Job titles and FIRE

hustler

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello everyone!
I couldn’t find a thread on this topic so decided to open a new one.

I am the guy in my late 20’s and I’ve already managed to get financially independent and retired early.

As I would like to practice a stealth wealth, when I tell people I quit my job and don’t do anything at the moment, it raises a lot of eyebrows and some of them assume I became wealthy so I don’t have to work anymore.

Therefore, I need an advice on what I could tell to people I do for a living so that they would not question either my job (incl. asking for professional services) nor my wealth status.

Thanks a lot in advance!

I'm looking forward to being able to say it this way.

8b458264-e9bb-4ed8-b431-1a99f0aeadf8_text.gif

financial manager. It's the truth

This ^
Short,Simple. If they ask further,or who you work for or even if you could help them, you can say you are self employed, and thanks but sorry, I have my max clientele now.

I say “unemployed”.

After a workout was in the jacuzzi at the gym mid-week and mid-day as the ladies Aqua aerobics class wrapped up. 1/2 dozen moms joined me in the Jacuzzi to warm back up.

One asked what I did for a living that allows me to hang out at the gym. Instead of saying “retired” I simply said “unemployed” … and that ended their interest in me and my career.

I am the guy in my late 20’s and I’ve already managed to get financially independent and retired early.

Retired in your late 20s? Would you mind sharing what your occupation was prior to your early retirement? If it was, say, something in finance, then you could say to people "I'm a freelance financial consultant." It is was something in IT or technology, you could say "I'm a freelance technology consultant." And so on. The beauty of this kind of response is that if they ask any follow-up questions, you can feel confident chatting with them about it for a few minutes.

As someone who FIREd in my mid 40s, I would urge you to spend a lot of time introspecting about how you're going to spend all your newfound free time. The social aspects of ultra-early FIRE can be particularly tricky.

I also would love to hear your success story and very well done. I would say I'm unemployed.

On parole.

Thank you all for great comments and the feedback so far!

I achieved to be FIREd through cryptocurrencies, and many people know I've been active in the crypto field for years, but when I was quitting my official job I didn't state it as the official reason of my resignation. Very few people incl. my close family know the real reason why I resigned.

Now that I am unemployed for over 2 months, many people simply assume I made lots of money trading cryptocurrencies which I try to deny by saying I am simply taking a break before finding a new job. Therefore, I would like to come up with a "made-up" profession and the story behind it for people when they start asking questions about what I do for a living.

Sometimes I'm unemployed, sometimes retired, sometimes on a sabbatical, sometimes I deflect the question. Depends on the audience and my mood. I prefer to be honest and usually can hint as to my situation without labeling it. Those that get it, get it.

I never liked my "career;" it was a means to an end, and am well experienced in deflecting "what do you do" questions. I run, I bike, I paint, I cook, I hike, I occasionally volunteer, I travel and tend to answer, "what do you like to do?" when asked what I do. Rarely do people ask how you earn money directly... Now that I'm FI, I make money by being passive and doing nothing!

Asset manager? Wealth manager? (you don't have to disclose that it is your own personal assets or wealth that you are managing).

Day trader? Speculator?

I think unemployed/taking a break will work for now... you can always say that you made some money trading cryptocurrencies and decided to use the gains to take a mental health break from work. You don't have to say how long you plan to take a break for or that you intend it to be forever :dance:... and it conveniently happens to be the truth.

Now that I am unemployed for over 2 months, many people simply assume I made lots of money trading cryptocurrencies which I try to deny by saying I am simply taking a break before finding a new job. Therefore, I would like to come up with a "made-up" profession and the story behind it for people when they start asking questions about what I do for a living.

You definitely want to avoid telling people you got rich trading cryptocurrencies in your 20s. The last thing you want is for your friends, family, and new acquaintances to assume you're made of money and start to feel resentful when you want to split the tab at dinner instead of simply paying for the whole thing yourself. There are countless ways that relationships can be damaged, and even ruined, by these kinds of perceptions. I totally agree with your plan of coming up with a "fake" profession to tell people about when they ask. It's one thing to be 50 and retired early, entirely another to be rich enough to be 20-something and retired.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with "freelance financial consultant". That's vague enough so that you can say almost anything finance/investment related and make it sound plausible.

Thank you all for great comments and the feedback so far!

I achieved to be FIREd through cryptocurrencies, and many people know I've been active in the crypto field for years, but when I was quitting my official job I didn't state it as the official reason of my resignation. Very few people incl. my close family know the real reason why I resigned.

You don't want to admit "called in rich"? I understand. I left at 56 and the few times I was asked I would say consulting. It's a good time to say your burnt-out and considering your options. That's what my niece said when she left work at 40, 10 years later nobody asks. Your feeling is normal and will leave before you know it.

You definitely want to avoid telling people you got rich trading cryptocurrencies in your 20s. The last thing you want is for your friends, family, and new acquaintances to assume you're made of money and start to feel resentful when you want to split the tab at dinner instead of simply paying for the whole thing yourself. There are countless ways that relationships can be damaged, and even ruined, by these kinds of perceptions. I totally agree with your plan of coming up with a "fake" profession to tell people about when they ask. It's one thing to be 50 and retired early, entirely another to be rich enough to be 20-something and retired.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with "freelance financial consultant". That's vague enough so that you can say almost anything finance/investment related and make it sound plausible.

Exactly, that is my biggest concern at the moment. I am afraid my friends would change the attitude towards me and that I might become a target for criminals, etc.
As a matter of fact, even my girlfriend doesn't know I am FIREd as I am afraid it might mess things up between us and I would constantly doubt if she is with me because of the money or not.

I am even thinking of finding a job now just to clear all the doubts that I am FIREd and sticking to it for a year or so.

I say I'm consulting. I wasn't really for the first year and a half, but I actually am consulting part time now.

Feral Cube Rat

Personal Financial Adviser for High Net Worth Individual

Consultant for Exclusive Clientele

After asking a number of pressing questions to an administrator of a LTC faciility for DM, she asked what I do for a living. My simple answer - "nothing".

While Financial Manager is fine, it might invite additional questions. I find using a job title that is perceived to be dull and boring, like Accountant, shuts people right up. Most folks don’t have ANY interest in learning more about debits and credits.

While Financial Manager is fine, it might invite additional questions. I find using a job title that is perceived to be dull and boring, like Accountant, shuts people right up. Most folks don’t have ANY interest in learning more about debits and credits.

Exactly what I am thinking. If I state I am financial/wealth manager or consultant, people would definitely want to know more. I need to find some boring and dull job title that people in my surroundings would also believe into.

Independent contractor (or consultant). Work has been slow...real slow...<since I haven't been looking>

Exactly what I am thinking. If I state I am financial/wealth manager or consultant, people would definitely want to know more. I need to find some boring and dull job title that people in my surroundings would also believe into.

Insurance actuary who has a sweet deal working from home. I'm fairly certain no one wants to know more details about that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom