Just filed my Federal tax return

I could not find anywhere to enter it. In years past there was a specific question about the $300 for non itemizers but I have not seen that this year. I will try as you suggested.
I chose which sections I wanted to work on and don't remember any issues with finding it. Maybe if you had them guide you through everything they skipped this or you missed it.

I e-filed and so far everything is OK. The Fed was accepted and DC is pending. I couldn't print the DC filing since some forms are not available to print yet which seems odd.
I got that too, for my VA state. I think I had some issue with e-filing state last year and vowed to go back to printing it and mailing it in, so I'll do that again this year. But I can't print until they let me. https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a....ility/turbotax_states_windows_individual.html shows form availability by state and it shows 2/19 for some VA forms that I don't think apply to me.

I'll have to go back and see what happened with the state e-file last year. I think I paid the $20 and wound up having to mail it in anyway. EDIT: Found it. My state return was rejected at first. TT informed me and said they had a fix, and told me how to get it. The fix mentioned how to refile my California return. But I think the instructions worked for Virginia too. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Last edited:
Somebody posted that he efiled through his accountant's software, and it was hacked and caused major woes. I wonder if the IRS website's free online tax filing is less prone to being hacked. My current thinking is that paper filing may be safer from hacking.

This is true. I prefer paper filing for that reason. But IRS delays give me pause, depending on refund status. But unless large refund, just apply overage to current year to simplify things.

I owe a bunch for state so not rushing. Brokerage 1099s keep you from rushing.

I always apply the refund. Always make estimated payments too.

A big refund reduces the payments - :)

I always apply the refund. Always make estimated payments too.

A big refund reduces the payments - :)

I am thinking of doing this this time because I am due a big refund and I expect to owe for my 2022 taxes a year from now. I just have to figure out how to split up the refund to get me close for next time.

I don't really understand why applying the refund to next year is attractive, unless you are filing near 4/15. I'd rather do all of my tax paying with one method (estimated quarterly payments) than have to look at multiple places. Plus I'd rather have use of my own money longer. I guess if you don't want to enter your bank info to get the refund, or trust the US mail?

I could not find anywhere to enter it. In years past there was a specific question about the $300 for non itemizers but I have not seen that this year. I will try as you suggested.

After digging I found the $600 for non itemizers on Turbo Tax. TT put in only $300 at first but I kept looking around and was able to change it to $600 since I am fining a joint return. Saved me a few bucks in taxes.

I don't really understand why applying the refund to next year is attractive, unless you are filing near 4/15. I'd rather do all of my tax paying with one method (estimated quarterly payments) than have to look at multiple places. Plus I'd rather have use of my own money longer. I guess if you don't want to enter your bank info to get the refund, or trust the US mail?

In past years when I have had a small refund (a few hundred dollars) I just apply it to the next years taxes so I don't have to worry about getting a refund. It is taking months for some people to get their refunds.

In past years when I have had a small refund (a few hundred dollars) I just apply it to the next years taxes so I don't have to worry about getting a refund. It is taking months for some people to get their refunds.
Thanks for replying. My refund came in 17 days last year. With direct deposit, I'm not worried anyway. Just wondering if I was missing something.

I unfortunately still owe another $40k in Fed Taxes this year (on top of the several hundred thousand already paid) so I'll be waiting as late as possible to file. Electronically, always electronically.

My heavens, you must be a zillionaire!
I certainly wish I was!

I don't understand how so many of you on this thread have already filed. I don't even receive several 1099s until late Feb. But on that note, am I the only one who is kind of giddy about getting Turbotax and loading up those numbers? It seems irrational because I know that I will owe a chunk of dough this year like most years. So why am I so excited?

I E-filed 1/28/2022

I E-filed 1/28/2022 via the free TurboTax site just like last year. Today, 1/29/2022 I got the Email that the IRS accepted my return. I am NOT
holding my breath until I get my $169 refund.

I don't understand how so many of you on this thread have already filed. I don't even receive several 1099s until late Feb.
I was surprised to see my Vanguard statement already. I just looked at their schedule https://investor.vanguard.com/investor-resources-education/taxes/investment-tax-forms and they have three groups, "depending on whether you have a complex financial portfolio or not." The "or not" would sound like there are two groups, but whatever. I think not having an international fund in taxable moved me to group one. The rest of my statements are 1099-INT for CDs and savings accounts. I had the statements and a free afternoon, so I did my taxes. Let them sit for a day, checked them over, and filed. Might as well get that I Bond sooner rather than later.

But on that note, am I the only one who is kind of giddy about getting Turbotax and loading up those numbers? It seems irrational because I know that I will owe a chunk of dough this year like most years. So why am I so excited?
Another numbers freak here. I think I like updating my own spreadsheets at the end of the month, and especially the end of the year better, but filling in TurboTax is satisfying too.

I don't understand how so many of you on this thread have already filed. I don't even receive several 1099s until late Feb. But on that note, am I the only one who is kind of giddy about getting Turbotax and loading up those numbers? It seems irrational because I know that I will owe a chunk of dough this year like most years. So why am I so excited?

You might look into volunteering for AARP Foundation Tax Aide, where you can get that same excitement doing other people's taxes for free!

You can also file your own and friends and family's taxes for free through their software. A perk for volunteers.

You also get free training, which will keep you up to date on tax law changes, which can in turn save you and your family thousands of dollars in taxes.

I'm in my third year and really enjoy it, although COVID has been a difficult headwind. There is at least one other poster here who also volunteers with Tax Aide.

As to your question, there are lots of people who just have a W-2 and maybe a 1099-INT who can file their taxes now. We start doing taxes on Monday at Tax Aide, and we'll have people coming in. Another category is people on Social Security - they'll have their SSA-1099 and maybe a 1099-INT for some CDs, and that's about it.

Also, people who are lower income - perhaps a couple with two or three W-2 jobs and maybe two young kids - these folks might be able to qualify for the child tax credit, the dependent care credit, and EIC, which could easily total $5K or $10K this year. They want, and often need, that infusion into their family budget as soon as possible and it could be a quarter or more of their budget for the year. Although CTC and EIC refunds are, by law, held until 2/15 IIRC, filing now and using e-file and direct deposit means they can get that money ASAP.

Anyone else finding a lot of bugs in the online Turbo Tax? For example, a bug that does allow a Qualified Charitable Contribution from DH's IRA (there is a very messy work around). Also I can't figure out how to get the $600 charitable deduction for non itemizers. It does not seem that Turbo Tax is up to date.

TurboTax wanted me to submit all the forms necessary for itemized deductions when I do not have enough deductions to benefit. The search box did not easily lead to any solution.

I finally was able to delete the unnecessary forms but it took me a while to do so.

Once I had completed the federal taxes I got the notice that the state tax forms are not available yet... "would you like to submit the federal taxes and complete the State taxes later". Ummm, "No"!

I have been filing my own taxes using TurboTax for many years. Over the past several years the data entry process has become more complex than necessary and the controls to move around in the software more cumbersome.

Hopefully they are having temporary problems and next year will be better.

On a side note, I got a message from TDA and FIDO informing me my financial forms would not be ready for months. However, I went on the website for each and searched and was able to find the completed forms.

Given the debacle with getting my refund last year (they took so long they had to pay me interest on it), I have decided to take the plunge and e-file for the very first time this year. Yesterday, I signed up for the EFTPS so that I can more easily make estimated payments this year. I understand that they will send me a PIN in the mail to complete the process.

My question is - do I need that EFTPS account in place before I can e-file my tax return? It is otherwise ready to go.

I have pretty much finished my taxes, with Turbo Tax. Apparently, one or two of the questions on the forms haven't been finalized. It won't affect the fact that I owe no tax to either the Feds or the state (and get no refunds from either), but I guess I need to wait a bit longer before filing.

Given the debacle with getting my refund last year (they took so long they had to pay me interest on it), I have decided to take the plunge and e-file for the very first time this year. Yesterday, I signed up for the EFTPS so that I can more easily make estimated payments this year. I understand that they will send me a PIN in the mail to complete the process.

My question is - do I need that EFTPS account in place before I can e-file my tax return? It is otherwise ready to go.

No, you can file without the EFTPS account in place. If you owe money, you will either have to mail a check in with a voucher or have them pull it from your bank account that you give them permission to do via the electronic filing of the return.

If you are getting a refund, they can send you a check or you could have it deposited in your bank account.

Last edited:
Anyone else finding a lot of bugs in the online Turbo Tax?

I tried TurboTax a few years ago as a check on my spreadsheet. I got total garbage from it, and my taxes aren't that tough to do. I couldn't even fudge my numbers to try to match anything I expected. I tossed it in the trash. From my admittedly warped perspective, I have no idea how TT works correctly for anyone. I'll stick with my spreadsheet as I have done for the last 26 of the 36 years I have been completing my tax forms. I don't trust E-filing, either. I'll print out my forms and mail them in.

I tried to e-file with HR Block yesterday but, apparently, there's a form that won't be finalized until early February.

I won't even consider snail mail given the IRS problems managing paper during the pandemic. Usually I snail mail the state return but I may pay to e-file that this year.

I am in exactly the same position.

E-filed mine on the 26th of Jan and its being deposited tonight. That was the quickest one yet.

I'm all ready to e-file mine, except I still need one 1099 (for about $200! :banghead: ). It was supposed to arrive in January but it's late.

SO glad that my taxes are coming along this well, since I really didn't know if Covid brain fog was going to slow me down. It didn't! :D Looks like I am getting refunds of around $1800 federal, $450 state. One health related thing I did notice, is that I need a bright light to see the numbers on those paper forms now, due to old age I suppose. I figure that out about halfway through and the second half was much more pleasant than the beginning.

As for how I could possibly be getting refunds? I like sending a little extra on my estimated taxes, which makes the whole process more fun since the refund then seems like a "reward". I also buy Turbotax when I could do them by hand perfectly well, because it makes the chore less tedious.

Yeah, I always file in April. Don't want to deal with corrected 1099's. Oh, and the interest loss, the "use" what's that, .01%?

We e-filed our return last night. We could have filed earlier but were waiting on the Feb 3rd H&R Block update for one of the forms we needed. We were also waiting on Vanguard to make the importable forms available, also Feb 3rd coincidentally.

Our initial filing was rejected because last years AGI didn't match on the return. The autofill was wrong, and while I thought I had corrected the entry, it reverted to the original entry without knowing it. Turns out you have to "override" the entry from the menu bar. Not exactly user friendly, but I figured it out, resubmitted, and it was accepted by IRS.

This was my second year to use the H&R Block software. It went fairly smooth, though we had to wade through a lot of stuff that didn't apply to us. So that made it more confusing. It was also annoying that we had to skip through all of the itemized deductions before we could select the standard deduction. We have NEVER had enough deductions to itemize so it would be nice if we could just select the standard deduction and ignore pages of itemized questions. Oh well, once a year and it's done.

We'll be getting a refund, which we always use to pay most of our property taxes. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom