Is SWAN a poor choice at this time

Happyras

Full time employment: Posting here.
I invested in SWAN as a alternative to a pure bond or cash allocation, in addition to several preferred stocks. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=263557

It seems to be de-railing with the volatility of the 10 yr yield and I am having some concern going forward. This ETF did well last year, but this year it is simply a looser, with a fairly flat performance followed now since Jan a drop in step with the duration risk alone.

It did not do as poorly as the 7-10 yr treasury ETF like IEF early in Jan, but it is on a slope with the rise in 10 year yield, only marginally offset by its SPY options. I am sure that others who have a position in SWAN are concerned or have bailed on this one due to interest rate risk. I would like to hear from others if this is the wrong structure at this time.

The duration risk is much higher than I expected. IEF seems to due better. It declined much less than SWAN on Friday even though the S&P was slightly up. Any thoughts?

I have a relatively small amount in my HSAs.... about 4% of our total... bought most of it back in May 2020.

For me, the jury is still out. I expect that there will be periods that SWAN underperforms a 60/40 portfolio and there will be periods where it overperforms... but I'll concede that it has been disappointing so it is on my watch list.

I think of Swan and IEF a totally different animals. Since I bought last May, $10k in IEF would be worth $9,588 while $10k in SWAN is worth $10,843 (through the end of Feb 2021... SWAN has been better that IEF in March so far). It seems to me that buying IEF is buying interest rate risk.

Back
Top Bottom