Forum Update - We're back! Ask your questions here.

Can I remove my own post if it was pointed out it was redundant and thus probably annoying?

I believe it depends on whether the edit window is still open. So if you find you are able to edit it, you can probably delete it. However, if that doesn't work or you are past the edit window, just contact any of the moderators by PM ("conversation" is the new lingo) and we'll help.

Thank you moderators for all your time and effort!

At the end of a "conversation" there are two boxes--one about inviting anyone and one about locked so there are no replies. Does that include a reply from the poster we started the conversation with?

Thank you moderators for all your time and effort!

At the end of a "conversation" there are two boxes--one about inviting anyone and one about locked so there are no replies. Does that include a reply from the poster we started the conversation with?
I have initiated a conversation with you as a test. Then, together we can report to the rest of the members how it works.

Thank you, Gumby for initiating a test. I received your what I assume to be a reply to my conversation and hopefully this reply is what you requested of me.

Is there any way to add a watched link to the "New Posts" and "What's New" Results? I understand if one goes to a forum then a "Watched" link is visible.

TIA
It would have been nice to get some kind of a response to this, even if it cannot or will not be implemented. Either way would be good. :(

Thank you, Gumby for initiating a test. I received your what I assume to be a reply to my conversation and hopefully this reply is what you requested of me.
Great. What I believe we have established is that when I initiated a conversation with you and checked the "lock conversation/no responses" box, you were unable to respond in the conversation, so you replied via this thread. Essentially, then, checking that box makes it a one way private conversation. I can send you a message. No one but you can see it. But you cannot respond to me.

I will now initiate another conversation with you, without checking the lock conversation box. See if you can reply in the conversation to that.

To follow up, I commenced a "conversation" with Lovely Linda without checking the "lock conversation" box and she was able to reply directly to me in the conversation. I think we have now nailed down how the "lock conversation" box works. If you check it, the person will get your message but will not be able to respond privately to you within the conversation. Although it would seem odd for me to commence a conversation and not want a response, I'm glad I know how this works.

Thank you, Lovely Linda, for helping me figure this out. As ever, this board is a joint learning exercise and I really appreciate your participation. I think we have provided a valuable service to our fellow members.

The "Latest posts" column at right shows 10 posts. It feels like the quantity had been greater on the prior board, but perhaps I am misremembering. I'd not mind upping the number to 15 or even 20 but find no configuration option for doing that.

I believe it depends on whether the edit window is still open. So if you find you are able to edit it, you can probably delete it. However, if that doesn't work or you are past the edit window, just contact any of the moderators by PM ("conversation" is the new

I believe it depends on whether the edit window is still open. So if you find you are able to edit it, you can probably delete it. However, if that doesn't work or you are past the edit window, just contact any of the moderators by PM ("conversation" is the new lingo) and we'll help.
IDK how. I am not using the new forum much cause it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense and I can't see much per page. I"m sure it is a "me" problem rather than a forum issue. I didn't even know you had replied to this so my notifications must be not right. I get others but not this one.

Hi!
Want to know if there is an easier way to do the following:
-Sometimes I read a thread and realize that it would help me understand the context better if the OP has one of those posting where they provide information about their retirement situation. Typically this will be an introduction thread they wrote early when they joined or when they are about to take the plunge in retirement.
-In the old portal I would simply click on the poster name (at the left) and quickly hit the link to the last page of all his post and look there. I would take a few seconds and 2 or 3 click to ge there.
-Now, I still click on the postern name and then on the "postings" link, but then I'm presented with a "see more" button that takes me to a list of up to 20 pages with the OP posts. I then have to click on the last page, which then shows another "View older results" button. When click on that I get another page that is the start of 20 pages of posting. If the poster has many post (a lot of people here), then this cycle repeats and it take a very long time / many click to get to the poster first post.

So is there a better way to get to the OP first post in the group?

On a side note, the link for the pages "1,2,3 ... 20" is only at the bottom, so there is a lot of scrolling down just to be able to click on the last page 20

Thanks

Choosing from the Latest Posts column at right brings up the corresponding topic but does not unbold it. That's an unwelcome change from the prior board because when I next look at the Latest Posts, the topic I just read is still bold, making me think more was added to it even though that is not correct.

Choosing from the Latest Posts column at right brings up the corresponding topic but does not unbold it. That's an unwelcome change from the prior board because when I next look at the Latest Posts, the topic I just read is still bold, making me think more was added to it even though that is not correct.
If you reload the page, that latest post topic will be un-bolded if nothing else has been added in the interim.

Yes, I'd noticed that. Would be nice of a reload was not needed, easier on the server too, I'd think.

I cannot attach any PDF files. When I open the attach files it only shows pictures, no other documents

I cannot attach any PDF files. When I open the attach files it only shows pictures, no other documents
Try again. A SW issue was identified and has now been corrected.

Hopefully my last question:
Sometimes I'll start a post to a thread and then change my mind and decide not to comment. In the old format, there was a 'cancel' button.

Now, unless I manually back out of what I started to write, (backspace everything) including someone's post that I might be quoting, it stays there 'unposted'. That is, I can leave the site completely and come back a few hours later and still see what I have not (yet) posted.

If there is a cancel button, I haven't found it.

Hopefully my last question:
Sometimes I'll start a post to a thread and then change my mind and decide not to comment. In the old format, there was a 'cancel' button.

Now, unless I manually back out of what I started to write, (backspace everything) including someone's post that I might be quoting, it stays there 'unposted'. That is, I can leave the site completely and come back a few hours later and still see what I have not (yet) posted.

If there is a cancel button, I haven't found it.
I haven’t seen any cancel button. I highlight the text, then select all, then hit the backspace or delete button once, which removes the entire contents of the text reply window.

Looks like we have some new additions to the “like” emoji. Hovering over the like brings a window with additional options. Far right is “thanks”

Attachments

• IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 7
I haven’t seen any cancel button. I highlight the text, then select all, then hit the backspace or delete button once, which removes the entire contents of the text reply window.
Right. I miss the cancel button especially when using my phone or tablet.

The "Latest posts" column at right shows 10 posts. It feels like the quantity had been greater on the prior board, but perhaps I am misremembering. I'd not mind upping the number to 15 or even 20 but find no configuration option for doing that.

Thanks, I noticed this as well, too short a list of postings..

If you use the page back arrow while your cursor is still in the reply box, it will erase the content.

Back
Top Bottom