It's the Governments fault

I've tried saying, "I'm afraid I don't share your point of view," with an apologetic
smile on my face, and a friendly tone to my voice.

This serves several purposes for me: I am responding to what I perceive as obnoxious talk,
and am doing something about it, yet I am not setting out to reject or hurt the other person,
merely pointing out that our views differ.

I tried this once on a person with whom I was unfamiliar who incorrectly thought
I would share his views due to our similarity in skin color. He was stopped in his
tracks, and somewhat rattled, but did not become angry with me. I left the
encounter feeling calm, whereas had I not responded, I would have felt irritated
with myself thinking that the other person might have thought I agreed with him!

I ask about the weather forecast. No matter what else they say, I talk about the weather. Doesn't take long.

You know, I have heard other people do this very thing to head-off a dicey conversation. Few of us, it seems, can resist chipping in on the topic of weather. Then again, someone who is really upset will complain about changing the topic. What does one do then?

Amethyst

I ask about the weather forecast. No matter what else they say, I talk about the weather. Doesn't take long.

I don't even vaguely understand "issues" like this. I just try to be sure that I am not perceived this way by people I care about, mostly my family and close friends. Random people are rarely capable of making sense anyway. IF there are 35-40 years between you and your kids, there are going to be some meaningful differences in outlook. I always strive to keep these minor of at least to downplay them. pPople are more important to me than my opinions.

Without this, I would almost never have conversations with most of the people I know. Seattle is probably one of the bluest cities in the US, if I ever told the truth about my political opinions I would be iced immediately. It does help if a conservative has a girlfriend (boyfriend) that she(he) not be an extreme liberal.

Ha

Last edited:
You know, I have heard other people do this very thing to head-off a dicey conversation. Few of us, it seems, can resist chipping in on the topic of weather. Then again, someone who is really upset will complain about changing the topic. What does one do then?

Amethyst

Cut your losses? Change the subject again? Clam up?

Amethyst

I imagine that tactic doesn't work to well in San Diego! :)

I don't even vaguely understand "issues" like this. I just try to be sure that I am not perceived this way by people I care about, mostly my family and close friends. Random people are rarely capable of making sense anyway. IF there are 35-40 years between you and your kids, there are going to be some meaningful differences in outlook. I always strive to keep these minor of at least to downplay them. pPople are more important to me than my opinions.

Without this, I would almost never have conversations with most of the people I know. Seattle is probably one of the bluest cities in the US, if I ever told the truth about my political opinions I would be iced immediately. It does help if a conservative has a girlfriend (boyfriend) that she(he) not be an extreme liberal.

Ha

The person described in the OP sounds like a serial complainer (and yes, he might even complain about his cereal! < a tip to the grammar/spelling thread). Either avoid those people or change the subject, 'discussion' isn't what they are after.

But I like probing issues like this to see how other people I share this globe with think, and to test my own thinking. Especially someone outside my generation or background. For me, it's kind of fun, and challenging to think of ways to make a point (or just get the person to question their view) w/o coming across as confrontational (I often fail!). Sometimes there's no right/wrong, or any need to attempt to change the other person's mind, it's just interesting to see the differences.

Like that thread on T-AL's book and 'embellishment'. I'm almost stunned to see how strongly some people feel that a book like that absolutely must be the literal truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. That level of artistic license seemed normal to me. I don't there is any right/wrong there, but I never would have thought people would feel that strongly, and I just find that interesting.

-ERD50

Last edited:
When people complain about their financial situation and blame the govt, I explain to them its their fault for filling their house with imported goods.

Back
Top Bottom