Joining from Hong Kong and new with this early retirement thing

Moscyn

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm not retired yet but a number of my family members and friends are and most of them are younger than me (I'm going to 50 next year). Thought I'll check out what this is all about - afterall, I should retire at some time....and wow, I must say this Forum is really amazing. I've been a guest for at least 6 months now and would like to participate. So, best to introduce myself first before you see any posts or replies from me. I work in a large international firm in Hong Kong and I think it's a great job offering lots of opportunities. It keeps me busy, develops me intellectually and I still have time for hobbies which includes travelling, golfing, reading, movies, gym, etc. Just to clarify - I have time partly because I don't need a lot of sleep and I don't have children. I realise that my hobbies don't really require me to interact with a lot of people and am afraid I may lose the social factor when I retire. I hope this forum will help me find out whether I'm pyscologically ready to retire and of course, financially too. On the latter, I've more or less worked out money is never enough. Also, I'm careful with money but do enjoy a bit of luxury when I travel. My worst fear is to give up a good job (which is not easy to come by) thinking I'll enjoy early retirement and find that I don't.

:confused:

Welcome Moscyn. We are looking forward to you sharing your unique insights and experiences.

Hi Moscyn and welcome aboard!

Living and working in Hong Kong must be fascinating. I hope as time goes by you'll tell us more. We have members from around the world and I enjoy hearing from folks in so many different places.

Coach

Welcome, Moscyn. Were you born in Hong Kong?

The lady who cuts my hair is going back for a visit soon. She says she wants to renew her Hong Kong ID card, apparently has a three-way citizenship(?)

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Nope, not born in Hong Kong. Born in Malaysia which I read in one of the threads here is one of the less expensive place to retire. That's true, I must say.

It keeps me busy, develops me intellectually and I still have time for hobbies which includes travelling, golfing, reading, movies, gym, etc. Just to clarify - I have time partly because I don't need a lot of sleep and I don't have children. I realise that my hobbies don't really require me to interact with a lot of people and am afraid I may lose the social factor when I retire.

Welcome aboard. Not needing sleep and not having children are equivalent, as is the opposite, needing sleep and having children :)

As far as hobbies, I think hobbies like yours, that don't require a lot of interaction, are actually good for retirement. Once you retire you'll find that your work network goes away, and self-directed hobbies are good because they allow you to live within your own space and interests. And, if you do need more interaction, volunteering is a better way to do so than through hobbies, at least that's been my experience.

Back
Top Bottom