Is this forum active?

I was wrong

I can see now this forum is active yes, so I was totally wrong:)

I came here to maybe find other people that don't have to work either, in order to see how they fill up their days, that's it. I'm curious to see what others are doing with all this time. I edit videos for fun and exercise, watching series and loves to visit the ocean, on saturday i will visit a catshow. I traveled more before but nowadays this world is just too...rocky. But I want to travel more again as soon as stuff is calming down a bit.
I'm not interested in talking about numbers and such, I'm a cheapskate and has always been? Sure I enjoy good things in life but have no interest in showing off anything

No matter how old, it is always a good time to travel somewhere in this world.

I came here to maybe find other people that don't have to work either, in order to see how they fill up their days, that's it. I'm curious to see what others are doing with all this time. I edit videos for fun and exercise, watching series and loves to visit the ocean, on saturday i will visit a catshow. I traveled more before but nowadays this world is just too...rocky. But I want to travel more again as soon as stuff is calming down a bit.
I'm not interested in talking about numbers and such, I'm a cheapskate and has always been? Sure I enjoy good things in life but have no interest in showing off anything

Welcome to the site, lots to explore here other than numbers, it looks like you have the numbers side of things sorted.

What sort of travel do you like doing, driving in-country, between countries and/or flying to other countries?

My wife and I retired at age 55 in the USA after 23 years living there then spent 6 years traveling, all over the US and Canada, plus cruising and long trips to Australia, New Zealand and Europe. We then moved back to England, continued traveling and cruising to other countries for a few years then eventually slowed down and do most of our traveling within the UK with short (up to 2 weeks) trips to Europe either by train, ferry or plane.

I don't fill my days with travel. I play music at least 3 times per week. I am in three concert bands and started my own flute choir. I am helping out a college flute choir and most of my post-retirement friends are musicians, ranging from their 20s to late 80s. I have traveled to Italy four times to play in a music festival. I spend time reading, gardening, cooking and trying new recipes (Mexican, Italian, Ethiopian, Indian, and barbecue). I am striving to work out daily, and have returned to my favorite workout, long distance lap swimming.

I read a lot and enjoy games.

We're getting back into travel this coming 12 months: Two weeks in Hawaii, one week at Whistler for skiing, driving to Niagara Falls for the solar eclipse, a road trip to Michigan in May where DH has a lucrative music gig.

I thought the world was rocky in 2016 due to terrorist attacks in Europe, so we chose to spend a week traveling around Iceland. I highly recommend it. It's surrounded by ocean, you know...

If you have a social life and some structure, it's great not having to work.

Heck, some of our more seasoned members have underwear that is older than the OP! :LOL:

You know who you are. :flowers:
IMO, it's not a problem having older underwear. Heck, it's comfortable. Now not having clean old underwear, is a totally different story.

Cool, military retired?

So many threads on this forum--travel, weather, was we are making/cooking/grilling, etc.
Take a look around and enjoy. Feel free to share.
Many folks here share their wisdom and humor.
Its a great place to be.

OP might be thinking of something like a live chat where it is instantaneous interaction? Heck, sometimes I have to wait a whole 5 minutes to get a reply here :LOL:

Actually, some are active but many others are passive. Most of the active investors post in the “Active Investing, Market Timing and Alternative Assets” forum (here) while the passive investors prefer to post in the “Fire and Money” forum (here). No single investment style dominates here, we’re open minded equal opportunity investors

You were referring to investment style, right? :)

Last edited:
I'm checking in on the forum typically 3-4 times per day when I'm not busy with something else. It is fairly active if you try to stay on top of new threads or posts. But I also have numerous jobs:
Lawn guy
Old car maintenance
Pool boy
Gardener
Car repair
Home improvement
Appliance repair
General repair
Finance manager
Home based business CEO

Plus more jobs I can't think of right now. I keep plenty busy, the forum gives me a break and other's perspective.

^^^^^
What, no time allocation(s) for naps?

I came here to maybe find other people that don't have to work either, in order to see how they fill up their days, that's it. I'm curious to see what others are doing with all this time. I edit videos for fun and exercise, watching series and loves to visit the ocean, on saturday i will visit a catshow.

Ooh.... cat shows. I don't show any more but used to many, many years ago. Honestly, I don't know how I used to have time to work. I have so much to do every day. Now, a lot of that is not what other people would call productive. I play video games, I work on genetic genealogy. I read. Work on exercising. Surfing the internet. Taking up old hobbies that I used to do and now have more time to do. Finding new hobbies. We recently moved 1500 miles to a new state so we are exploring the area.

Welcome to the site, lots to explore here other than numbers, it looks like you have the numbers side of things sorted.

What sort of travel do you like doing, driving in-country, between countries and/or flying to other countries?

My wife and I retired at age 55 in the USA after 23 years living there then spent 6 years traveling, all over the US and Canada, plus cruising and long trips to Australia, New Zealand and Europe. We then moved back to England, continued traveling and cruising to other countries for a few years then eventually slowed down and do most of our traveling within the UK with short (up to 2 weeks) trips to Europe either by train, ferry or plane.

Thank you & the rest of you that welcomed me to this forum, I appreciate it:)

It sounds like you been to many, many great places indeed. I realized with experience that I appreciate to go to places that's not too touristy but still normal. What I mean with 'normal' is comfortable, I have no interest in visit India for examople. I don't wanna go down in a sub or to a desert somewhere to get some "kicks", many does like those things but I don't. I appreciate Poland for example, very few tourists, great food (at least in the bigger cities) many have such good quality & presentation it should be in 5 star resturants, I even got golden vodka no extra charge. I was on my way to Kaliningrad but then the war came so everything has just stand still from there.

Also, the thing with not working is that everyone else does, and travel alone is not something I wanna do. Guess that's a luxury problem "poor me, everyone has to work so I can't travel":D but is still a issue so I try to find stuff to do in my own city

Cool, military retired?

Nope, not even close:)

To be frank, why does it even matter what the reason is behind why someome is early retired? I think is more important to find people that are similar because they are so very few

Ooh.... cat shows. I don't show any more but used to many, many years ago. Honestly, I don't know how I used to have time to work. I have so much to do every day. Now, a lot of that is not what other people would call productive. I play video games, I work on genetic genealogy. I read. Work on exercising. Surfing the internet. Taking up old hobbies that I used to do and now have more time to do. Finding new hobbies. We recently moved 1500 miles to a new state so we are exploring the area.

That's very interesting to know, can I ask you which cat breeds you did have or is it too personal? If so, then just skip that question.
Im only a guest to cat shows, I never show my own cat there or haven't in the past with other cats either. I simply enjoy watching all different breeds & will also record a bunch & then edit & post it to other cat-people out there:)

Sounds exciting with a new area to explore, I did the same last year, I thought I would adjust in a second but it has taken a full year, it really surprised me that I didn't adjust faster, i use to move a LOT before. Guess age does its part.

OP might be thinking of something like a live chat where it is instantaneous interaction? Heck, sometimes I have to wait a whole 5 minutes to get a reply here :LOL:

Hehe, nope. Why I thought the forum was inactive was that I did a extremely fast research on one of the topics and the dates was from last year or more, so I simply thought it was a dated forum all together. I wanted to make it clear from the start if "people are here or not?" but Now i totally know, that they sure are:)

It sounds like you been to many, many great places indeed. I realized with experience that I appreciate to go to places that's not too touristy but still normal. What I mean with 'normal' is comfortable, I have no interest in visit India for examople. I don't wanna go down in a sub or to a desert somewhere to get some "kicks", many does like those things but I don't. I appreciate Poland for example, very few tourists, great food (at least in the bigger cities) many have such good quality & presentation it should be in 5 star resturants, I even got golden vodka no extra charge. I was on my way to Kaliningrad but then the war came so everything has just stand still from there.

Also, the thing with not working is that everyone else does, and travel alone is not something I wanna do. Guess that's a luxury problem "poor me, everyone has to work so I can't travel":D but is still a issue so I try to find stuff to do in my own city

Our days of getting “kicks” are long past us now although I certainly don’t regret some of that type of thing we have done, great memories.

Funny you should mention Poland because I’m planning to go there next Spring with some friends who have been before and loved it.

To be frank, why does it even matter what the reason is behind why someome is early retired? I think is more important to find people that are similar because they are so very few

Exactly. I can’t remember anyone asking me why I retired early. Many folks I know would like to retire early and I know several, including my brother, who continue to work because they enjoy it, or can’t think what they would do without work, but not because they need the money.

Operators are standing by to render their opinion on almost anything one might wish to say.

Ooh.... cat shows. I don't show any more but used to many, many years ago.
I presume you're talking about domestic house cars jumping through hoops and stuff? Is that really a "thing" any more? About 30 years ago, just yards away from the southern most point in the continental US (high density tourist area), I saw such a show. But where in the world are there regularly scheduled cat shows? Those were the skinniest cats. I felt sorry for them because they were probably on a diet that left them highly motivated to jump through fire for that tiny morsel of food.

I presume you're talking about domestic house cars jumping through hoops and stuff? Is that really a "thing" any more? About 30 years ago, just yards away from the southern most point in the continental US (high density tourist area), I saw such a show. But where in the world are there regularly scheduled cat shows? Those were the skinniest cats. I felt sorry for them because they were probably on a diet that left them highly motivated to jump through fire for that tiny morsel of food.

I think you are talking about those underground shows that involve people performing cat juggling. Our Ankara is very skinny inside her cloud of hair, but is dead set against it. I think. She would accept the tiny morsels of food however.

That's very interesting to know, can I ask you which cat breeds you did have or is it too personal? If so, then just skip that question.

Not personal at all. This was a long time ago (late 70s, early 80s). But I showed mostly Balinese and some Siamese. I don't know if you go to particular shows for particular associations but in case you do know anything about this a bit of history.

Back in the late 70s the main cat associations were CFA and then I guess 2nd was ACFA. CFA was much slower to accept the newer breeds and they often had little chance there in their early years. So raising Balinese (relatively new for CFA) I ended up mostly showing in ACFA. I didn't realist at the time but there were huge splits within ACFA and soon after I started showing ACFA split in half. I lived in Texas and an ACFA judge there founded TICA. I was a charter member. It was a huge adventure for someone new to showing since they were building an association from the ground up. It was a very big question whether TICA could even survive. (By the way the Siamese I showed were tortiepoints so in CFA were called colorpoints). Anyway, I was very active for a few years. But this was early in my career (I had just gotten out of school when I got involved) and ultimately cat shows and breeding weren't really something I could combine with my work. So, at that point, I happily became simply a cat owner. I used to occasionally go to shows but probably haven't been to one in 10 or 15 years. I really ought to go to one now that we've moved.

Sounds exciting with a new area to explore, I did the same last year, I thought I would adjust in a second but it has taken a full year, it really surprised me that I didn't adjust faster, i use to move a LOT before. Guess age does its part.

We moved about 1500 miles a little over 3 months ago and are about to close on a house next week. I had never moved out of my home state before so it has been a huge adjustment. We are happy we moved. We are happy with the new location. But, I have come to realize how very different one part of the country can be from another. I keep getting completely surprised....

Our days of getting “kicks” are long past us now although I certainly don’t regret some of that type of thing we have done, great memories.

Funny you should mention Poland because I’m planning to go there next Spring with some friends who have been before and loved it.

Exactly. I can’t remember anyone asking me why I retired early. Many folks I know would like to retire early and I know several, including my brother, who continue to work because they enjoy it, or can’t think what they would do without work, but not because they need the money.

Thank you for your understanding, I think people are very curious creatures and they always want to know the details why someone live the way they do. That´s a funny coincidence about Poland! I think you will be happily surprised, some feel "wow" but some just don´t like it, is very different, I hope you have fun in spring there

Back
Top Bottom