It's funny joke Thursday! 2005 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stolen from the Internet:

"To kill a French vampire you need to drive a baguette through its heart.

Sound easy, but the process is painstaking."

No offence intended towards bakers, vampires, the French, or any combination thereof. ;)

Sound easy, but the process is painstaking

It is a very bad pun. In French bread is called pain, so the process is
pain staking (Groan):facepalm:

Sound easy, but the process is painstaking

It is a very bad pun. In French bread is called pain, so the process is
pain staking (Groan):facepalm:

And here I thought puns were intentionally bad. :LOL:

My weird sense of humor: I thought it was an excellent pun, and I greatly enjoyed it.

But Frenglish puns have always been a favorite of mine.

Of course, YMMV, or "Pas de lieu Rhône que nous"

Last edited:
My weird sense of humor: I thought it was an excellent pun, and I greatly enjoyed it.

Of course, YMMV, or "Pas de lieu Rhône que nous"

I had to really scour Google for that one! And I learned of a whole new family of puns I was unaware of. Now I'm going to be seeing these everywhere.
canoe.jpg

In Riyadh approximately 40% of our contingent were Quebeckers.....(English was the operative language)......and I'd often leave short notes in our office.....English expressions, using French words.

In French the sentences were gibberish, so I'd watch as guys would mentally translate and put deux et two together.

If you like this sort of thing (and if you don't, you should :D ) here are a couple of books I've loved for many years:

Mots d'Heures: Gousses, Rames, The d'Antin Manuscript

N'Heures Souris Rames by Ormonde De Kay

The second one is long out of print, but you might find it in a used bookstore. I've treasured these for decades and think they're absolutely hilarious.

Just for grins, I'll excerpt just a bit from the first book. It's all utterly tongue in cheek of course, but supposedly an enigmatic set of medieval French verses that have been annotated by a later author.

Jacques s'apprête
Coulis de nos fêtes.1
Et soif que dites nos lignes.2
Et ne sauve bédouine tempo3 y aussi,
Telle y que de plat terre, cligne.4

1. Coulis, a sort of strained broth. Jacques was either a sauce chef or an invalid.
2. Jacques was also an alcoholic, since his thirst is beyond description.
3. He was fond of Arab music.
4. He believed the earth was flat. The last word of the line, meaning "wink" is obviously a stage direction. Poor Jacques, whoever he was, was obviously considered a fool.

Obviously, the better you understand (and can pronounce) French, the more this stuff appeals.
For example, in the second line, "soif" is "thirst" in French, and the third note has "Bedouin tempo", denoting Arab music. "plat terre" would be "flat earth". Well, you get the idea.

For those whose French is a bit rusty, the actual pronunciation of the lines would be, more or less:

Jack Sprat
Could eat no fat.
His wife could eat no lean.
And so between them both
They licked the platter clean.

The book's title, of course, is Mother Goose Rhymes.

My daughter came up with this one:

Q: What do you call a criminal that thinks highly of himself, going down the stairs?

A: A condescending con, descending.

SwxbABh.png

"This will be payed automatically" might be better than "This bill is not a bill."

On a sandwich from a vending machine, one of the ingredients was "lettuce, if present."

I was pissed off at my husband, so I emptied a glass of water in front of the dishwasher. He's been working on it for two hours.

Some aviation funnies borrowed from others.

It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed.'
- US.Air Force Manual -

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
- Sign over SR71 Wing Ops-

'You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3.'
- Paul F. Crickmore (SR71 test pilot)-

'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'
-Unknown Author-

'If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage it has to be a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe.'
- Fixed Wing Pilot-

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'
-Multi-Engine Training Manual-

'Without ammunition, the Air Force is just an expensive flying club.'
-Unknown Author-

'If you hear me yell;"Eject, Eject, Eject!", the last two will be echos.'
If you stop to ask "Why?", you'll be talking to yourself, because by then you'll be the pilot.'
-Pre-flight Briefing from a Canadian F104 Pilot-

'What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots?
If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; but If ATC screws up, .... the pilot dies.'
-Sign over Control Tower Door-

'Never trade luck for skill.'
-Author Unknown-

The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in military aviation are:'Did you feel that?' 'What's that noise?' and'Oh S...!'
-Authors Unknown-

'Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight.'
-Basic Flight Training Manual-

'Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it.'
- Emergency Checklist-

'The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you.'
- Attributed to Max Stanley ( Northrop test pilot) -

'There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime.'
-Sign over Squadron Ops Desk at Davis-Montham AFB , AZ-

'You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal.' - Lead-in Fighter Training Manual -

As the test pilot climbs out of the experimental aircraft,
having torn off the wings and tail in the crash landing, the crash truck arrives.

The rescuer sees the bloodied pilot and asks,'What happened?'
The pilot's reply: 'I don't know, I just got here myself!'

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED... A friend of mine has two tickets for the 2020 Super Bowl, both box seats. He paid $11,500 each. It comes with ride to and from the airport, lunch, dinner and $400.00 bar tab. Also a back stage pass to the winners locker room. He didn't realize last year when he bought them, it was going to be on the same day as his wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place... It's at St Paul's Church, in Orlando at 3pm. Her name is Ashley. She's 5'4", about 145 lbs, and a good cook too. She loves to fish and hunt. She'll be the one in the white dress.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED... A friend of mine has two tickets for the 2020 Super Bowl, both box seats. He paid $11,500 each. It comes with ride to and from the airport, lunch, dinner and $400.00 bar tab. Also a back stage pass to the winners locker room. He didn't realize last year when he bought them, it was going to be on the same day as his wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place... It's at St Paul's Church, in Orlando at 3pm. Her name is Ashley. She's 5'4", about 145 lbs, and a good cook too. She loves to fish and hunt. She'll be the one in the white dress.

Very good.:LOL:
Did have to read it twice.

Me:
OMG! I'm so tired from all that crossfit this morning.

Friend:
It's pronounced croissant, and I'm not sure how you managed to eat 12.

My father was a dentist and my mother was a manicurist...
for most of their married life they fought tooth and nail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom