Is your drivers License Compliant TSA

Pain in the half - I agree! It took me 4 1/2 hours to go through the DMV process. Aghhhh.

It went quick at my DMV, setup an appointment online, went in with the pre-filled paperwork and needed identification documents, took the photo then the clerk looked over the paperwork. Out in about 15 minutes and got the new license in the mail a week later.

For air travel without Real Id, you'll need that passport inside in 2020, assuming they don't move the date again.

not so. a Real ID or passport is/will be required only for international air travel. for domestic air travel without a Real ID the handy Passport Card is accepted.

papers! papers! show me your papers!!

not so. a Real ID or passport is/will be required only for international air travel. for domestic air travel without a Real ID the handy Passport Card is accepted.

Details. You are channeling ERD50. (hope ERD can take a joke)

Correct me to say, "A passport or passport card."

Papers, papers! Show me your papers or handy card!

:)

A real ID (driver's license) is and will not be usable for international air travel, for that you need to use a passport.

You cannot even drive over the border without a passport (or the passport card thing I think).

The passport card is good for US cross-border travel with Canada and Mexico as well as returning to the US on a Carribean or Bermuda cruise that left a US port.

Last edited:
I want to thank the OP and other responders. I was completely unaware of this requirement. Thanks to this thread, DW and I today got our licenses updated to be compliant. It’s never pleasant going to the DMV, but with an appointment it wasn’t too bad. Appreciate the heads up. One of the many, many great things about this site.
Muir

The passport card is good for US cross-border travel with Canada and Mexico as well as returning to the US on a Carribean or Bermuda cruise that left a US port.

When we cruise, we always take our passports, so I never got the card. But what you are saying makes me wonder, suppose you are on some island like Aruba, and miss the boat.

Will they let you get on a plane to US with the card and not a passport ?
Or would a person literally be stuck on the island ?

When we cruise, we always take our passports, so I never got the card. But what you are saying makes me wonder, suppose you are on some island like Aruba, and miss the boat.

Will they let you get on a plane to US with the card and not a passport ?
Or would a person literally be stuck on the island ?

You would most likely not be able to get on an international flight back to the U.S. without a passport book. Any airline who carried you into the country without the proper documentation would be risking fines, so I doubt if any of them would do it. If you are left behind by a cruise ship and don't have the proper documentation to fly home, you are supposed to contact the U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where you are stuck and ask for help. If you had a passport but left it in your cabin, then the ship's officers should search for it and leave it with the port agent.

Back
Top Bottom