It's Wednesday weigh ins! 2007-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've probably read every significant diet book/scheme for the last 25 years. I also have 12 s.h. of college level dietetics and nutrition. Now, I'm not claiming that this makes me an expert, but whoever said don't go below 1200 calories a day is pretty much correct. Or at least that's what all my previous education tells me. Below that level your metabolism basically shuts down and does go into the aforementioned "starvation/survival" mode. It will begin to digest it's own muscle to preserve it's survival stock of fat. And as many of you have pointed out, muscle weighs more than fat.

The rule of thumb is that a moderately active individual (30 mins of exercise at least 3 times per week) requires an average of 15 kcal per pound of maintenance weight. So a lady who wants to weigh 120 would need an average of 1530 kcal per day. A guy like me who wants to hit a goal of 225 would need 3375 per day, at moderately average activity levels.

I really believe this is true. I had a really hard time losing weight and keeping it off when I went on a 1200 cal diet. When I switched to 1400 cal (and exercised more since I had more energy), I was able to lose weight a little easier.

That sounds about right. It is the Weight Watchers program that I used and still do on the odd occaision. (they came to our work and were subsidized by the company, and it works great for me as it emphasizes a life style change in eating and exercise habits).

For my weight (175lb) the minimum recommended is 24 pts which is translated into 1200 calories if you ate no fiber or fat and did no exercise. (eating fat, fiber and exercising are factored into the points calculation, but it is essentially a calorie counting program)

I have to finally admit I can not do this on my own. I have signed up with a personal trainer and starting Monday will be having 3 X 1 hr sessions weekly. This will also require me to keep a food diary. I was feeling so frustrated at being on the road to nowhere that I decided I needed to take this step.

BTW Khan after you lost all that weight, did your body bounce back into shape or did you have lots of loose hanging fat?

Last edited:
I have to finally admit I can not do this on my own. I have signed up with a personal trainer and starting Monday will be having 3 X 1 hr sessions weekly. This will also require me to keep a food diary. I was feeling so frustrated at being on the road to nowhere that I decided I needed to take this step.

BTW Khan after you lost all that weight, did your body bounce back into shape or did you have lots of loose hanging fat?

Remember, I am 58; but it's not too bad. There are no large folds or flaps, but there is definitely some extra skin. I assume it will slowly go away, but who knows?

I was exercising, but got thrown off schedule by that six day power outage. After giving blood tomorrow, I will get back to the exercise schedule on Sunday.

Using a personal trainer and keeping a food diary could work really well for you and it will be money well spent if it leads to a much healthier DangerMouse ;)

btw, my kids and I used to love the Danger Mouse cartoons and in fact recently at my son's place earlier this year I confess to watching some old episodes that he still has on tape.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while and am considering joining you all. After 2 kids I'm ready to lose the baby weight, and started out with a 15-lb success earlier this year. It's back. I fell off the wagon sometime this summer. And while I love my kids, I do NOT love the funky tummy chub that came along with them. I'm a big girl, but I've always had a great waist, and now, not so much. I want it back!

However, (and this is so vain) I'm hesitant to post my weight on the boards. It's probably part and parcel of always being "big" -- I'm 6', and less sensitive about it than I used to be, but still...

What if I do my weigh-ins the way we tell time, in terms of distance from a starting point? (Greenwich time - x hours). Fair enough? So next Wednesday, I'll "weigh in" at my Starting Weight, and go from there.

I'm looking forward to having a support group! I've never had one for my weight before.

I've been lurking on this thread for a while and am considering joining you all. After 2 kids I'm ready to lose the baby weight, and started out with a 15-lb success earlier this year. It's back. I fell off the wagon sometime this summer. And while I love my kids, I do NOT love the funky tummy chub that came along with them. I'm a big girl, but I've always had a great waist, and now, not so much. I want it back!

However, (and this is so vain) I'm hesitant to post my weight on the boards. It's probably part and parcel of always being "big" -- I'm 6', and less sensitive about it than I used to be, but still...

What if I do my weigh-ins the way we tell time, in terms of distance from a starting point? (Greenwich time - x hours). Fair enough? So next Wednesday, I'll "weigh in" at my Starting Weight, and go from there.

I'm looking forward to having a support group! I've never had one for my weight before.

Welcome to the thread. There's no need to state your weight at all or even a final target weight loss. Why don't you state an initial target such as that 15lb you lost and put back on. I also recommend you measure your waist and hips as well, don't post them or even set a target but when you lose inches then do report it.

A good thing to track is your waist to hip ratio so make a note of that now before you start.

Urchina, welcome to the group. First of all, I doubt very much that you could be anywhere near my 368 lbs, so I wouldn't worry too much about posting your weight amongst people whom you don't even personally know. But, on the off chance that is the only obstacle you face to enjoying the support of this great group I would just post your progress; lost 3, backslide 1. or remained the same.

It's not the weight that counts. It's the effort you put into it and how good you feel reporting those losses that really help.

So, you go girl!! Let us know about your progress.

Time for me to get back into the swing of things.

06-16 223 32.7 bmi
06-18 221 31.7
06-25 220.5 31.6
07-2 217 31.1
07-9 217 31.1
07-23 219.5

10-20 219.4

1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
6/25: 193.0 16.0%
7/02: 191.4 15.8%
7/09: 196.0 16.5%
7/16: 193.2 15.9%
7/23: 194.8 16.0%
7/30: 191.8 16.0%
8/06: 190.0 16.0%
8/13: 192.0 15.8%
8/20: 192.6 16.4%
8/27: 194.6 16.2%
9/03: 195.4 17.1%
9/10: 195.6 16.2%
9/17: 195.2 16.7%
9/24: 194.6 16.4%
10/1: 195.8 15.6%
10/8: 198.0 16.9%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Sigh. Haven't weighed in this high in a long time. Well, I'm highly dependent on working out to maintain my weight, and when I can't do so, the weight springs up quickly.

Last Weds, around 9 hours after I posted, I suffered a Grade II shoulder separation. That's where the collarbone partially dislocates from the acromion process of the shoulder blade. No ligament/tendon tearing. Anyhow, pain was pretty intense for a few days, and it'll take a few weeks to heal to the point that I can do the stuff I was doing. Can't do anything athletic without a whole bunch of pain.

Next week I'm on vacation, so I'm sure when I check back in in two weeks, I'll be over 200. Sigh.

10/22: 195.6 17.1%

Well, that was much better than my prediction. Fat percentage isn't anywhere near what I'd like, but I can live with that.

Vacation week involved lots of good food: B&B full breakfasts, and lunches and dinners out. There were also desserts and unhealthy tours with samples (Ben & Jerry's factory, Lake Champlain Chocolates). And no exercise other than walking.

My shoulder is doing much better. There isn't much of any pain doing normal activities, and I can do a good chunk of martial arts workouts. I should be back to my normal routine in a couple of weeks.

Just back from my second session with my trainer. Boy this is kicking my butt. It does show me that I was delusional when I was doing this on my own thinking I was working hard. Session 1 saw me ready to puke after 10 minutes and that is not because she was working me hard, just shows how out of shape I am.

My weight today at the gym was 150lbs however I am not going to use that number as I was fully dressed and I think for consistency I need to weigh on my home scales. I did have my body fat measured and that came in at 29% which is way too high. We have set a target of reducing that body fat to 27% in 4 weeks. My scales are home shows my body fat at 34% so shows how off these things can be.

All time high - 262 (2005)
Recent high - 242 (last April)
07/08/08 - 238.4
08/06/08 - 234.4
09/10/08 - 231.0
10/08/08 - 229.8
10/15/08 - 229.2
10/22/08 - 228.6

First goal - 220
Ultimate goal - 200

Well, I went camping, and I didn't eat too much. But I drank a ton. It was really cold and we had great campfires, so the beer and liquor flowed. Did an 8 mile hike through the mountains, and survived (barely). Now 10 days of intensive being a good boy, then off to see the doc.

Urchina, welcome! Do it however you feel comfortable. We're not too judgemental here, as we all have our issues. But good luck with the tummy. :D

Danger Mouse, you're a braver person than I am. A PT! Keep us informed. Also, just as a suggestion, next time weigh yourself in your clothes before you go in to sort of calibrate the gym scale against your home scale. I used to do that before I went to the doctor, since their scales always seemed to be 5-10 lbs heavier than any other one I tried.

This is a great support group. No judgements, and lots of help. I really appreciate all of you. Thanks. :)

6' 1" Target range 170 - 175.

Highest was 210lb (2002)

07/31 - 174.5 10/15 - 176.5
08/06 - 177 10/22 - 175
08/13 - 176.5
08/20 - 177
08/27 - n/a
09/03 - 176
09/10 - 179
09/17 - 175.5
09/24 - 177
10/01 - 174.5
10/08 - 176

175 this morning. Going away on business for a week or 2 so probably bad news coming in 2 weeks

Just back from my second session with my trainer. Boy this is kicking my butt. It does show me that I was delusional when I was doing this on my own thinking I was working hard. Session 1 saw me ready to puke after 10 minutes and that is not because she was working me hard, just shows how out of shape I am.

This reminds me of my stress tests which we get every few years at work. I had my first at age 40 and ace'd it. Later that year I gave up being a soccer ref which was my only source of real exercise. I still used to do a lot of walking of the dog etc but 5 years later when I did my next stress test I didn't even get as far as needing to jog (I have a long stride). I was completely wiped out, thought I was going to puke, took ages afterwards sitting down trying to recover.

I hope the experience doesn't put you off, I think you are doing great, keep up the good work ;)

Actually I am rather enjoying the experience. 2 hours after I got home this morning, I got a rush of feeling really good about the whole thing. I feel as if finally I might be on the road to somewhere. Without a doubt there is a significant difference between using machines at the Y and doing exercises with free weights using your own core strength.

Harley the right trainer encourages rather than berates however at the same time don't let you slide because you can't be bothered. However when you have paid big bucks believe me it encourages you to be there every appt.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Today, weighed myself and noted it in my own spreadsheet. I'll track it weekly.

Need to measure my hips & waist tonight and track that too.

Because DH's back is on the fritz again I got to take the dog for her walk this morning, and I'll get to do tonight's walk as well. That's about 1 hour (total) of brisk walking. So that's today's exercise. I'm wiped out now, though.

My biggest challenge is (surprise) food -- I have a hard time in the late afternoons with low blood sugar. So today the kids and I had plain popped popcorn and almonds for snack, along with water. My other plan is to take sensible portions and not take seconds. I'll also try to have 1/2 glass of wine every other night, thereby cutting my wine consumption by 75%.

Looking forward to having folks help me keep on track!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Today, weighed myself and noted it in my own spreadsheet. I'll track it weekly.

Need to measure my hips & waist tonight and track that too.

Because DH's back is on the fritz again I got to take the dog for her walk this morning, and I'll get to do tonight's walk as well. That's about 1 hour (total) of brisk walking. So that's today's exercise. I'm wiped out now, though.

My biggest challenge is (surprise) food -- I have a hard time in the late afternoons with low blood sugar. So today the kids and I had plain popped popcorn and almonds for snack, along with water. My other plan is to take sensible portions and not take seconds. I'll also try to have 1/2 glass of wine every other night, thereby cutting my wine consumption by 75%.

Looking forward to having folks help me keep on track!

Helpful hint: use smaller plates/bowls/cups.

Food should always be prepared and served, no bowls of stuff to be mindlessly eaten in the dark while watching TV.

Actually I am rather enjoying the experience. 2 hours after I got home this morning, I got a rush of feeling really good about the whole thing. I feel as if finally I might be on the road to somewhere. Without a doubt there is a significant difference between using machines at the Y and doing exercises with free weights using your own core strength.

Harley the right trainer encourages rather than berates however at the same time don't let you slide because you can't be bothered. However when you have paid big bucks believe me it encourages you to be there every appt.

I agree with you on the free weights. DW and I used machines exclusively at the Y for last few years, but earlier this year we signed up with a personal trainer for 8 sessions and now prefer free weights.

DW, who is ESR, (works 2 days a week) does a great job developing new workout plans every few weeks to keep us motivated. I guess she is now by defacto personal trainer - I certainly would not be as concientious an exerciser without her.

Dangermouse, I can count on one hand the number of sessions I've cancelled with our trainer over the last 2 years. It is just the LAW, we go to those sessions 2x a week. Even if we suck at every other measure of healthy lifestyle, we at least have that butt-kicking every week.

I am glad to see that you are having a positive experience as well. The PT is our only real extravagance, and it is well worth it! Alan, nice that you have one "in house". Last night our trainer's next client after us was his wife--and she makes it very hard for him to yell at her! :)

Alan, nice that you have one "in house". Last night our trainer's next client after us was his wife--and she makes it very hard for him to yell at her! :)

That is hilarious, I would have thought that being a PT to your spouse is a no-no, to be avoided along with giving him/her driving lessons ;)

It is VERY convenient having our PT 2 minutes walk from our apartment. Last week he loaned us a DVD called New York Ballet work out as he knew we liked yoga and used to go regularly to a ballet workout class when we lived in Texas.

I forgot to weigh in before I had breakfast today, however I did weigh afterwards in my pj's and that number shows a drop of 2lbs over my last number.

I had session 5 today with my trainer and have to say I feel fantastic. They are really kicking my butt, but the difference I can see in my body is incredible. My biceps are starting to take shape and I can see a change in my body around the waistline. I feel so motivated to keep going that I might even be willing to work more hours to pay for my PT addiction which is costing me $250 pw.

Awesome, Dangermouse. I am at the same weight, 157, but I started back to the extra two days of exercise class (pole fitness) a week on Monday, so with those kicking back in, that will be 4 days a week of forced butt-kicking and I should be able to get on track with the diet.
Isn't it cool to have real muscle definition in your arms! I love that! no jiggles! :)

Originally Posted by Kronk
1/23: 196.8 17.1% body fat.
(snip ...)
7/30: 191.8 16.0%
8/06: 190.0 16.0%
8/13: 192.0 15.8%
8/20: 192.6 16.4%
8/27: 194.6 16.2%
9/03: 195.4 17.1%
9/10: 195.6 16.2%
9/17: 195.2 16.7%
9/24: 194.6 16.4%
10/1: 195.8 15.6%
10/8: 198.0 16.9%
10/22: 195.6 17.1%
10/29: 196.0 17.1%

Goal: 190.0 15.3%

Knew I forgot to do something. No visible progress this week, but I am feeling better. Finally made it back to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu last night after not going the last four weeks with my shoulder injury. I can do most things in my other martial arts classes, so that's going well. This past Sunday I did interval running (20 sec sprint, 40 sec recovery), which got me feeling woozy by the end of 2 miles. This coming weekend I'm flying out to Oregon for a Hapkido seminar. Hopefully the shoulder holds up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom