Is This A Yellowjacket ?

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Two of them tried to get into my garage yesterday.
I swatted this one down & gave him a WD-40 bath :)
South Central Minnesota
29143-albums238-picture2445.jpg

Last edited:
not a yellow jacket, we have tons of them here. That looks more like a cicada killer especially if he is bigger than a typical wasps in size

Attachments

• FAE3675B-C9F6-42C3-A7AF-97B6554CBE40.jpeg
    FAE3675B-C9F6-42C3-A7AF-97B6554CBE40.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 55
Agree. It’s not a yellow jacket. Does look like the picture SD-455 posted (wondering if that’s on SD-455’s hand :eek: ).

I agree with skipro, that looks like a hornet. Yellow jackets are much smaller.

Two of them tried to get into my garage yesterday.
I swatted this one down & gave him a WD-40 bath :)

Did it try to sting you? Are you allergic to bee stings? It this had happened to me, unless I thought it was acting aggressively and trying to sting me (which bees, wasps, and hornets generally avoid unless they feel threatened), I would have just let it fly back out of the garage on its own. :confused:

I agree with others that it's not a yellowjacket.

Last edited:
Did it try to sting you? Are you allergic to bee stings? It this had happened to me, unless I thought it was acting aggressively and trying to sting me (which bees, wasps, and hornets generally avoid unless they feel threatened), I would have just let it fly back of out the garage on its own. :confused:

I agree with others that it's not a yellowjacket.

If I used WD-40 on all the flying critters that try to get in my garage, I would need a 50 gallon barrel of the stuff. I pretty much leave 'em alone and they leave me alone. :D

If I used WD-40 on all the flying critters that try to get in my garage, I would need a 50 gallon barrel of the stuff. I pretty much leave 'em alone and they leave me alone. :D

+1

Yup! and I like them as pollinators. I have a lot of butterfly friendly plants which means I get a lot of bees/wasps etc., hanging out too. They aren't interested in me. Left on their own they would likely have preferred to leave your garage.

When the bees go; we all go soon after...

(yes I know bees aren't the same as wasps but etc...)

I think it is a cicada wasp. Here is one I had in my yard the other week with his dinner. Cicada wasp are not aggressive and serve a good purpose getting the cicadas. IMG_2876.JPG

Did it try to sting you?
All I can say is that the 2 of them were acting aggressively.
It wasn't so much them trying to get in the garage, as them trying to keep me from leaving. Maybe there's a hive nearby that I'm not aware of ?

I'm not allergic to bee stings.
I wouldn't have grabbed the flyswatter & engaged them if I was :)

Unless someone comes up with more compelling evidence, I'm going to say it’s a hornet.

The comparison picture from skipro33 was the clincher, as the length/size is a match as well.

Kind of strange that we both photographed them on a small piece of paper towel, maybe even the same brand :crazy:

29143-albums233-picture2447.jpg

Last edited:
Yellow Jacket.
yellow-jacket-crawling-on-a-wooden-table.jpg

Yellowjackets may be confused with other wasps, such as hornets and paper wasps such as Polistes dominula. A typical yellowjacket worker is about 12 mm (0.47 in) long, with alternating bands on the abdomen; the queen is larger, about 19 mm (0.75 in) long (the different patterns on their abdomens help separate various species).

Cicada Killer! Hadn't ever seen one of those!

But here we have the Tarantula Hawk:
GettyImages-139289963.jpg

I would never hold one. The sting is supposed to be extremely painful. But this does give some scale.

They are quite large and capable of paralyzing a tarantula and dragging off to its burrow. Well, you really don't want to know the rest.

I occasionally see one flying around. We have tarantulas too.

Cicada Killer! Hadn't ever seen one of those!

But here we have the Tarantula Hawk:

I would never hold one. The sting is supposed to be extremely painful. But this does give some scale.

They are quite large and capable of paralyzing a tarantula and dragging off to its burrow. Well, you really don't want to know the rest.

I occasionally see one flying around. We have tarantulas too.

Here is one in action on my sidewalk a couple of years ago. It was dragging a small paralyzed tarantula to its den to feed the young hawks.

Attachments

• Tarantula Hawk.jpg
    Tarantula Hawk.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom