Is this the future of media?

Makes me think of the recipe sites where many recipes are extended blogs (going on and on and on) that have lots of rooms for ads and product referrals.
Yes, a lot of recipe sites are link generation engines. AI articles can incorporate links even more deftly.

Those extended blogs are designed to keep you on a website longer so the darn ads keep popping up. They're designed for cell phones. But the longer you read an article the more ads keep popping so much that you can't read the article.
If something looks interesting I'll read it on my computer.

One can use the excellent Brave browser to surf the web, which cuts out the ads and links from articles. I love it and it’s my designated browser.

Or if you're on a macbook/imac click on the reader view in the address bar and get an easy to read text stripped of all the fluff.

Or if you're on a macbook/imac click on the reader view in the address bar and get an easy to read text stripped of all the fluff.

+1 if it’s enabled, but it often is especially for articles and blog posts.

You can do this on your iOS devices too.

Last edited:
One can use the excellent Brave browser to surf the web, which cuts out the ads and links from articles. I love it and it’s my designated browser.

Thanks for posting this :clap:

I hadn't heard of the Brave browser before. I Just downloaded it and am really liking it.

Thanks for posting this :clap:

I hadn't heard of the Brave browser before. I Just downloaded it and am really liking it.

You’re welcome. In addition to the better reading experience of articles cleansed of ads and links, Brave does not track you across the web, either, monetizing you for resale of your data like Google and similar browsers do. I’m not sure how their business model works but I’ve been impressed with how they have tried to build a better browser.

Last edited:
Brave is a good browser. Alas, since updating my MacBook to the latest OS it tells me the Brave browser is no longer compatible.

Brave is a good browser. Alas, since updating my MacBook to the latest OS it tells me the Brave browser is no longer compatible.

It's perfectly compatible with mine, MacOS 13.1 and Brave version 1.47.171.

Does it give you any other information?

These AI articles are currently pretty easy to spot and I tend to ignore news sources that post them. It is a similar situation with those that rely heavily on Indian writers. I have nothing against Indians but when I see an American news source post an article using non-American terms, like calling your airfare a "tariff," I cringe. And I will tend to avoid that source in the future. I read a TPG article this weekend that committed that very faux pas with numerous subtle non-americanisms in the same article. So how am I to give any credit to an article that purports to tell me how Americans can take advantage of certain things when the writer clearly could have no real first-hand experience? And how does an AI know about travel comforts?

On a positive note, might we eventually end up with articles that are more factual and less agenda/bias driven?

Thinking the same, but I could see them adding a left & right leaning button on your bot..."customize your bot" option.

I don't think AI will make any difference in spreading pablum.

On a positive note, might we eventually end up with articles that are more factual and less agenda/bias driven?
Yes and no. AI authored articles are like management consultants, they take what’s already been written and give it back to us with different words. Journalists who can do real analysis, original research and writing will stand out and command superior fees, as will platforms and news organizations that can assemble and curate that.

I don't think AI will make any difference in spreading pablum.
It will lower the cost or production and flood the internet with content that has no nutritional value. It will be the soylent green of journalism.

The output has been pretty interesting. I had a "conversation" with ChatGPT in my area of expertise, game design: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XbM0xG9Nh25gMEvj8KNWQpEo4QPw0DimSDSxUY6NaMY/edit

The areas it fails at are interesting, the fact that it can do what it can do is sort of crazy, but in general, at the high level it was too generic and trivial to be useful, and at the low level it wasn't able to adapt and apply even its own statements of how to fix some output. But still, the fact that it could generate tables and modify them at all, even if mostly it failed at it, was pretty impressive.

Back
Top Bottom