Kitchen tools and gadgets

I have a hard time finding digital scalesthat operate to my satisfaction. Wine making uses metric measures for most recipes, but some scales read only even or odd numbers. Sometimes if I need, say, 4 grams, I have to measure backwards. Weigh out 16 grams, then take that container and measure out 12 grams, leaving 4 grams in 1st container. Three scales I have used start at zero, then blow by the single digits, and show a measurement of 10 grams. But maybe DW is buying cheapo scales for me, but her kitchen scales do the same thing.

For measuring such small amounts, a postal scale would probably do the trick for you. This is a pretty good one:
https://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scales-BT2-201-Digital/dp/B001TZ92TK?ref_=Oct_UPriceC_1068986_3&pf_rd_r=XXFN99RKNK22P9Y5FC38&pf_rd_p=d9be3cd8-d800-53c4-8f15-faba1e1ddf30&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=1068986&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have a hard time finding digital scalesthat operate to my satisfaction. Wine making uses metric measures for most recipes, but some scales read only even or odd numbers. Sometimes if I need, say, 4 grams, I have to measure backwards. Weigh out 16 grams, then take that container and measure out 12 grams, leaving 4 grams in 1st container. Three scales I have used start at zero, then blow by the single digits, and show a measurement of 10 grams. But maybe DW is buying cheapo scales for me, but her kitchen scales do the same thing.

The ozeri scale above is the one DW uses.

Here's the one I bought in 2015, mostly for measuring small amounts for my brewing hobby (small hop additions and minerals), and have been happy with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SC3LLS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a little small for kitchen use though. A medium size plate can block the screen.

But like timers, the devil is in the details, and it's hard to tell from an ad, but this one has features that I Iike.

A) Tare function (a must).

B) grams, oz, and a few others.

C) The big one for me: The Tare function works backwards too. Other digital scales Ive used just go "---" if you remove something after you did a Tare function. With this, you can decide to remove X grams after you hit "Tare". It will show in negative amounts how much was removed. Sometimes you want to work backwards.

D) Not sure, I'd need to try, but I hate it when they time out too fast, and you loose the "Tare" value. I don't recall this being a problem, with this one though it is with my kitchen scale.

E) takes the common, cheap AAA batteries (2).

Handy Tip for all scales: A US nickel coin weighs almost exactly... 5 grams! What an odd coincidence? But it makes it easy to remember, and if you ever question the scale, just start stacking clean nickels on it (I have a bunch I save, as I hate carrying coins). This one always reads within x.1 gram of the stack.

-ERD50

One thing I bought when we were actively losing weight was a food scale. Today it's the most used appliance in the kitchen. Measuring cups are only used as a means to weigh the ingredients. The dough I make today is soooooo much better than ever before. We even weigh the dogs food.

I use mine to weigh yarn. :)

(split a ball of yarn so that each sock has the same amount when knit up.)

That scale is a multipurpose tool!

Last edited:
I'm very pleased with my Ozeri scale, seems accurate and repeatable, have had it for 7 years and haven't replaced the batteries (2-AAA) yet.

Have had a scale for years that is an essential tool. Especially things like molasses...try to measure a half cup or just weigh 4 oz into the bowl? It's an Escali brand. Tares well, can select between oz, grams, or lb and oz. FWIW I recall when selecting they (who? I don't know) recommended getting a scale that uses AA batteries and not the button kind. That way you likely always have spares on hand, although I think 2032 is one I have in my battery box.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom