Jazzed up REIT income

MooreBonds

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
O has a wide following, and is one of the REIT bellweathers. But it's been very volatile over the past few months in a relatively large price drop.

Which is always good for option premiums (since the risk-free interest rate portion of option prices aren't worth squat with near-zero interest rates)

If you hold O or (like me) sold when it ran up and were looking for a re-entry point, I just sold a Put with a 55 strike price, September expiration, at $2.50/contract.

At the current price of about $55.25 +/-, that's a 4.5% premium for a 4 month period. Annualized, it's 13.5% for locking up my money in an IRA while I wait for expiration. I'm wiling to buy the stock at the current yield, so if it's exercised, it's just a nice juicier dividend for the first 12 months time. If it expires unexercised, then I still have $5500 to play with (either writing another put on O or something else, or buying a preferred).

I also own O. And have also sold puts - June $55 @ 0.90 - to add more if assigned.

A reliable and safe income stream, at 4.6% much better than anything one can get from CDs. But, of course, with the commensurate risk involved.

Moorebonds, what is your opinion on the very negative climate surrounding the Retail & triple net REITs ? Is this Amazon threat credible, or should we be overly concerned? FWIW, I am not concerned as O has a very well established tenant base with no retail-anchored Mall exposure.

FWIW, I am not concerned as O has a very well established tenant base with no retail-anchored Mall exposure.

A majority of O's base is not things that would be displaced by Amazon. Also, as Malls close, the "good" remaining stores have to go somewhere. But, as with all things, I maintain a high level of diversification, so pick a few here and there that might have some more risk, without too much worry...although the relatively lower yield (even after the recent drop) doesn't give you much risk premium, and assumes everything happens smoothly if rates nudge up a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom