Job Burnout and Retirement Fears

Marita40:

A friend I worked with years ago when we were at ARCO in the mid 1980's and facing mass layoffs, had the right attitude. He was of Japanese descent and was interned in California during the second WW (yeah we did that).

He said to me during that layoff period: "Just keep your head down and keep thinning the cabbage and don't look up"

So hang in there and do your work and be silent (if possible). Get the two years over with and move on.

I like that quote aja8888. Perhaps I’ll frame it for my office and it will keep me sane and confuse those trying to make sense of it.

File this one under "Reasons I'll be glad I retired when I did"

It is a curious feature of human nature that the most unpleasant and disturbing experiences make the best stories.

Not, of course, when they are still going on or too recent for the pain to have dissipated. But when they are far enough in the rear view mirror, even miserable times can be remembered in a positive light. They might end up teaching us things about ourselves which we might not have fully appreciated without the lesson.

They might even, in hindsight, become colorful and entertaining and bring a chuckle about the craziness of the world. This isn't to say that you should laugh at every tragedy, although I do find there are moments when the light touch is just what a sufferer needs. But there is no need to allow a rare and fleeting unhappy event to take up permanent residence on your mental couch.

You may find it helpful to compartmentalize such experiences. You can dredge them up at some late time of your choosing if you think they might be interesting, or simply leave them forever stowed away never to be accessed again. Pax vobiscum.

Like you I had a lot of worries about retirement since most of my social life was with co-workers . I retired and basically slept for three months and then I got serious about getting a life . I joined a gym and took classes where I met a lot of women in the same boat . We have become friends and lunch together on Fridays . I also joined a book club and found more friends .There are lots of people like you who are looking for retirement friends just open yourself up to the possibility .

Whether you retire very soon, or wait until 65, start planning that retirement now. There have been a number of different threads here where it seems most of us are introverted. You should do some considerable research into what YOU would want to do once retired.
I don't remember them now, but in the year prior to my own ER I read several non-financial retirement books. I'm married, but I retired 6 years before my DW, so I learned how to have quite a bit of fun doing solo activities. Now is the time for you to do that same research, and once you have that aspect resolved retirement will be something you look forward to, and not just something you fall into because you're no longer working.

I think it is a good idea to take a serious look at my finances, especially with the market doing so well (is it today? haven't looked), and see what might be done in terms of an earlier retirement. I already signed the contract for some major house remodeling to occur this fall, and then there's health care, so that's part of the mix of planning to retire at 65.

+1, if I were in your shoes, I would be looking seriously at retiring before you reach 65, if you can afford to do so. You mentioned earlier that you "really don't care much anymore" about the job, which makes me think that these next two years is going to be pretty miserable for you, if you decide to stay.
Life is too short to spend two years at a job you'd really rather not be doing, especially at your age. You really do need to spend some time thinking about how you would spend your time in retirement, though. Isn't there something you are passionate about, that you'd like to spend more time doing/exploring? I had so many things I wanted to do after I retired, that it's a little hard for me to grasp how someone has trouble envisioning how to spend their time in retirement. To me, retirement meant the freedom to do whatever I want, whenever I want. No more performance reviews, no more putting up with nonsense at work.....you are your own boss, maybe for the first time in your life. To me, that is priceless........

Marita, I was really concerned about what to do in retirement for many years. I hit the FI point and did a couple more years to plan on what to do in retirement. Finally I took the plunge and it has taken me a while to adjust. My advice on what to do is all about me so add a big helping of doubt to this

1) make a but of a routine. I do grocery shopping on each Saturday and get some taco hell for a lunch. I also mow my lawn each Wed or Thursday when in town. I have other bits of routine like gym with couple retired folks and lunch with friends about every 2 weeks. they give me something I told myself to do. I’m the boss here and can be changed when boss agrees :)

2) Try different things you used to like or interest you. You can try this now while still working.

