Jogging / walking etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am actually unconcerned that the people I meet while I am out walking / jogging / running / cycling do not maintain a distance of more than 6 feet from me.

The main reasons are that there are no new confirmed cases in my neighborhoods, I come across only one or two people per hour, and we don't spend more than one or two seconds near each other anyways. I am not wearing a mask and I have not seen anyone else wear a mask in the outdoors.

Of course, maybe your neighborhood is a hot bed of confirmed cases and people should behave differently. Whether you know if your neighborhood is a hot bed could be unknown because some places are lying about that.

Why you’re unlikely to get the coronavirus from runners or cyclists:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/...QqCP6RZFWfswBzqSZson29ZcRYM_pS9xt5AjGtkXYt020

Fortunately, increasing your distance, decreasing the duration of your exposure, and improving the ventilation of the air around you can all lower your risk. And being outdoors generally helps you do all three.

“The risks of virus transmissibility in the air outdoors is likely quite low in those contexts, although this risk hasn’t been definitively measured,” Rasmussen said. “Outside, things like sunlight, wind, rain, ambient temperature, and humidity can affect virus infectivity and transmissibility, so while we can’t say there’s zero risk, it’s likely low unless you are engaging in activities as part of a large crowd (such as a protest). Solitary outdoor exercise is likely low-risk.”

I'm going to respectfully disagree. You are entitled to keep as much space as you want between yourself and others, but I don't think etiquette requires that others keep at least six feet away from you.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. Corona etiquette DOES require the six foot spacing.

I agree. As long as the doctors and scientists tell us the virus is still running around wild with nothing to rein it in, we owe this small concession (6-foot spacing) to one another if at all possible.

And the more people who comply, the better the odds are likely to be for everybody.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. Corona etiquette DOES require the six foot spacing.

People are too sensitive.

Try to give room when possible and convenient. When not-just go by and let both groups go about their activity of choice.

DW and I have been cycling now and then with 1 or 2 friends. We wear masks at all times, ride in a widely spaced "Corona-ton" and give other riders, runners, pedestrians a wide berth. My technique is to watch traffic and time my passing of others to coincide with an interval with no cars, and swing out well into the traffic lane to avoid getting close to someone else on the road or sidewalk. If necessary I'll slow or stop to wait for space to do this.

On a ride today we came across many other walkers, runners, cyclists. Much to my disappointment only two (out of perhaps 30) wore masks. As mentioned earlier I try to give everyone else an ample berth and, in the few cases where we were constrained to a narrow path, most of those we encountered were cooperative and walked or rode to one edge of the path as I veered to the other and we passed by quickly.

The one exception was an older jogger (unmasked, of course) who insisted on running against traffic down the center of the marked bike lane on a major road - while a nice wide sidewalk sat unoccupied 6 feet to his left. As I approached him I slowed, said "excuse me" and he just kept running straight toward me. I stopped, said "excuse me" again and gestured toward the sidewalk. He continued running toward me and I just rode all the way out into the traffic lanes of the 4 lane thoroughfare to avoid him. Sure hope he was enjoying his freedom.

Last edited:
People are too sensitive.

Try to give room when possible and convenient. When not-just go by and let both groups go about their activity of choice.

+1, it’s really not that hard a concept. Stop being offended by everything.

Why you’re unlikely to get the coronavirus from runners or cyclists:

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/...QqCP6RZFWfswBzqSZson29ZcRYM_pS9xt5AjGtkXYt020

Fortunately, increasing your distance, decreasing the duration of your exposure, and improving the ventilation of the air around you can all lower your risk. And being outdoors generally helps you do all three.

“The risks of virus transmissibility in the air outdoors is likely quite low in those contexts, although this risk hasn’t been definitively measured,” Rasmussen said. “Outside, things like sunlight, wind, rain, ambient temperature, and humidity can affect virus infectivity and transmissibility, so while we can’t say there’s zero risk, it’s likely low unless you are engaging in activities as part of a large crowd (such as a protest). Solitary outdoor exercise is likely low-risk.”

I dunno. The same article did say -

"So, how worried should you be that any time you go outside, you’ll contract coronavirus from a fellow pedestrian, runner, or cyclist who happens to exhale as they pass by?

The answer is, you probably don’t need to freak out about it. As long as you’re maintaining at least 6 feet of distance from other people and you’re not in a high-risk group, you’re engaged in a very low-risk activity, particularly if you and others are wearing masks."

The answer is, you probably don’t need to freak out about it. As long as you’re maintaining at least 6 feet of distance from other people and you’re not in a high-risk group, you’re engaged in a very low-risk activity, particularly if you and others are wearing masks."

Was our friend rayinpenn wearing a mask? Inquiring minds want to know. I think that wearing a mask outdoors on a walk will get more respect.

I was out on my exercise walk listening to a podcast bothering no one when the jogger passed me. He ran close by and I was immediately incensed by how inconsiderate he was. I don’t care what his position is on the virus and distancing is - mine is stay at least 6 feet away. It’s a minor inconvenience to extend this courtesy - I often switch sides of the street to give people space. No bid deal I often get a thank you.. some people want their space and I appreciate that. It spoiled my mood next time I’ll give him a taste of my crotchety old man yell.

So joggers here’s a little bit etiquette going forward give walkers / joggers a wide berth we will appreciate it.

You've definitely hit a nerve with me. I feel I do my part to be mindful of where people are (relative to me) particularly with COVID-19 on our minds. We cross the street if necessary, stop in a driveway to let people pass. Children seem oblivious to the idea of physical distancing and their parents often do nothing to remind the children of the issue.

Long before any virus concerns, DW and I make it a point to walk single file when people are approaching on the sidewalk. Of course with current health concerns we step off the sidewalk and move over as needed.

Back to the jogger... I went out to the mailbox the other day, looked both ways before stepping up to the mailbox. Spent a moment unlocking the mailbox and bent down to peer in. As I straightened up with the mail in my hand a jogger ran by from my blind side and was so close he brushed my elbow. Regardless of any physical distancing issues I was pissed and gave him a piece of my mind as he ran past. He didn't stop, didn't even pause - just kept running!

I have noticed that if I am walking or riding my bike and someone gets too close to me if I start coughing they back away immediately.

DW and I do our morning walk around the neighborhood each morning. I carry a 3 feet long umbrella with me. Stretching out from my arm makes a 6 feet long ruler. I make a point of waving and walking it like a cane, Dick Van Dyke style. No one has come close in less than 10 feet from us yet.

DW and I do our morning walk around the neighborhood each morning. I carry a 3 feet long umbrella with me. Stretching out from my arm makes a 6 feet long ruler. I make a point of waving and walking it like a cane, Dick Van Dyke style. No one has come close in less than 10 feet from us yet.

Good idea. I always take a hiking stick when I’m hiking. But I go stickless when I walk around the neighborhood. I’ll have to try my Osage stick walking around the neighborhood - I’m sure it will clear a path.

Good idea. I always take a hiking stick when I’m hiking. But I go stickless when I walk around the neighborhood. I’ll have to try my Osage stick walking around the neighborhood - I’m sure it will clear a path.
Try spinning it like a baton - that really makes them back off, even cars. :LOL:

Ugh, I get SO irritated with runners and cyclists who don’t seem to care at all about safety during this pandemic. I stopped going on one of my favorite walks because it is always loaded with runners who have no respect for my safety. The trail is paved and a good eight feet wide in most places, and I always walk on the far right side. I’ll even hop off the trail if people are coming in the opposite direction and I feel they are too close. But I’m constantly confronted with walkers who don’t walk-in single file and take up more than half of the pathway. At least I have time to move away from them. But the runners are awful. So many of them are loudly huffing and puffing, and even coughing and spitting. I can hear them coming up from behind me and won’t even put two feet of distance between us when they pass. I’ve had some that cough and spit right when they are near me. I will try to hold my breath when I see joggers approach, and I’ll also hide my face with my shirt til they pass.

Bicyclists are just as bad but at least they fly by so I’m not around them for quite as long. But again, so many pass within two feet or less. On my last weekend walk on the trail, there was a group of five twenty-something cyclists, all in a tight formation, clearly not related, that were flying by. Again, at least two of them were within a couple of feet of me. The trail was crowded so they were weaving around people. They turned around and headed back my way, and they were going so fast, weaving around the crowds, that one of them nearly knocked me over. This idiot was literally three inches away from me, and if I hadn’t moved away quickly, he would have run into me. I yelled an expletive, I was so angry.

Runners and cyclists have a right to be there, of course, but I just don’t understand why so many of them disregard safety and have no respect for others around them.

They get in a mental and physical zone where others are just obstacles. Years ago, I used to walk for exercise in a community that had a beautiful woods trail system. Runners regularly passed within inches, panting and spraying sweat and saliva. I would hear the pounding feet and try to get into the trail verge before the juggernauts crashed through. It was as if they did not even see me; and back then I was highly "visible."

At the invisible stage of life, it's just that much worse.

U
Runners and cyclists have a right to be there, of course, but I just don’t understand why so many of them disregard safety and have no respect for others around them.

Wow Poopycat that is awful. I have not seen anything like that where I walk and bike. It sounds like people are doing this intentionally to scare you. What awful people. I hope you can find a safer place to walk.

” it’s likely low unless you are engaging in activities as part of a large crowd (such as a protest). Solitary outdoor exercise is likely low-risk.”

Hmmm so what you are saying that the risk that I could catch a disease where I could die gasping for every breath is low., And your not really sure how low it is.

I say even at low I don’t want to risk it. As an American you can do what you want AS LONG AS IT DOESNT INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS. Deliberately not giving space is a selfish, despicable act.

Last edited:
Any time we go for a walk other people always maintain distance if we haven't first.

+1, it’s really not that hard a concept. Stop being offended by everything.

Wow I don’t want to risk catching a disease where, because of my age there is a high possibility I could die gasping for my last breath and your talking about being overly sensitive?

You’re kidding right? I have witnessed such an end and I can tell you even deeply medicated it was horrible.

Thomas Payne put forth a fundamental rule of freedom 200 years ago: You are free to do what you want AS LONG AS IT DOESN’T INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS.

Deliberately not giving space is a selfish, despicable act.

It’s an easy concept too.

Last edited:
Yes. Again, my general area may be different than yours, but here is a fairly large metropolis that gradually fades from heavy suburban to rural. There are lots of 45 and 50 (and even a few 55) mph roads and quite a lot of cyclists, including teams/groups that train together. I treat a solo or group that I want to pass as if they were a slow-moving SUV, especially if I am coming up at a larger speed differential and I'm not sure if they are aware of me yet. If I could safely pass that "SUV", then I do. If not, then I wait until I can.

The SUV rule should provide more than enough clearance for normal meandering (which can happen just from effort/fatigue, avoiding glass/rocks, cross wind, etc). If they are swerving randomly more than that, I dunno what to say! :facepalm: Thankfully, around here I've never encountered extended unawareness like that -- only sometimes when I first come up, especially if there isn't a lot of car traffic.

Another interesting area of local contention is the many multi-use paths. These are (usually) 6-8 ft wide paved paths that often parallel roads. Those are 100% the proper place for groups of 1-4 casual cyclists (typically going 5-12ish mph). Among others, kids of all ages use them to get around to friends' houses or to pools. They are not, however, appropriate for more serious road cycling where 20-25mph steady is common. In at least some areas here, there's a 15mph speed limit on the paths for just this reason.

Even if the cyclists are doing 10-15 mph under the speed limit?

Mine is that they were in the bike lane, doing a speed where a car driver would legitimately expect to be able to pass, and suddenly...they're not. That seems like an overly risky interpretation of their rights.

Last edited:
Those who compete at any level have to train and practice drafting (except, obviously, events like triathlons where drafting isn't allowed). It also allows riding faster than any one individual would be able to over the same time/distance.

It's also more complicated than that. On a two-lane road without a bike lane, riding single file and close to the right-hand edge line means that every single ride, some impatient drivers will pass the cyclists even with oncoming traffic. That's dangerous to the two cars involved and all the cyclists. Riding two or more abreast and more in the lane requires cars coming up from behind to pass in a safe and legal manner -- with sufficient space -- as if the cyclists were another car.

Who gives a s*** about the energy savings. Single file and live.

As an American you can do what you want AS LONG AS IT DOESNT INFRINGE ON THE RIGHTS OF OTHERS. Deliberately not giving space is a shellfish, despicable act.
It's arguable whether etiquette requires everyone to maintain six feet of separation from everyone else, but you do not have the right to six feet of separation from other people in public places. A non-existent right cannot be enforced.

Last edited:
I discovered something that works 100% of the time. I would see a group of talkers or runners coming towards me, fast. No way are they going to move out of the way, seem to be inconsiderate of distancing. I start coughing. They suddenly veer off to a wide distance away from me. BTW it is a fake cough, but it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom