It's all REALLY good

ItsAllGood

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all,

I've enjoyed lurking on this board the past several years. After a couple OMYs, I took the plunge. June 6th was my last day at Megacorp. DH and I took an early flight on the 7th to visit DD and SIL and just returned late last night. Today feels like my first true day of retirement. Started off with a yoga class in the mid-morning, such luxury! I'm 58 and DH is 62 (he's retiring at the end of the month). Thanks to all of you who post regularly. I learned a lot from you!

Driving out of the parking garage at megacorp on the last day, "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!" popped into my head. Perfecto!

Yes, it feels like that, but for me the song was "Already Gone" by the Eagles.
You hit D-Day; that's a good fit.

I remember my last day of High school, and riding around with a freind who had a really loud car audio system. We had Alice Cooper's "Schools out" cranked up, and I can imagine that my last day at MegaCorp will be similar....congrats on finally FIRE-ING !

Congratulations and welcome to the best part of your life.

Yay! Congratulations. IMHO it only gets better. Happy days ahead!

There is a serious downside that you need to be aware of. At some point in the next few months you will slowly but consistently forget what day of the week it is. This can be traumatic for some. Also, holidays that occur on Mondays or Fridays will have less meaning in your life.

Welcome. I'm glad you decided to de-lurk. Congratulations on your retirement.

Congrats on your retirement!!
It was a journey to be end sooner or later but you did it with a great joy!!
Life is only better from now and on!!
cheers:)

Regarding cbo111, " At some point in the next few months you will slowly but consistently forget what day of the week it is."
How true this rings. I'm constantly unaware of the day of the week. I do know the odd days of the week as that's when we are allowed to water, lol.
Congrats on your retirement.

Enjoy ....

Congrats! I remember that first day like it was yesterday, and it was awesome!

I remember my last day of High school, and riding around with a freind who had a really loud car audio system. We had Alice Cooper's "Schools out" cranked up, and I can imagine that my last day at MegaCorp will be similar....congrats on finally FIRE-ING !

I tell people that being FIREd is similar to being out of school in the summer...except you don't have to go home when the sun goes down! ;)

Nice, congrats and enjoy!

If I could choose my handle again, I'd use Saul Goodman. Until I started watching Better Call Saul a few months ago, I didn't realize he came up with that name from "(It')s all good, man".

Regarding cbo111, " At some point in the next few months you will slowly but consistently forget what day of the week it is."
How true this rings. I'm constantly unaware of the day of the week. I do know the odd days of the week as that's when we are allowed to water, lol.
Congrats on your retirement.

Enjoy ....

My dad sure has embraced this idea. He’s been retired for a few years now and he went to the doctor the other day. As part of a screening test they asked my dad “Do you know what day of the week it is?” My dad responded “Sure, it’s the day before trash day.” Lol, the nurse actually scolded him and said he needed to cooperate and answer her questions. :LOL:

There is a serious downside that you need to be aware of. At some point in the next few months you will slowly but consistently forget what day of the week it is. This can be traumatic for some. Also, holidays that occur on Mondays or Fridays will have less meaning in your life.

Just as traumatic; Fridays will no longer hold that special quality as when w0rking. I do most of my running around outside of the weekend now.

However, there is something special about back to back, perpetual 7 day weekends. :)

Just as traumatic; Fridays will no longer hold that special quality

I distinctly remember the first what-would-have-been long holiday weekend after I retired. For a few moments, I realized I missed that deep feeling of relief and joy a the prospect of 3 days off.

But, I never have to feel the other side of that - the sunday night dread - again either, so that's a trade I'm happy to have made!

And yeah all these 'every day will be saturday!' - nah, at least once a week you or your partner will say something like 'it's thursday today right?' and weekends are when you avoid the stores if you can help it.

Yep, weekends are for the rookie's. Lol I don't do many if any outdoor activities on weekends but wait till week days to have it all to myself.

I left on my own terms- on good terms.

Now for some of you..........

Yep, weekends are for the rookie's. Lol I don't do many if any outdoor activities on weekends but wait till week days to have it all to myself.

Yep, finally nice weather here and don’t look forward to the weekend hoards of people on the local bike trail.

I'd been self-employed for over 25 years, and thought it'd be nice to get a job and have some structure.

I made through two whole weeks on the job. Felt bad for the company, they bought me a new truck and some other stuff. But it was one of the greatest days of my life quitting that job.

After I left, I'm outside jumping in the air, clicking my heals. I was just never cut out to work for anyone.

Congrats on your retirement. I'm assuming you worked for your company longer than me.

Congratulations! I felt like it was the last day of school on my last day. Such joy and relief! I only need to know which day of the week it is so I know which yoga class to go to :)

Congrats!! It's truly a wonderful feeling. The song running through my head was "I'm Free" by the Rolling Stones.

Back
Top Bottom