Is GE a buy?

James5v

Recycles dryer sheets
I like GE and have a little of it, is it time to average down as the market heads south.

I like GE and have a little of it, is it time to average down as the market heads south.

What do you like about it? What do you see in the business that will get it moving?
I would say no.
Fundamentally, it's business are those that will be under pressure - financial, large capital goods, even the entertainment division isn't doing much.
It has been flat to down - prior to yesterday.
The stock will track the S&P

I would check out there balance sheet before jumping in. They have alot of debt and could be hit with write-offs. I like GE and have been tracking them for several months. Not yet comfortable with my understanding of their debt situation. I do like their energy and services lines of business.

Jim

I have owned GE for years in a DRIP and continue to buy GE monthly via automatic investment.

Remember buy low and sell high. If you are like me and 10 years or more from retirement, then this down swing will make us rich in the future. I have been adding to all my positions and will continue to do so.

I bought GE yesterday to add to my dividend investments -- had been hoping for a downturn in the stock price for sometime.

I've been waiting to buy GE in the low 20's for awhile, so I am buying them for clients now. Other than a bounce, Immelt is on the hotseat, and if he doesn't get stuff moving, he'll be gone, and they can get a different CEO........:)

http://www.valueline.com/dow30/f3807.pdf

I have no opinion really on GE. I would emphasize that Value Line allows free access to their reports on the Dow 30 and keeping away from stocks that are dropping in their ratings is a good item. And I avoid anything with timeliness of a 4 or safety of a 3 or lower. I do not pay much attention to their technical rating at all. But if you buy a DJIA stock quarterly check the Value Line to see if their rating is dropping. Presently a 3 on timeliness and a 1 on Safety.

As an example on May 23rd Value Line dropped AIG to a 5 on timeliness and to a 3 on safety. It closed that day at 37.81 and would have saved you a lot of heartache.

The rating on GE indicates it is a safe dividend play at this point. But not much for price growth.

At some point it will be a good buy, but not yet I think. A lot of consumer credit exposure.

Buy cheap calls if you must. I wouldn't buy yet long term.

Back
Top Bottom