Jogging / walking etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention maligning of molluscs, grumpy gainsaying of gastropods, and belittling of bivalves!

I’m offended by your repeated aspersions against crustaceans.

As a runner (street, not sidewalk) I'm often in a bit of a zone. I'm also moving faster than the walker.

A walker has more time that I do to see me coming and get out of the way. Of course I will if I see them first, but with my head down plodding along with my thoughts I'm not always expecting a walking pedestrian in the street too.

I don't run on narrow paths where others walk. Sometimes I run at my park, it's not uncommon to have to pass two walkers who decided to take up 6 feet walking abreast on an 8 foot wide path. Or a small child who has no concept of distance and can't do a straight line yet on their new bike anyway. I hug the edge and step into grass if I have to.

I don't think anyone here is going to get sick by a coming within a foot of someone for a split second. If someone is that worried, then they really should find a place with less humans.

I don't think anyone here is going to get sick by a coming within a foot of someone for a split second. If someone is that worried, then they really should find a place with less humans.
I recall a few major life changes happening in a split second. A fall that put me in a full leg cast for 6 months. That took approx a second. A car accident that that caused months of physical therapy. And when my front bike wheel hit a handicapped curb, flipped me and I passed out with a major concussion, days in the hospital, a lump the size of an orange on my head. I think a sneeze takes about a second.

That's the salient point IMO. Ideally we'd all wear masks and practice physical distancing at all times. When we're out well over half the people we see seem to, but there will always be folks who don't for a variety of reasons. If you're "immediately incensed by how inconsiderate he was" when someone passes you momentarily, you're going to be "incensed" every day for a while. Going to a grocery store is more dangerous at this time. And you are just as responsible to distance from others as they are from you...

Last edited:
Hmmm so what you are saying that the risk that I could catch a disease where I could die gasping for every breath is low., And your not really sure how low it is.

” it’s likely low unless you are engaging in activities as part of a large crowd (such as a protest). Solitary outdoor exercise is likely low-risk.”

Did you read the article Ray? Those are not *my* words but those of the author who wrote the piece.

And as the bolded text indicates, solitary outdoor exercise is likely low risk. The author also goes on to state that risk is further mitigated by those who practice social distancing and wearing a mask.

I both walk and bicycle the local section if the Erie canal and the tow path is 8 to 12 feet wide. When walking I've been driving out three extra miles to a less busy area as there are way more folks using the trail. Cycling I've been heading out to the rural area keeping a bit more alert that first 3 miles.
People are diffinatly touchier. I got the stink eye from a pair of women when I slowed way down and followed them at a distance as another cyclist was heading the other way and I could not safely pass and keep 6 feet away. I never got within 10 feet except when I passed as they were strolling side by side and didn't make an effort to move right. Somehow my being considerate of their safety was annoying them.
Coming back, I ran into my pet peeve. Three women walking abreast taking up the majority of the trail oblivious to everything but their conversation made no effort to create enough room to pass safely.
We all need to be a little more patient and give each other a bit more personal space. Also realise 6' is a new thing and people will accidently violate the rule.

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

From the article:

"Social distancing rules are really to protect you with brief exposures or outdoor exposures. In these situations there is not enough time to achieve the infectious viral load when you are standing 6 feet apart or where wind and the infinite outdoor space for viral dilution reduces viral load. The effects of sunlight, heat, and humidity on viral survival, all serve to minimize the risk to everyone when outside.

If I am outside, and I walk past someone, remember it is “dose and time” needed for infection. You would have to be in their airstream for 5+ minutes for a chance of infection. While joggers may be releasing more virus due to deep breathing, remember the exposure time is also less due to their speed. Please do maintain physical distance, but the risk of infection in these scenarios are low.

As we are allowed to move around our communities more freely and be in contact with more people in more places more regularly, the risks to ourselves and our family are significant. Even if you are gung-ho for reopening and resuming business as usual, do your part and wear a mask to reduce what you release into the environment."

I both walk and bicycle the local section if the Erie canal and the tow path is 8 to 12 feet wide. When walking I've been driving out three extra miles to a less busy area as there are way more folks using the trail. Cycling I've been heading out to the rural area keeping a bit more alert that first 3 miles.
People are diffinatly touchier. I got the stink eye from a pair of women when I slowed way down and followed them at a distance as another cyclist was heading the other way and I could not safely pass and keep 6 feet away. I never got within 10 feet except when I passed as they were strolling side by side and didn't make an effort to move right. Somehow my being considerate of their safety was annoying them.
Coming back, I ran into my pet peeve. Three women walking abreast taking up the majority of the trail oblivious to everything but their conversation made no effort to create enough room to pass safely.
We all need to be a little more patient and give each other a bit more personal space. Also realise 6' is a new thing and people will accidently violate the rule.
We walk 5-6 days a week in our neighborhood and local parks, and we find it easier to avoid others and not worry about whether they do or not. There were asshats before SARS2, and there always will be...life's way too short. If someone happens to pass right by us, the risk is trivial. There are much riskier exposures, indoors, most of us are facing all the time these days...

I only go out running and cycling now in the dark when there are fewer people. Last night's run was particularly glorious with the stars, the fox, the 2 cats, the 2 rats, a huge orb weaver spinning right in the path. Unfortunately, I wasn't completely alone as some dog walkers and some walkers ALL WITH NO LIGHTS were out as well. Since I was lighted up everybody else got out of my way. No speaking nor warnings needed. They could see me coming.

Those eyes glowing back at you are particularly spectacular. The smallest and brightest are all the wolf spiders EVERYWHERE on the ground. The widest were the dogs. Rats are particularly interesting. Furtive is the word. While cats hold their ground. Armadillos just don't seem to care what is going on around them. Possums have those tails. And I won't talk about the skunks or raccoons.

Last edited:
There were asshats before SARS2, and there always will be...life's way too short. If someone happens to pass right by us, the risk is trivial. There are much riskier exposures, indoors, most of us are facing all the time these days...

+1

Speaking for myself, if I couldn't get out for daily bicycle rides, depression would pose a far greater risk than COVID.

In fact, I'm at greater risk of being injured in a bicycle accident due to the inconsiderations and recklessness of others than I would be contracting a virus from passing runners, walkers and cyclists.

In fact, I'm at greater risk of being injured in a bicycle accident due to the inconsiderations and recklessness of others than I would be contracting a virus from passing runners, walkers and cyclists.

+1

Last edited:
I only go out running and cycling now in the dark when there are fewer people. Last night's run was particularly glorious with the stars, the fox, the 2 cats, the 2 rats, a huge orb weaver spinning right in the path. Unfortunately, I wasn't completely alone as some dog walkers and some walkers ALL WITH NO LIGHTS were out as well. Since I was lighted up everybody else got out of my way. No speaking nor warnings needed. They could see me coming.

Those eyes glowing back at you are particularly spectacular. The smallest and brightest are all the wolf spiders EVERYWHERE on the ground. The widest were the dogs. Rats are particularly interesting. Furtive is the word. While cats hold their ground. Armadillos just don't seem to care what is going on around them. Possums have those tails. And I won't talk about the skunks or raccoons.
That sounds wonderful. Coyote are becoming bold in our area. As much as we complain about the Canadian Geese population, the coyotes are loving it. Nature is essential!

I would love to ban those extending dog leashes. The other day somebody's little pooch dashed in front of me extending the trip line just as I was about to step. Had I been looking another direction I would have hit the ground.
Very inconsiderate.

Almost every morning, I pass a lady attempting to walk two border collies on those extendable leashes. She seems focused more on her electronic device that is carried in her free hand and also wears earbuds and must have the music on loud enough that she can't hear me signal as I approach. The dogs go bonkers every time they see another person. Fortunately, I can give her a very wide berth when passing by riding outside the bike lane and into the street itself.

Wow Poopycat that is awful. I have not seen anything like that where I walk and bike. It sounds like people are doing this intentionally to scare you. What awful people. I hope you can find a safer place to walk.

I don’t think they are intentionally trying to scare me. I just think that where I live, many people aren’t as scared of this virus as they should be. And the joggers/cyclists are largely healthy and in an age group
where they think getting seriously ill isn’t all that likely.

I remember another group of five guys, all in their early 20’s, who were running in a pack and came within a couple feet of me. I moved over and covered my face, and one of the guys looked back and laughed, and told his friends who also looked back. Like I was the idiot.

Another time, I heard a rollerblader across the street from me coughing away. I walked away as quickly as I could and hoped he would go the other direction. Nope. Heard him approaching, coughing away. I really thought that was it for me.

I don’t think they are intentionally trying to scare me. I just think that where I live, many people aren’t as scared of this virus as they should be. And the joggers/cyclists are largely healthy and in an age group
where they think getting seriously ill isn’t all that likely.

I remember another group of five guys, all in their early 20’s, who were running in a pack and came within a couple feet of me. I moved over and covered my face, and one of the guys looked back and laughed, and told his friends who also looked back. Like I was the idiot.

Another time, I heard a rollerblader across the street from me coughing away. I walked away as quickly as I could and hoped he would go the other direction. Nope. Heard him approaching, coughing away. I really thought that was it for me.

It's The American Way. I'm gonna do what I want and what are you gonna do about it? "Bottom line" thinking. It's all "My freedom is what counts. If it kills you, hey, that's your freedom." I pretty much stopped engaging this world about 20 years ago. Was just no longer worth it.

” it’s likely low unless you are engaging in activities as part of a large crowd (such as a protest). Solitary outdoor exercise is likely low-risk.”

Hmmm “likely”? My point - not coming near me drops the risk to zero. It’s is a small courtesy.

Those who compete at any level have to train and practice drafting (except, obviously, events like triathlons where drafting isn't allowed). It also allows riding faster than any one individual would be able to over the same time/distance.

It's also more complicated than that. On a two-lane road without a bike lane, riding single file and close to the right-hand edge line means that every single ride, some impatient drivers will pass the cyclists even with oncoming traffic. That's dangerous to the two cars involved and all the cyclists. Riding two or more abreast and more in the lane requires cars coming up from behind to pass in a safe and legal manner -- with sufficient space -- as if the cyclists were another car.

When I was speaking of single file, I meant on a multi-use trail when passing others. Your method on the road is appropriate.

Hmmm “likely”? My point - not coming near me drops the risk to zero. It’s is a small courtesy.

Precisely. It's a courtesy that you would appreciate. But not something that you have a right to.

How’s the other persons obligation different than yours? You can stay away if it’s important to you, easy enough. And your risk with all other activities in the current SARS2 world are already zero, it’s just joggers passing close by that you need to eliminate?

Last edited:

It almost seems as though what you are looking for is something closer to a no risk proposition when it comes to venturing outdoors for your exercise. Based upon your expectations Ray, you probably need to adjust your schedule and/or locale for outdoor activities.

There are plenty of other hazards out there, as well. Personally, I'm more concerned about my safety crossing the street as a pedestrian then I am contracting a virus from a passing walker, jogger or cyclist.

I bike as much as I can since walking causes pain. Most of the bike ride is on trails but some street. If I am passing someone on the street I look over my shoulder and if clear I pass well to the persons left, as much as reasonably possible. When on the trail I often will have to pass within just a couple feet of another person. I will not go off trail to accomodate someone who is taking up too much space. I will not hesitate to speak up if someone is blocking the trail rather than staying on the right half as required when not passing. I'll be nice about it at first but then I will say 'excuse me' in a tone that makes it clear they are not where they need to be. Pretty much every day I ride I say "right half of the trail" at least once to someone who isn't where they are required to be. Really shouldn't be using the trail if you don't know the rules.

We walk 5-6 days a week in our neighborhood and local parks, and we find it easier to avoid others and not worry about whether they do or not. There were asshats before SARS2, and there always will be...life's way too short. If someone happens to pass right by us, the risk is trivial. There are much riskier exposures, indoors, most of us are facing all the time these days...
There is a higher percentage of asshats today. I blame the success of anti-smoking and the "click it or ticket" programs.

It almost seems as though what you are looking for is something closer to a no risk proposition when it comes to venturing outdoors for your exercise. Based upon your expectations Ray, you probably need to adjust your schedule and/or locale for outdoor activities.

There are plenty of other hazards out there, as well. Personally, I'm more concerned about my safety crossing the street as a pedestrian then I am contracting a virus from a passing walker, jogger or cyclist.

Maybe OP should consider purchasing a treadmill for his home or garage. Can get all the walking in he wants in an isolated manner he desires. Seems like a practical solution.

I'm going to respectfully disagree. You are entitled to keep as much space as you want between yourself and others, but I don't think etiquette requires that others keep at least six feet away from you.

+1

I can control my actions, but not the actions of others. If someone expects the other person to move aside, then no one ever moves aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom