Just got back from North Myrtle Beach

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Beach is beautiful, crowds don't exist, bargain shopping ($6 for a hoodie), oceanfront condo for under $40 a day. Found a vast amount of neat shells (auger, olives, one huge sharks tooth, a few whole sand dollars). Only problem is that we encountered the coldest January in a long time. 2017 had 21 days in January above 60. We encountered 7 above 60. And 20 nights where it got below freezing.

We had hoped that global warming would be our friend, but...

Looking at FLA next January.

This is my view today from Michigan. I don't know that 7 days above 60 is all that bad. Did you get any golf in on those days?

mtb4sxmbkeevjrl0.JPG

Last edited:
We're headed to Myrtle Beach on Wednesday.Wll stay for 2-4 weeks. 2 weeks already booked - may add a couple more. Love it there anytime from September to May. :dance:

I also spent January in Myrtle Beach.
Real cheap in January, but not a whole lot to do. The snowbirds I met were all saying it was the coldest January they ever stayed. Slipped on the ice and had a ten day back ache. No below zero f days though so beat staying home.
Myrtle was my Plan A but I'm glad it didn't work out. The more time I spend there the more I see I don't want to be where the old folks live yet.
Nice place to visit, don't want to live there anymore.

My parents lived there for over 30 years- we always enjoyed visiting there. Yes, it's VERY commercial and ticky-tacky but you couldn't beat the cost of an oceanfront room, especially this time of year.

Myrtle Beach is where you and your 3 best buddies go for a week or golf. They have more golf courses than anywhere on earth--well over 100 courses.

Otherwise, I avoid the place. It is like a Florida resort town--but colder.

Shoulder seasons are very cheap (half price) and not crowded. Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, etc.

That's the ticket right there. Especially fall shoulder season (which starts the Tuesday after Labor Day or by the end of September at NC and SC beaches). Water is still warm from the summer and air temps hover in the 70's and 80's most of the day. I find the weather more agreeable in mid-late September and early October than the peak season of June-August because you can often stay at the beach all day and not get too burnt or dehydrated.

And the rates are 1/3 the peak season in my experience. We booked a 4 BR oceanfront house where you walk out onto the beach for just a touch over $100/nt in late Sept for many years (think it's up to $900-1000/wk + tax now). That was Topsail / Surf City in NC.

Back
Top Bottom