3) Once you retire, get out of house regularly since you are by your self. For me sitting in the house watching tv or reading can get me depressed. You will meet new people and make new friends. You don’t have to drop work friends but they will be working when you want to do something. One movie house here has $5 movies each Tuesday. You could meet a new friend and do movie Tuesdays or every other Tuesday. Just a thought. You can go to more sport events on campus if that is your thing. You can socialize with old friends and meet new ones both here.

Too many different things to try and list and these are my ideas. Try your own ones, or pretend these are yours till you get some better ideas. Retirement for me has been a big change, but I’m really glad I didn’t follow my original idea and work much longer. I’m still figuring out my retirement but these have helped me.

It takes some work, like any great thing does. Embrace it and have a great time. Also if you focus on what you will do in 2 years, time will fly by and be much easier to do the dreaded JOB :) you will do great !!

I guess if you didn't notice I have a little pity party going on right now. I've had some health issues recently (surgery) that cause me daily amounts of pain and lack of sleep, and I'm sure if I could see myself objectively I'd understand this was coming into play. Any advice or encouragement is welcome to poor pitiful me.
We share a few experiences, and I'd feel much as you do. I have a half year or so remaining in the salt mines. One thing that helped was less work, but I know you need to continue a bit longer, and may need the benefit structure.

Find a protected bunker and stay in there a few days. Watch movies, turn off phone, visit a winery. Whatever it takes, you will persevere and get to 65 intact.

I think it is a good idea to take a serious look at my finances, especially with the market doing so well (is it today? haven't looked), and see what might be done in terms of an earlier retirement.

+1. You should go to Meetup.com and see if there are some groups that you might like to join for activities.

I can honestly say that I didn't plan to retire at 55. 20+ years ago, I wan't even thinking about retirement until AT&T told those eligible (I had 30+ years) that they'd add a year's salary to the retirement $$$ if we left early. I turned 55 in the Spring, saw the offer, talked with my better half and I was gone in December. I took the cash instead of the company's monthly dole and I found someone to manage it. Of all the companies I contacted, the response was "We'll see you in our office on " except for one guy who said "Where can I meet you?" and came to my work location at lunch. Can you guess which one's still managing my IRA? The outlook varies by company and person, as other people in his company didn't all have that outlook. Now might be the time to look for a financial advisor.

What would make you happy, pleased or give you a little smile if it was your choice of things to do tomorrow - and you didn't have to set the alarm clock? You're the only one who can answer that, although you might know a person or two who knows you well enough to say "You've always talked about ....."

My plans then? Go back to college and finish the degree I never quite had time to finish before (working odd hours, some traveling, etc).

Did the plans work out? Better than I expected ;-) I'd no sooner gotten registered at the university than another department of the former company called and asked if I'd do some work on a contract basis. The manager I'd be working for was willing to do flexible hours so I could still be in class (nice to be wanted ;-).

That lasted a year or so (at similar or better take home) and then the company got rid of ALL contractors (not an intelligent move, but corporate wasn't always intelligent). While we had other income sources, the company that handled the paperwork for AT&T contractors wanted me to be their laptop & printer depot for their far-flung mobile workforce (international consulting company). I did that for a couple of years and then a friend asked if I could be the go-between to translate military subject matter expert (SME) words into computerese. Did that for a year or two until personnel problems in that company lost the military contract. I was terminated so a friend of the manager could be full time "because she has a child" - that doesn't work when the person coming into the job is knowledgeable of neither the project nor the languages being used.

Eventually, I reached the age of "Must take from your IRA" and since then I've been exploring things of interest - built a solar-charged generator for the frequent power outages we have so I'm not out in the dark, a thunderstorm or 7 inches of snow to start a gas generator. I've also started writing some post apocalyptic world (PAW) fiction and have published one book that's sold 1700 copies so far - not bad in a niche market. It's listed in the "Creative ERs" section.

Back
Top Bottom