July 1989 Money Magazine: Where to put $1000 Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

njhowie

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thank TheWizard.

No skin off my back.

Last edited:
Fascinating!! Thanks
Edit: that’s why most of my efforts to declutter fail. I call it encyclopedia syndrome.

Last edited:
I'd scoff at the "advice," but Money Magazine got me motivated to start investing in equity mutual funds about that time. Twentieth Century Ultra, baby!

I wonder if Hans Utsch and Larry Auriana had a two-page ad for their Kaufmann Fund in your issue -- sleeves rolled up, and ready to go to work for a paltry 2.25% management fee.

To its credit, Money ran a lengthy article on Auriana and Utsch in 1998 pointing out their fund's weak performance vs. exorbitant fees. By then, of course, the duo had made a zillion dollars and Money was riding the boomer bull market, so it could afford to alienate a big advertiser. https://williamgreenwrites.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Do-These-Guys-Deserve-60-Million-a-Year_.pdf

Oh my goodness, Mutual Funds with a 5.75% Load ?!?!
What's the matter....was a 6% Load too high to advertise ??

I think Nancy Reagan's Astrologist probably had the best idea of them all.

That's a rather long quote from Money.
Perhaps after 34 years, copyright restrictions no longer apply...

Arthur Rosenberg, Jenkintown, PA financial manager whose clients include the recently retired baseball slugger Mike Schmidt (1988 salary: $2.25 million) and catcher Bob Boone ($883,000): "I would give $200 to the Philadelphia Child Guidance Clinic and another $200 to the ALS Association (for Lou Gehrig's disease). I'd invest in $90 worth of baseball cards, and, for $10, I'd join a really good dating service. With the remaining $500, I'd go away for a long weekend and think about what I'd do if I had some real money."

My kind of guy!

"by 2025 everyone will long for Big Bird." :LOL:

So true!

"Sunny day sweeping the clouds away...."

This thread no longer has a topic, so it’s closed.

As a reminder, if anyone feels a post is in some way inappropriate, please use the “post report” function to bring it to the attention of the moderator team. It can be found under the username of every post.

Attachments

• IMG_3446.jpeg
    IMG_3446.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 83
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom