new service? Does it offer much new content from Investigation Discovery?

Tell me about it. "See No Evil" is a favorite. They apparently threw us a bone last week with a new episode, but had ads during it saying the new content is on D+. (I want to say something bad now, remember this is not reddit.)

I haven't tried it yet. The whole thing is irritating.

Last edited:
We are cycling through all the streaming companies.
Normally we just stick with netflix, but decided to cancel it (they keep your account available for 1 yr so it's just like taking a break).

We are just finishing off HBOMax and will be going to D+ on the 21st , before they raise the price on Feb 23rd (for new subscriptions, Aug 23 for members)

We only subscribe to 1 service at a time, as we can only watch 1 at a time, and it's the most efficient use of the $$.

I just switched to Philo and Discovery +. Total of bill.....$26. I had been paying $150 to Direct TV. Calling them and discontinuing service. Been happy with this combination.

We don't pay for that one, but DW did get CBS All Access for the new Star Trek series. I would say that if there is one premium channel that you really want, then get it. But only 1.

We don't pay for that one, but DW did get CBS All Access for the new Star Trek series. I would say that if there is one premium channel that you really want, then get it. But only 1.

I binged Star Trek during free trial. I got one week and ended it. They came back and gave me another month.

I'm seriously thinking of getting the year long subscription for $30 with adds. $2.50 a month isn't too bad. DW wants to watch The Real World reunion which will be Paramount+ only.

Year long offer article.

It's going to be very interesting watching how the TV market fragments over the next few years. Cable companies resisted the ala carte channel model. Their model was tiered, you take all the channels, or leave. Looks like the content providers are now going around the cable companies. You can just buy internet from AT&T or Spectrum, and choose the channels you want to subscribe to. There are also services like Roku.
Wonder how all of this will shake out in the future.

We have Discovery+ - ad-free version and really like it, but mostly used for DW to watch HGTV. We also have Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, HBO Max, and Motortrend - all ad-free. We split all except Discovery+ and Motortrend with our 2 kids so total we’re paying is about $28 per month.

haven't pulled the plug yet, no pun intended, but I am considering the Discovery +, as I watch many of their shows. If I have to suck it up for $5 a month, I'd be willing to do it. If that $5 somehow becomes more, then probably not. Not the cost, just that I don't watch enough TV to want to spend too much.

I went ahead and paid for the Discovery+ channel. I just enjoy the content and figured I’d actually view it often enough. I also got Britbox since I love British mysteries in particular. But I’m not going to order any more channels.

There is quite the discussion on the "cord cutters" thread. I won't get into this, but keep in mind that not ALL the "Discovery Family of Networks" content is available on the + streaming service. Some of it is available ONLY through a traditional cable/satellite subscription.

I'm trialing it now. Battlebots is up and current. Many ID programs are current. I'm going to consider dropping Philo. I'll have to do without The Curse of Oak Island (not a Discovery property) but I'll live.

We'll see. That's what a trial is for.

Hey OP. What ID program are you interested in? I can look. I'll say they have new episodes of Evil Lives Here and See No Evil. Also American Monster is at season 6 which I think is current.

Back
Top Bottom